Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Looks to me like the Plane A mappings in VRAM have been corrupted, so:

• I'd assume it only ocured right there when the text loaded, because of the draw code.
    • Sonic 1 has it's Plane A mappings mapped to C000+ in VRAM, and decompresses the "End results card" art to B000+, and is just barely under 1000 bytes.
    So, I think, you added that new "SONIC" art onto the end of the text art data, making it larger than 1000 bytes, so of course, when it's decompressed to VRAM B000+ it spills over BFFF into C000+ which overwrites the Plane A mappings (Hence why the top is all scrambled).
    You need to find a new location for the "SONIC" art. I recommend moving the HUD out of the screen when crossing the sign post, and using that art space for your "SONIC" art (loaded separately).

2. Litebolt

Litebolt Newcomer Trialist

Here's the problem; I suck at ASM, which means I don't know how to move the HUD out of screen.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  3. RocketRobz

RocketRobz Coolest of TWL, and Sonic fan Member

I don't know how to do that either.

For now, Just simply overwrite $21 with $00 at RAM address $FFFFD040, which simply removes(not moves) the HUD off the screen.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  4. KingSerperior

KingSerperior Newcomer Trialist

Hello, I am currently having an issue regarding the restoration of Sonic 2's Hidden Palace Zone. Though I've gotten the collision for act 1 and 2 correct (and the layout for act 1 right), I'm still having trouble restoring the objects and act's 2 layout. That, and I'm also having a problem with the pallete; whenever I move my character beyond the starting point of the stage, a strange glitch occurs that causes all the colors to malfunction.

That, and I can't figure out how to fix the objects, such as the glowing orbs, the enemies, the Master Emerald, and the platforms. Does anyone here have a solution?

5. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

If I remember correctly, I don't think that Hidden Palace Zone even HAD a remotely playable Act 2, so that's probably your problem.

In terms of the pallete, I have no idea as I haven't tinkered around heavily with that sort of thing in Sonic 2.

6. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

The palette is already in the disassembly. I also know this problem. To fix this, get another copy of the S2 disassembly, and replace the current objects file for HPZ1 with the one in the other copy. replacing the new one with the old one. With objects, you can just port them over from the Sonic 2 Beta disassembly.

7. KingofHarts

KingofHarts Well-Known Member Member

Quick easy question based on THIS: http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3925&p=45577

About the lost rings bit... I'm wondering if SpirituInsanum's fix is necessary for the Lost Rings if I do the following:

Allocate a separate section of Object RAM specifically for the use of lost ring objects only. I believe this would solve that issue noted in this thread... AND also solve some other issues of objects not spawning when 32 lost rings are floating about... OR lost rings not spawning because there are too many other objects around.

My point is.. is this a feasible thing to do?

8. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

It is possible, but do you really want to process ~32 additional objects and sprites? Lost rings aren't only displayed, you also have to move them, perform a countdown to make them disappear, and check collisions with the ground and Sonic.

Maybe you could create an adapted version S2/3's ring managers to work like that. Have the counter, positions and speed of every lost ring, but then again, how would you create those rings? If you lose rings several times before the previous ones disappeared, you can still make great use of that fix (adapted to your new lost ring manager).

Otherwise you'll waste time creating rings in empty slots exactly the same way.

9. ScoutCDTen

ScoutCDTen Newcomer Trialist

I have started editing ghz art on SonED2,on the editor it shows fine but when i build the rom,it shows garbled graphics on background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Hm... what happened to the flower art as well? I have a hunch but its hard to tell with out looking at the whole project. What are the blocks like? have you overwritten tile art that you shouldn't have?.

11. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

Looks like maybe the game and SonED are using different 8x8 tiles? I think some S1 dissasemblies use a separate pre-combined GHZ art file for SonED2 that need to be split for the dissasembly. (or change the dissasembly to use the combined art file).

But I've never really messed with S1 so maybe not.

12. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Rika_chou: Yeah ghz is split into to files, 8x8ghz1.bin and 8x8ghz2.bin. You have to combine them to become one file and get it to load the 8x8ghz.bin file. But I don't think its that(unless he just hasn't switched files in the disassembly), because it won't show the art properly in SonED2.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

You should update SonED2, versions from v11.02.24 onward support loading both of GHZ's art files, rather than a precombined one. You'll have to update your project files to accomodate that though.

14. kainivy

kainivy Newcomer Trialist

Is there a way to change the special stages on Sonic 1 with ESE and ESEII?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  15. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

I used ESE2 at one point and with sonic 1 you can.

but now i use disassemblies, and sonic 1 special stage editor does it too.

16. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  17. kainivy

Thanks but I don't understand how to find and use the disassembly tool. Could I have some help?

18. Shockwave

Shockwave 3 Time Stones Member

Everything you should need to get started can be found here. Just go to the disassemblies page and download one from there. SonED2/SonLVL can be used for level editing, and SonMapEd for sprites.

You can just download one of the newer disassemblies since they don't really take much set up, although you may also prefer one of the older ones (S1 2006, S2 2007) if you want an easier time reading guides on Retro.

19. kainivy

Thank you all for the help.

But I'm still stuck I've read the how to guides but I can't understand how to use the disassembly tool, is there a way to edit the special stages with ESEII?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  20. DevEd

DevEd A lol who occasionally doge nothing Member

Last time I tried editing a special stage in ESEII, it refused to save it. You can view them, and you can "edit" them, but you can't save your edits.

SonED2 will get the job done nicely, but that requires a disassembly.

Also, I'm assuming you're referring to Sonic 1's special stages.