Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

You know...

Draw new art using a program like Graphics gale, make sure you're using a palette that matches the palette in the game. Like this:

[​IMG]

then cut it into 8x8 tiles and arrange them so they can be mapped out efficiently. Like this:

[​IMG]

(this could have been done with less pieces)

So you end up with something like this, ready to be imported: (save as a .tga file)

[​IMG]

Then you can use SonED2 to open a dummy project file (one that is not used for any level, and contains no art) to import the art and save. Then you can load that art into SonMapED and map it out.

Graphics gale lets you use a grid that can be set to 8x8, it makes things easier.

Edit:

SonMapEd does have an art importing feature, but I don't like using that.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012
  2. CrashSG32

CrashSG32 Classy and I know it Member

Okay, I'll give that a try and let you know how I go! :D

3. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Or you could just do it in paint, it isn't too hard really. Just follow the guide that Markey Jester posted above.

4. FinkMac

FinkMac Swëdish Chef Member

Walk down the street. You will see a car. Tell the
    Very easy actually...

I have noticed it tends to export the sprite borders, causing problems when re-importing them into SonMapEd...

This can be fixed by Fill tooling the borders to be the same colour as the transparent part of the sprite...

5. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

I know it isn't hard, I was just saying "not too hard" because he is obviously finding something simple, difficult.

6. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

MS Paint doesn't let you view/edit the image palette, and the newer Windows 7 version of paint discards the palette completely as far as I can tell.

It's much better to use a program like graphics gale, and arrange the tiles yourself so that you have more control of everything.

7. DarkLeach

DarkLeach Well-Known Member Member

How would I go about editing the Sonic Art on the title screen (Sonic 1), I can't even open it, and it's in Enigma Compression (I know I'm to sound stupid here), but how do I un-compress it? I can't seem to find something that would help. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :wub:

8. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

Same as the S2 title screen, but if it's in the Enigma compression format you can use TSDC to decompress it. Then again to recompress it after you edit it.

Edit: Though according to the SCHG on retro, it uses the Nemesis compression format. If this is the case then you load it into SonMapEd as is, without decompressing first.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012
  9. DarkLeach

DarkLeach Well-Known Member Member

Then what file is it exactly? I thought it was the file in the "mapeni" folder.

10. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

Oh, mappings (I thought art). I have no idea if those are compressed or not. If they are, then TSDC will decompress them.

11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

If you are referring to the actual sprites (Sonic himself) then they will be sprite mappings in the format of Sonic 2's BuildSprites algorithm, and are "uncompressed", if you are referring to the emblem, then that is part of Plane A, and are in the VDP's format, and are usually compressed in the Enigma format, and can be decompressed using a tool such as TSDC as rika chou said.

12. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

I have a random question. Does Regen support AVI logging? Everytime I go to start logging a AVI, the emulator crashes and closes. I'd use Kega, but my fiancee's computer is in need of repair and i've been using a flashdrive and hacking on my roommate's computer, and I don't want to install the codec on her computer. : Edit: Nevermind, I'm using Gens Movie. :V

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2012
  13. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

You first need to enable "Super Rendering" (under the "Video" tab). You then need to close and re-open Regen. Try then. A warning though, if you ever take a screenshot with this option enabled, the pictures will be BMP instead on PNG.

14. Darkness

Darkness Active Member Member

Hi, long time no see huh? I, um need help again. ^^; Don't worry I remember what we talked about before, but it's been months since I tried this, the only thing I have to ask is, where/how do I save everything I edited in SonmapED?

I tried every way I could try, but the rom is still Sonic, I got this far.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/idc9i8.jpg

Saving is the only thing I'm having trouble with, thinking of starting over clean since I tried to save so many ways, I use split and build like you told me before, I just can't seem to save what I have just right.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012
  15. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

Are you saving as uncompressed? Sonic's sprites are uncompressed, and you have to save over "Sonic.bin" and rebuild the ROM. It's located in the uncompressed art folder, though I forget the name of the folder. :V Also when you first start SonmapED, change the game format to Sonic 1 before doing anything else.

16. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

In case you 're using Hivebrains disassembly:

Tile Graphics (Uncompressed) => artuncsonic.bin

Primary Palette line => paletsonic.bin

Mappings => _mapsSonic.asm

Pattern Cues => _incSonic dynamic pattern load cues.asm

17. Darkness

That's how I been saving them, just like that. So guess that's not my problem, hm. Maybe I'm spliting and building it wrong, do I split before or after I save everything? Been spliting then building.

Also the readme it has says

"How to compile a ROM

1. Click on build.bat.

2. The file s1built.bin is your new ROM."

S1built? When I open that up in Fusion it's just an black screen.

18. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

You only have to split once and never bother to click on split.bat again. Splitting a ROM file is required to append your disassembly with binary files to complete it, so you can build a game with all data included. Originally, Hivebrains disassembly includes only code and other data is meant to be splited off original ROM file, basically to reduce disassembly size. If you split again after saving data, you BIN-files will get replaced with their originals, which means you loose your data.

As for building, you get this part right. Run build.bat, and s1built.bin will be your assembled ROM. If doesn't run in emulator, this means there were errors during assembling (building), so output file (s1built.bat) is usually 128 bytes long in this case, instead of 512 KB or 1 MB. Open build.bat in the Notepad, add a new string with command 'pause' to it, save and run again. You can see assembly output. See what errors you get. If you haven't change anything but data, there are likely branch offset errors. Fixing them is easy, you can find a short guide on these forums.

19. Darkness

Hm OK, let me try again.

20. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Did you tried to simply reopen the program?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012