SSRG IRC Channel

Discussion in 'Site News' started by OrdosAlpha, Mar 23, 2011.

1. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

For quite a while the SSRG had an IRC channel on voice's Random Sonic Net IRC server, it then became the defacto official channel. Then MarkeyJester created a channel on Badnik.net last August. But, as of today, voice has decided to close down his IRC server due to inactivity. The closure has paved the way for channel on Badnik.net to become the defacto official channel, and it should be noted that the badnik channel was more active than the RSN channel.

The current way to access the chatroom comes in two forms, the Web Client way and the IRC Client way, both have their pluses and negatives.

IRC Clients, these are probably going to be the preferred way to join in on the real-time discussions taking place on the IRC channel. For pluses to this, you can go to multiple networks, IE: BadnikNET or Sonic-CulT's networks, you can customise your client so that it works best for you, you can also download and install scripts in your IRC client to do anything. The downside is this is something that has to be downloaded and installed on your computer. For a list of clients see the end of this post.

So recapping, Web Clients for work/school or computers you don't want to install a IRC client on, IRC Clients for everything else.

Server Information

Address: irc.rustedlogic.net

Channel: #ssrg (for relay to and from Discord's #ssrg channel), #ssrg_showcase (for relay to and from Discord's #showcase channel)

Ports: 5190, 6660-6669, 8067

SSL Port: 6697

Rules

(Copy-pasta'd from ScarredSun's IRC Retro rules (will remove if requested), but seeing has both channels are on Badnik, then the SSRG channel will have users abide by the same rules.

1. Don't be a dick. IRC is used as a means for the community to chill out and have fun, and when you come into the channel with a chip on your shoulder, you spoil the experience for everyone. Don't start fights with people over petty things and be a jackass simply because you have the capacity to. You don't have to talk to or like everyone (that's what /ignore is for), but you don't have to screw it up for everyone else.

"Being a dick" also covers things like linking to shock images, being confrontational with the staff or flooding/bullshitting because the chat is dead. You know what dickish behavior is. Just don't do it.

2. No linespanning, ASCII dumping, or bigtext. When there's a flood of text it's hard to talk. You may paste conversations or article snippets into the chat, but try to keep it to around 8-10 lines max.

3. DCC SEND exploit = Instant ban.

4. Be nice to bots. Do not abuse DocScratch. If you want to bring a bot of your own onto the network, please contact Scarred Sun or xkeeper first.

5. Save the drama for your mama. We tend to not react well to people whining. If you're banned, you're banned—don't bitch about it. If you get kicked/killed/banned/whatever for doing something, take the hint, and, uh, don't do it.

6. If you link to NWS content, please note that by saying NWS.

7. Don't piss off the ops. Unless you want to get banned, anyway.

IRC Clients

Windows

mIRC

X-Chat

ChatZilla

Linux

BitchX - Command Line Interface only!

X-Chat

ChatZilla

OS X

Colloquy

X-Chat Aqua

ChatZilla

If for some reason you can't connect to the server for whatever reason (such as being zlined), contact Xkeeper about it and send him an email. Don't come complaining to us, we can't help you here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2016
  2. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

Ok, but can you change the link at the top of the header, to open an web client to irc.badnik.net #ssrg?

3. OrdosAlpha

The forum header link will need tweaking by QJimbo. And that will be done the next time he ain't busy with this thing some us call a life.

How lazy must you be that you can't type in a fucking IRC URL for a web based client or use an actual IRC client like X-chat?

4. Tongara

Tongara Well-Known Member Exiled

I love you so much for this post. <3

5. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

I have spoken to Qjimbo a while ago when I was talking about having the header changed and the best option if a web client should be linked is to create a Mibbit widget for the channel.

6. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Can't we just put an IRC link there? Like:

irc://irc.badnik.net/ssrg

?

I think, this is the best solution and I could do it right now.

Infact, I'm going to do it now, seeing that this would serve a bigger purpose than putting a dead li--- oh wait, I don't have FTP access right now, because it's down for whatever reason again. Qjimbo, better appear as fast as possible!

7. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

Okay, just wait...

Hey, the BitchX client cant be downloaded from that webpage

and

Calm down, thats just a suggestion :(

8. OrdosAlpha

The Bitch-X client CAN BE downloaded from THAT link. You're just blind. Stop wanking 24/7. It's making you blind.

9. GalliumGrant

GalliumGrant Void. Member

Look guys, I admit. I'm having trouble getting on the IRC because I don't know what I'm doing. Whenever I try something new,

I have a tendency to get rather... overwhelmed. That doesn't mean you should hold my hand every step of the way, though.

I know to download one of the Web Clients in Ordos' post, and I have. I've tried all of them in the Windows Operating System section,

as I'm on a Windows 7 Laptop. I've tried checking the bulit in help guides inside the Web Client programs, so that I could hopefully get Online the IRC. Unfortunately, I didn't get anywhere. Could I have some help? I'm not doing too well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012
  10. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

1. http://www.silverex.org/download/ -- Download X-Chat 2 (fuck mIRC -- the others on that list are for other OSes)

2. Install

3. Open

4. Check "skip network list on startup"

5. Hit "Close"

6. Reopen Xchat and type in /server irc.badnik.net

7. Once connected, type /j #ssrg

OTHERWISE...

Follow steps 1 -3 and...

click "Add", type new network name, click edit

Under "servers for new network", click "newserver/6667"

Replace that with irc.badnik.net

Under favourite channels, type #ssrg

Click "autoconnect to this network at startup"

Click Close

Click Connect

11. GalliumGrant

GalliumGrant Void. Member

Thank you a ton. I'm now online. :3

12. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Should also be noted that if you are banned and unsure of why you are banned from BadnikNET, please contact the proper BadnikNET administrators. You will not be unbanned if you broke any of the server rules and just want to hang out.

www.badnik.net

They would be more than happy to help you with your issue!

13. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Stuff changed, thread opened again. Use this thread if you want to discuss the channel. We are back on BadnikNET and you are very welcome to join us.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2012
  14. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Seeing how there have been some issues lately concerning bot spam and other shit, if anyone has any issues with the channel post in here.

The IRC Channel information will be shown clearly now on the board index next to the rules, since some people think that the channel has no rules at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014
  15. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Well, I'm all signed up and etc with some help from MM so you may see some more of me there.

Question, can anyone recommend an IRC client for android (mobile)? Got one (that was £2) called IRC (literally), but it doesn't seem like I'm able to talk/send text with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2014
  16. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

You don't even need to buy an app. Get AndChat.

17. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Ah, this is much better. Thanks.

18. Hello I'm New Here, I Really Hope I Can Try To Make A Pretty Cool Sonic Hack Like You Guys!

19. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Just so you know, there's an Introductions Thread for these kinds of posts. Feel free to look around before you post an out of place post or topic; chances are, there's a place for it.

EDIT: Added quote due to page break

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2015
  20. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

It is frowned upon to bump several month old threads!

Please introduce yourself here.

Edit: Ninja'd for the first time.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2015