Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

It would require heavy modification beyond what's been done with Sonic CD so far, without the heavy work being done, the best you could do is probably edit the uncompressed art (if it is uncompressed), and possible modify the mappings, though you'd be severely limited that way.

A disassembly may help in a situation such as this, though as of yet, no-one has disassembled the game or released anything of the kind, in other words, we can't help you at this point, maybe wait a few more years.

2. clarisonic1

clarisonic1 Well-Known Member Member

This question is probably too n00bish for a topic. I downloaded the Sonic RDX hacking contest stand-alone version, and I was wondeering, how do you put the super SADX hack in it?

3. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

I'm not sure what you mean. Why not ask Dude?

4. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

You can't combine the two hacks on an easy way. Download Super SADX and put the .exe over the original one. It could be that the two hacks don't work at all together though.

5. shadowbeasts

shadowbeasts I'm Legend Member

I'm trying to change sonic 1 and sonic 2 from Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive to the Sega CD/Mega CD. I tried in ASM, all I did was change Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive to Sega CD/Mega CD but then I got a lot of errors. Is there something I'm forgetting to do?

6. theocas

theocas #! Member

It's not that easy. The header is a completely different format, and the initalization code is different. Even I tried but I couldn't get it to work. Also, why the hell do we do something and discuss on our IRC channel, and then everyone else wants to do it? Might just be me though.

7. Selbi

The only reason I could think of is because you want to use MP3s right? If that's so, just forget it. Nobody will download a hack so we can hear your music. It's no insult or something, but I can tell you nobody wants that (even Megamix was converted to Mega CD and it was strongly critisized).

8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

^ That.

Because some people subconsciously do it without meaning to entirely, it's where they get so hyped up and enjoy what they saw on one hack, and end up loving it and putting a similar version in their own project, but without the thought or intention of copying someone else's ideas or work, it's like an accident in some cases.

It's sorta like; the HUB world area on your hack being similar to S1EE's, many people's hacks being similar to Megamix's in some respects, some hacks using music that fits the similar vib of Sonic Boom's ever since it's release, then there's the countless amount of hacks that port the same music tracks from the same game *Cough*S3&K*Cough* to the same level slot as each other, I could go on with the list, but you catch my drift.

There's nothing saying it's wrong or deliberate, and I certainly won't hold it against anyone, but it gets boring.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
  9. shadowbeasts

shadowbeasts I'm Legend Member

I didn't want anyone to listen to my music, I just have no Idea how to change mp3s into smps that and I'll have room for more in the rom. That and I can use different graphics. I could try 32X but I'm having problems getting that to work I change Mega Drive to 32X in ASM and fusion still reads the game as Mega Drive is something more I need to do for 32X? If you need to know this is for the Sonic's 20th Anniversary Hacks.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
  10. theocas

theocas #! Member

OK, I ned some help here. I ported the Palmtree Panic Past background ported, and I also want the pallet cycle for the water ported, but I don't exactly know what to put for ?? below:

lea ($FFFFFB60).w,a1

;move.l (a0,d0.w),(a1)+

;move.l 4(a0,d0.w),(a1)

; move.l (a2,d0.w),(a1)+

move.l ??(a2,d0.w),(a1)

I tried all kinds of values, but I can't seem to get it right. Please help me!

11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

That depends on where in the palette buffer you'd like to write to.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010
  12. theocas

theocas #! Member

What do you mean? It seems as if the rotating pallet applies to pallet line 4, the first 3 colors. I still can't figure it out.

13. MikkiMars

MikkiMars Newcomer Member

I recently made a Sonic CD music overhawl "hack," not the same one I mentioned where the tracks sometimes were out of sync, but I downloaded the American version, which runs on a .bin file instead of a .iso, and I replaced all of the tracks except the credits and cutscene following the title (which is now S/K) to music from Sonic 3/K and Sonic 2 with a song from 3D and a song from Chaotix. However, I wanted to also replace the songs in the past, but they're not listen in tracks, as only tracks 2-36 r listed in the ROM's folder. Can anyone help me change the "past" songs or tell me how to do it? I was gonna make the following songs "past" tracks for the SCD zones in order: "Green Hill," "Spring Yard," "Aquatic Ruin," "Hidden Palace (SK)," "Scrap Brain," "Star Light," and Sky Chase," and if you know all the game's zones, you can see how they kind of fit in.

14. theocas

theocas #! Member

The past tracks are in PCM format for whatever reason, so you can't edit them without encoding the MP3's as PCMs and HEX-editing them into the bin, but then you'll shift stuff around. So you just replaced the MP3 files in the folder of the game? I'd put them into the bin.

15. DeoxysKyogre

DeoxysKyogre No idea what to put here .-. Member

Okay, I've been trying to get a monitor that multiplies your number of rings x2 with this code:

Code:
    				cmpi.b	#$C,d0	&#59; does monitor contain a multiply x2 ring?

bne.s	Obj2E_ChkEnd

lsl.b   #1,d1&#59; Shifting to the left, moving one byte to d1

move.b  d1,($FFFFFE20).w&#59; this line makes identify that we want to multiply rings (d0 identifies rings RAM)

ori.b	#1,($FFFFFE1D).w&#59; update the ring counter
    But I break the monitor, and all it does is putting in my ring counter shoe 46 as the number of rings. Does anyone know the problem? Thanks in advance.

16. Selbi

Two things I can get from this code. First, you edit d1 without even putting something in it. Second, you are moving it as byte, but rings is a word. Basically, your code should look like this:

cmpi.b #$C,d0 ; does monitor contain a multiply x2 ring?
    bne.s Obj2E_ChkEnd ; if not, branch

move.w ($FFFFFE20).w,d1 ; load rings into d1

lsl.w #1,d1 ; double it

move.w d1,($FFFFFE20).w ; move output back into $FE20

ori.b #1,($FFFFFE1D).w ; update the ring counter

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2010
  17. DeoxysKyogre

Fixed, thank you =)

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

What Selbi said, with the exception of changing lsl.w #1,d1 to add.w d1,d1, it'll process quicker.

The past tracks are in a modified SMPS format that's created to use PCM samples rather than frequency modulation or square wave sounds, each of these tracks are stored in several banks (a bank for each level), the bank will contain, the sound driver software (SMPS mod in MC68), the SMPS track data, and the PCM samples (including the SFX samples for Sonic's 1-up, the pinball bumpers, amy's voice, and a select load of others).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2010
  19. DeoxysKyogre

Well, I made Sonic perform a Spike Blast move like in the SaTam game. But, I have trouble with making it kill enemies when they interact with enemies. I and Selbi tried to fix it. I'll explain how exactly I did it:

In obj23_frombuzz, obj23_animate and obj23_animate2 I added this line:

Code:
    bsr.w   TouchResponse_Projectile
    And below:

Code:
    include "_maps\obj23.asm"
    I inserted this code:

Code:
    TouchResponse_Projectile:

moveq	#0,d1		&#59; clear d1

move.w	8(a0),d1	&#59; move bullet's X-position into d1

sub.w	8(a1),d1

tst.w	d1

bpl.s	TR_XPositive

neg.w	d1		&#59; otherwise make it positive

TR_XPositive:

cmpi.w	#10,d1		&#59; is distance between enemy and bullet less than 10 pixels?

bgt.s	TR_P_Ignore	&#59; if not, branch

move.w	$C(a0),d1	&#59; move bullet's Y-position into d1

sub.w	$C(a1),d1	&#59; substract enemy's Y-position from it

tst.w	d1

bpl.s	TR_YPositive	&#59; if result positive? if yes, branch

neg.w	d1		&#59; otherwise make it positive

TR_YPositive:

cmpi.w	#10,d1		&#59; is distance between enemy and bullet less than 10 pixels?

bgt.s	TR_P_Ignore	&#59; if not, branch

move.b	#4,$24(a1)	&#59; set enemy's routine counter to 4 (ObjXX_Delete). 

TR_P_Ignore:

rts			&#59; return

Please, help!

20. Hanoch

Hanoch Well-Known Member Member

You need to load the enemy object in a1. Also branching to ObjXX_Delete isn't always on the 4th routine. Instead you should copy Touch_KillEnemy and change it so it deletes the bullet when hitting.