Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

I don't think I can pinpoint where this pallet problem lies, but I added #1,($FFFFFE19).w to PlayLevel, to a clean disassembly and nothing. This problem don't exist. I think i may retrace my steps on the clean disassembly, and will show the code where it lies if i run into it again.

Seems like i have to continuously have to start over.

However i have not yet ported sonic 2's super sonic routine yet as i've made my own without the pallet cycle

EDIT: I found it, & fixed it. It's a 2 part...

;cmpi.b #1,(Super_Sonic_Flag).w
    ;beq SupPal
    moveq #3,d0

bsr.w PalLoad2 ; load Sonic's pallet line
    ;bra loc_3930
    ;SupPal: moveq #3,d0
    ;
    ; bsr.w PalLoad5_Super ; load Sonic's pallet line
    ;loc_3930:

the commented code was the prob. I tried making a PalLoad5_Super routine which didn't work. it's code

PalLoad5_Super:
    lea (PalPointers).l,a1
    lsl.w #3,d0
    adda.w d0,a1
    movea.l (a1)+,a2
    movea.w (a1)+,a3
    move.w #$EE,a3
    move.w (a1)+,d7

loc_2896:
    move.l (a2)+,(a3)+
    dbf d7,loc_2896
    rts

I'm guessing the pallet wasn't working right or something

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2014
  2. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Palette* not pallet.

Also make a backup of your entire disassembly or individual files/folders before taking on something huge. Label with date and/or time

3. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

in Hivebrain's Sonic 1 Disassembly it's spelled pallet, xenowhirl's sonic 2 disassembly as palette (the mixups)

and i do make backups, as well as some porting i've been doing, plus my own code, i've been putting it in seperate ASM files in case a flaw somewhere so I can comment out the Include "WhateverItIs.asm"

4. Psycho RFG

Psycho RFG Well-Known Member Member

Hi!

Does someone knows for sure if there is any unused chunk/chunks in Star Light Zone? If yes, wich one/ones?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2014
  5. RocketRobz

RocketRobz Coolest of TWL, and Sonic fan Member

I don't know if there is any. Why?

6. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Well from what I saw when porting it to my Sonic 2 hack, is that it doesn't even go to $FF chunks, you have to press, ctrl+Z in Soned2 when in the chunk editing secton or tab, or whatever you want to call it, to add another empty chunk slot, at least I think that's what the control is, have not used soned2 in a while. If that's not it than sorry, can't check it, in Cancun without laptop lol

Edit: but for Sonic 1 it may be full idk.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2014
  7. DJaftershock

DJaftershock TWO-DEE-ECKS-GOLD Member

From what SonED2 displays and going over the level, I'd say no.

8. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

There's no unused 16x16 or 256x256 blocks. But, there are unused 8x8 tiles in Star Light.

9. JoenickROS

Alright then, Sonic 2 handles it better just like I thought, because there is free chunks in mine lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2014
  10. KingSerperior

KingSerperior Newcomer Trialist

Hey guys, I do have additional questions; if I wanted to port a song from the game known as Dangerous Seed to Sonic 1, what tool should I use? None of the ones I could locate can format a track from that game.

Also, I tried changing the Sonic 2 title cards with the Text Code Generator, and although the title card for Emerald Hill Zone comes out correctly, the other ones appear to be either garbled messes or pure gibberish. How can I fix this problem?

11. N30member

N30member non-pro user btw Member

For the music, search for xm2/3/4smps and mid2smps. Read guides by nineko and MarkeyJester. And finally, the Sonic Music Hacking Guide written by Tweaker. Or you can ask people(Spanner, nineko, etc.) to port your stuff.

I don't know answer for 2nd question. :(

12. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

You missed the point of his question, for the most part. He wants to port a song which is already in SMPS format, just in a slightly different variant of it, so the xm/midi to smps converters won't help him at all. Suggesting the SCHG guide is already a better idea, then again the only thing that's written there is the location of the pointers, so that's not very useful, either.

This could have been a better suggestion, then again the game he's interested into isn't included in the pack, so I don't know :(

13. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

Some emulators can dump (or rather record) sound from Genesis games. Try dumping one, get GYM2MID to convert it to an MID, then an older ModPlugTracker to convert to XM, then XM(2,3,4)smps (you choose, though i recommend 3), keeping MPT running to figure out which is correct for FM1-5,Noise, dac & whatnot, & save as a Sonic 1 smps.bin

14. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

... aside from being a terrible idea since the song is already in SMPS format and it only needs minor adjustments to work, I'm surprised you didn't even know that GYM files have been obsoleted by VGM files.

Not that I'm recommending you to dump VGM files and use VGM2MID, that's still a bad idea. Just saying.

15. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

Here's kind of a stupid question.

Where the heck is the HUD/Ring pallet located?

16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

The palette for the Rings is held by the levels themselves, the reason for this is four of the colours of that line differs for different levels, for certain enemies. The HUD however, uses both Sonic's palette and the palette held by the levels.

17. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

Line 2. (Which is $FFFFFB80+$20). I forget which number color on the line their yellow is though.

Edit: whoops, ninja'd

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2014
  18. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

While we're on the topic here, I just attempted to change the animation of the rings (and yes, I added custom frames).

When I try to use it in game, it appears as static.

Has anyone else had this happen? :/

19. JoenickROS

So you must of added custom art for the frames too, right? If that's the case, the art tiles maybe colliding with others.

Edit: Unless the art tile for the rings in Sonic 1 has free art space after it, than disregard this, since this was a problem in Sonic 2.

Edit2: Happened after I edited the monitor art.

Edit3: Could be colliding with the scroll/screen VRAM, that's what I think of when you say that there is static instead of your new art showing up.

20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Edit3 is the correct answer.

The ring art is in VRAM at F640, while the scroll table is set at FC00. The original amount of frames Sonic 1 had could fit into VRAM from F640 to FBFF. Additional frames don't, and get overwritten by the V-blank routines which transfer the scroll data into VRAM every frame:

Code:
    		lea	($C00004).l,a5
    		move.l	#$940193C0,(a5)
    		move.l	#$96E69500,(a5)
    		move.w	#$977F,(a5)
    		move.w	#$7C00,(a5)
    		move.w	#$83,($FFFFF640).w
    		move.w	($FFFFF640).w,(a5)
    There are three ways to get around this, relocate the ring art to somewhere else in VRAM, have the rings art load a single frame at a time in VRAM, or relocate the scroll table via VDP register 0D (8D), and change the DMA destination (see code above, the 7C00 and 83).