Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Darkness

Darkness Active Member Member

Well I'm an better animator then an hacker, I know how to use flash 8 and actionscripting, an little but I can.

And OK I swapped them, but now what? The build still has too many errors, do I need to start over? I saved everything like everyone said too, sorry for being such an newbie.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

It looks like you'll need to start over, yeah. You'll need to be very careful with what you change, make sure that what you're changing is done properly and that you know "what" your changing before you change it.

Any small changes "can" have massive effects on the game.

3. Darkness

Darkness Active Member Member

OK I'll start over then, should I reinstaill what I changed?

4. SuperEmeraldSpike

SuperEmeraldSpike Newcomer Trialist

I huave a question about the "Sonik Sprite" sprite editing program. It worked fine until one day. Now, it only shows the parts of the sprites that are colored black and it leaves any other parts of the sprites white. I have tried to download it a second time and I tried to edit a fresh copy of Sonic the Hedgehog 1, but nothing has worked. I can't use "Sonik Sprite Remix" for an uknown reason. Does anyone have an idea on what I should do or does anyone know another great and easy program I can use to edit the sprites? (If you do know a good program to edit sprites, I must be able to import sprites into it and it must be able to edit Sonic the Hedgehog 1.)

5. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

IIRC Sonik sprite only works when your screen display color depth is set to 24-bit. (or maybe 16 bit, I don't remember for sure.

Though I recommend using SonMapEd and a dissasembly instead of Sonik Sprite and a ROM.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  6. NeonMD

NeonMD Newcomer Trialist

I've come to a wall with my Sonic 1 hack recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sonic doesn't look right, neither do the rings. As you progress through the first act everything turns into a mess. I read the guides I had used recently backwards to try and undo what had been applied. By doing that I imagine the salvage the rings! Although now Sonic's only gone and turned invisible on me. And top of that my back-up of the disassembly has suffered the same fate. So now, I'm not going to touch a thing until I know how to fix the problem.

The only part that leaves me not wanting to start over is letting go of my soned2 project files. If anyone can provide me a solution I'd be very grateful! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
  7. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

It probably isn't anything big, most likely some misplaced dynamically reloading art, or even a bsr turned into a jmp or a bra turned into a jsr.

After you made your changes, you probably had "out of range" errors, and fixed them. it's possible one of them wasn't fixed properly.

So, in order to find the origin of your problem, the first thing is to know when it really happens: is it when a specific object, coordinate, event of any kind is reached?

Also, does it look right at the beginning or is Sonic already wrong before/after the title card if you don't move?

8. NeonMD

NeonMD Newcomer Trialist

Thanks for getting back to me. This problem occurred either while using MarkeyJester's guide on extending Sonic's sprite mappings and art limit or while playing around with SonMapED. I believe that it's more than likely the latter as I undid everything on MarkeyJester's guide. And it happens straight away as soon as the level starts up.

I apologize if my description is vague. If it helps I could upload the disassembly. :)

9. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

If you rearranged sprites in SonMapEd, ensure that you saved both new sprite mappings and DPLC. If you saved only sprite mappings for example and DPLC data is old, this can cause misaligned tiles and even that glitch on your second screenshot.

This glitch usually occurs when DPLC tries to load tiles of non-existing frame. For example: you added a new sprite and saved the mappings, but if DPLC data is old, this frame won't be present there. Non-existing frame will refer to a random place, loading random number of random tiles, which usually fills huge part of VRAM with garbage.

Another guess is that you mistaken on following MJ's guide. Check this out, if you forgot to fix something in the code or misplaced things, this may cause similar glitches.

10. NeonMD

NeonMD Newcomer Trialist

So I've split s1.bin again to create a raw copy that I could use as reference when going over the guide again. And to my surprise the code in Anim_Run: did not match with the original. I changed it to how it's meant to look and I'm still getting the same problem. I've even tried replacing sonic's uncompressed art, mappings and dplcs with the original files. (Editing them to cater for the SpinDash previously added.) But still, Sonic is no show.

There must be something that I'm forgetting.,yet I'm all out of ideas as to how I fix this, And the thought of starting over leaves me contemplating with frustration for the time that I've spent working on the level layouts. So if starting all over again would be the better option, would it be possible to transfer my ghz level layouts?

Thanks for the reply vladikcomper!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
  11. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Yes it is possible, to make things simple, open up your project files in notepad/context etc, this will show you all the files used in the project file(s) and all of there locations. All you have to do then is move all of the files over to a brand new untouched disasmebly and you should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
  12. NeonMD

NeonMD Newcomer Trialist

Thanks Animemaster! I've gone ahead and transferred the level layouts onto a new disassembly. If a lesson is learnt here, then it's to create more than one back up in case problems like this arise in the future. Many thanks!

13. Kensou

Kensou Well-Known Member Member

I was searching yesterday and I couldn't find it. Can someone tell me where the art file of the Lz block that falls is?

14. Psycho RFG

Psycho RFG Well-Known Member Member

It's not a block exactly, the file is named "lzhdoor.bin" and it's in the artnem folder.

15. Kensou

Kensou Well-Known Member Member

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

16. dreggman

dreggman Newcomer Trialist

hello i am dreggman i am newhere's my question and i may sound stupidhow do i start of with soned2? with sonic 1 i cant get the build.bat to compile the level

17. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Just follow these guides. They're a good starting ground to build on:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDAJpXf9xyI&feature=plcp&context=C4da45caVDvjVQa1PpcFMf9V7DKWtSwOCdEZKOsivchneM9ewxRmM=There are some others, but you're gonna have to follow the link to YouTube and click on the other videos.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
  18. dreggman

i cant bulid the level after save in soned2 (newer version) it always stays unedited am i doing somthing wrong?

19. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Are you saving after you've done your edits? After splitting for the first time, delete S1.bin and split.bat so you don't accidentally open the wrong thing and mess your work up.

20. dreggman