Sonic 1 big ring

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Jimmy, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy

Jimmy "GIVE HIM BREAD FIST!" Member

In Sonic 1 is it possible to make the big ring that takes you to the special stage put you back to where you went in it, like in S3K? If it is, how would I go about it?

2. Sephiroth

Sephiroth WHY SO CURIOUS?!? Member

I don't think that people would just go and tell you how to do it, but I suggest maybe comparing the big ring code with the code from the S3K ASM file? That might work.

3. GasparXR

GasparXR Rides the metal monster Member

I second that. Just compare them. Maybe copy the code and just change some things so it's fit for Sonic 1, like the filename for the animation and such.

4. shobiz

shobiz Well-Known Member Member

You don't even need to look at the code in Sonic 3k, it's (theoretically) a very simple thing to do. The principle behind it is the same as starposts - some pieces of data are saved in RAM, a flag is set, and the next time the level starts, it checks the flag and loads the saved data. You can take a look at Obj79_StoreInfo and Obj79_LoadInfo to see how they work, and in case you're wondering, the loading data routine is called from within LevSz_ChkLamp.

One thing to be aware of though is that if you use the same locations to store data as the lamppost, whenever you die, Sonic will respawn at the big ring instead of at the lamp post, which probably isn't what you wanted. The only way to solve this problem is to store the data saved at a big ring in some other location and use different routines for saving and loading data at a big ring, but I don't know if Sonic 1 has enough free RAM lying around somewhere for you to do that.

Lol what?

5. GasparXR

GasparXR Rides the metal monster Member

I meant that when it loads the animation it might have a different name in the S1 DASM than the S3 one.

6. Kain

Kain Well-Known Member Member

wouldnt it be possible to expand the ram used in sonic 1?

7. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

You could just make a new object and when Sonic collides with it, make the mode change to special stage. Make it record the point where Sonic jumped in (like the star-posts do). When you go back into the level, make it clear the point where Sonic jumped so when you die, he won't re-appear there.

8. Jimmy

Jimmy "GIVE HIM BREAD FIST!" Member

How would I go about making a new object?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.