Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. KingSerperior

KingSerperior Newcomer Trialist

I owe you my thanks.

Also, I apologize for asking another question that has been most likely asked before, although I couldn't find a guide to this anywhere. How do I make my own title cards and replace them with ones that already exist? Also, how would I change the words at the "end of level" results, as well as extend the time at the title screen before the game goes into demo mode?

2. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

I owe you my thanks.

Also, I apologize for asking another question that has been most likely asked before, although I couldn't find a guide to this anywhere. How do I make my own title cards and replace them with ones that already exist? Also, how would I change the words at the "end of level" results, as well as extend the time at the title screen before the game goes into demo mode?

Title cards? For replacing "Emerald Hill Zone" to... let's say "Paradise Island Zone"? if so... use this http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_2_-_Text_Code_Generator Does end of level (Sonic got through to Metal Got Through for example as shown) as well

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
  3. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

K. Paradice is not a word. Don't you ever spell it like that again or I will SLAP you.

You could use the tool, OR, you could look at how it works, either with or without the tool. It's a lot simpler once you figure it out. iirc, it's just mappings, and there are certain letters that can't be used, either they don't exist or there's no room for them. (or something. :S)

4. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

He's a fan of Dragon Ball KAI :p

[​IMG]

*runs*

edit: damn imagevenue, it's just not the same without imageshack :(

5. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

Funny Firefox didn't detect Mispelling, Googling showed it. Excuse me Irix.

What does it mean when it says "Warning : Instruction has been word aligned" and how do i fix this?

6. DiscoTheBat

DiscoTheBat Newcomer Exiled

It means that adresses in your disassembly are misaligned, you need to know that the addresses must be aligned to even addresses, or they will crash, to fix such issue you have to put even somewhere above the faulty line of code, like after includes or bincludes for example.

Hope that helps.

Edit: One question I have in mind that will help later is to know what kind of memory Genesis have, if it's dynamic or static. I was checking about optimizations and on 68K Manual in the bit manipulation chapter, there are two sections referring to memory as being dynamic or static. So is Genesis' memory dynamic or static?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2014
  7. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

SOME question (Sonic One Music Editor)

I try to edit one of the songs i've done myself in xm3smps, when i Copy a voice, Paste it, then save, SOME crashes. I've tried reinstalling it and tryed again and it crashes still. Is there something missing? or is there something else

8. Irixion

Yeah...don't use SOME. It's pretty broken. Simplest way is to put in the voices yourself. I know it's daunting when you're staring at a wall of numbers in a Hex editor, but mark where the voices are, paste them, and voila.

9. FFuser

FFuser a.k.a Darklight Member

I've been searching around. I'm wondering if there's a link/tutorial for the process of porting background art from another Sonic game to Sonic 1? I tried my hand at drawing the tiles myself for a certain part of a stage and it didn't look good, so I wanted to see how the stage would look if I ported the BG from one of the S2 stages, but I don't really know the process for doing a BG as opposed to just the character/icon sprites that I ported (especially with the scrolling some backgrounds have).

10. Irixion

Way I do it is manually. Change the palette to be the same, then individually redraw every 8x8. Takes forever but...fun.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

LevelConverter can convert level data between games, but it can't distinguish between foreground and background, so you'll get everything. Perhaps in the future I could make an automatic background swapper tool, but even then, you'll still have to deal with the deformation/scrolling code.

12. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

If I wanted to port only a BG, I would:

(first make sure you delete all the old BG tiles, blocks, and chunks*)

- Use SonED2 to export an image (*.tga) of the background you want to port.

[​IMG]

- Open the .tga image in GraphicsGale.

- Use GraphicsGale to rearrange the palette to match that palette you are going to use and save. (Hold shift to move colors)

[​IMG]

- Use SonED2 to import the background into your Sonic 1 level. 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note that some backgrounds will have more or less tiles than others and might take more work to make them fit.

*If you delete chunks using SonED2, it will mess up the layout of any acts that you are not editing. So what I do is (before I delete anything) open all level acts in separate SonEDE2 windows, and delete and save the same chunks in each one. This will make sure your layouts will not be messed up. As always, make a backup of your work before you do anything. Soned2 has some bugs with deleting tiles and importing stuff that can result in corrupted data.

I hope that make sense, let me know if you need help with it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2014
  13. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

everytime i follow this guide http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:port_the_REV01_Background_Effects

the only levels that work are GHZ, LZ, and FZ.

the rest... Have it's music going, no sound, and once the level moves with Sonic - CRASH.

Giving an rts to each Deform_(level), excluding GHZ & LZ makes the levels act like Super Mario Bros with Faulty Game Genie codes.

(May just port back in the original Deform code, leaving out GHZ & LZ, but is there a fix to this complete port that works 100%?)

14. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

I followed that guide multiple times and I got perfect results. Did you follow it correctly step by step?

15. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

yes I did. and multiple times they've crashed, so I just reverted almost everything back. Now GHZ & LZ is 1.1 while the rest is 1.0

16. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

Have you tried using a clean disassembly?

17. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

Multiple times.

on another note, where's the routine where sonic exits Sbz3 to final zone? is it somewhere in the "Boundaries" code? or is it somewhere else, cause i've search $FFFFFE10 to find it (Unless i overlooked something)

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Code:
    Resize_SBZ3:
    		cmpi.w	#$D00,($FFFFF700).w
    		bcs.s	locret_6F8C
    		cmpi.w	#$18,($FFFFD00C).w ; has Sonic reached the top of the level?
    		bcc.s	locret_6F8C	; if not, branch
    		clr.b	($FFFFFE30).w
    		move.w	#1,($FFFFFE02).w ; restart level
    		move.w	#$502,($FFFFFE10).w ; set level	number to 0502 (FZ)
    		move.b	#1,($FFFFF7C8).w ; freeze Sonic

locret_6F8C:
    		rts	

19. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

Thank you Markey.

For some odd reason this keeps hapening #1 at $FFFFFE19

i've had to add clr.b (Super_Sonic_Flag).w at KillSonic, SonicHasPassed (as well as adding a control lock & set to move sonic right) and at Boundary_Bottom when at SBZ2

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2014
  20. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    I swear warr1or2, you have the weirdest issues. Like, when you port stuff, you somehow encounter problems I never would think of happening.

Anyways, do you mind showing your ported code? Honestly, as long as you ported everything correctly, palette routines included. I don't see why It wouldn't work, so seeing what you've exactly done code wise would be helpful.