Adding new abilities to Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Blaumagier, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blaumagier

Blaumagier Blue Mage Member

I read RHS's ASM Basics guide 3 times. I understand the basic commands and how they affect the values. I tried reading the "Import Sonic 2's spindash into Sonic 1" guide as a sort of reference to tell me how to add abilities but it is doing no good for me. My problem seems to be that I have absolutely no idea at all what the values actually represent.

I want to add the ability to fly when using the C button and the ability to glide and climb when using the B button and the ability to kick when using the A button. Problem is I really just don't know how to do this with ASM because, again, I have no idea what the values represent.

Is there a guide out there that I may have overlooked or just didn't find that covers what the values mean or perhaps someone could help me with this from their own knowledge?

2. Unspoken

Unspoken Well-Known Member Member

To be honest you are jumping in to the deapend here withouth a life jacket, stuff like this is for the advanced users and I think your better off starting with the basics.

3. Blaumagier

That may be, but I am determined to do this. If I don't challenge myself I may never figure it out. It doesn't seem like it is totally out of my reach right now either. I somewhat know bits and pieces of what must be done but its like I'm an inspired artist starting with a blank canvas here and no idea where to start.

I can safely say I am completely totally lost when it comes to getting the gliding, climbing, and flying in there, because physics are scary. But I've got a few ideas on the things I need to establish with the kicking - I just don't know how to go about doing that.

I probably am trying to walk before learning to crawl here but I don't know at all what kind of smaller steps I could take to build my skill and understanding of ASM up. Any suggestions would be helpful too.

4. Kain

Kain Well-Known Member Member

Try looking at the code for Knuckles in the Sonic and Knuckles decompile, that should help you get started.

5. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

6. Blaumagier

I don't really know what I could do that would be basic. I mean I already altered the title cards I needed to. That wasn't tough at all and I easily figured out what values in that string of code did what. If you can suggest some specific exercises to build up my understanding of these values, please do. I really just don't know what to do that would help me out.

For figuring out how to do these abilities I know pretty much what I need to do, just not the values I need to put in there. I know for the kicking ability I need to set up a string of code that checks for the A button to be pressed which causes it to branch to a string that loads up a new animation and checks to see if it is a breakable wall (which would jump to the routine to break the wall) or if it is a spikey enemy (which will make it jump to the routine that hurts Sonic) and then points to the routine that makes Sonic deal damage then return.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.