Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Warr1or2: Sorry to say bud, I've had little to no main issues porting over HPZ outside of a few things here and there, namely the collision being wonky as I'm too lazy to fix it or port over the level checks for the various collision maps. If you follow the guide perverbatim, you should have a new level no problem. It boggles the mind how you have this many issues.

Project FM: Why bother porting the Sonion 128 stuff? From the look of your screens, you've made very minimal changes to Sonic 1. Why not just port your changes to Sonic 128? Less problems that way.

Edit: Holy Fuck. My phone loves to auto-correct.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  2. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

It turns out that the original build of my hack also had the same problem so I'm going to take SuperEgg's advice and port the coding in my hack to the Sonic 128 file instead of doing the opposite. Thanks anyway.

3. Lil-G

Lil-G Friendly Local Noob Root Admin

ok this isn't a disassembly problem but something with the forum (i think this is the right place to put this)

i'm trying to add a guide to the guides but when i added it nothing changed. is it still being added or can i not add guides since i'm still a trial member?

4. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Wrong forum to post that. Plus, it wasn't approved because it ain't up to snuff.

5. presto

presto Raised from the dead... Member

Hello.

A long time ago, I used the water guide, and failed at it. I decided to remove the code and paste the original back in. After doing so, LZ1 has no water, LZ2 and LZ3 have water (I think LZ3 water position is correct, but LZ2's isn't), and SBZ3 (LZ4) is full of water. i tried re-pasting the original code and stuff, but it does not work.

If anyone knows what the problem may be, post it here. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
  6. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I recommend using a program like ExamDiff to find the differences between the water code of your sonic1.asm and the water code in the sonic1.asm of a clean disassembly.

7. presto

presto Raised from the dead... Member

Thank you so much!

The problem turned out to be the fact that I moved $FFFFFE10 to d0 instead of moving $FFFFFE11 to d0.

*Gives 1000 facepalms to himself*

8. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

How do the mappings for Sonic and Tails jumping off the plane in the ending of Sonic 2 work? When I load the art and mapppings in SonMapEd, they do not show up properly.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
  9. Psi

Psi Well-Known Member Member

Hello, I'm not sure if this is a result of my own coding clashing, but i tried out the palettes for different characters tutorial on the website and I ended up with this:

[​IMG]

The turquoise is intended but the purple isn't, it doesn't use the proper yellow colours until it starts transitioning to the level itself (though oddly they appear on the number's shadow). Is there something I'm meant to edit that I've missed here?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2014
  10. MaDSkull

MaDSkull Lycanthrope Member

Hi, guys. this summer I have completed Mephiles the Dark sprites myself. I used some shadow sprites for make it. Now I have to make new character but don't know how to draw first sprite. How can help me only in one sprite ? just one ?

11. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

I think this is a bug with a certain SVN version of the disassembly? Try loading the default palette. It's either that or you can't edit the clear colour in palette line 2...or something like that. It's been too long :V

12. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

A dissasembly is not bugged if it builds the rom identically prior to editing, only your edits can cause issues. As for the actual issue, I've seen a less crazy variant of it in my own S2 hack, but don't know anything about it :<

13. Deadalive

Deadalive Newcomer Trialist

Trying to move my hack from Sonic 1 to Sonic 2, anyway almost done with my modified Sonic 2 sprites but when I got to the Super Sonic ones I tried to look for Super Sonic's palette file to import my new art. Where is Sonic 2s Super Sonic's palette file?

14. Pacca

Which disassembly are you using? We can't help you if we don't know what we're looking through. Also, if your disassembly has an art folder, try looking through their, or just search the whole disassembly for the key word "palette".

15. Deadalive

Deadalive Newcomer Trialist

Sonic_2_(Split_and_Text_by_Xenowhirl), but I am considering switching to Saxman's Sonic Boom, both have an almost identical file structure as far as art goes.

16. Pacca

its in the art folder, in the palettes section. It's called "SonicAndTails.bin".

17. TimpZ

TimpZ Well-Known Member Member

I made it such that the Player 2-ABC buttons in Sonic 2 work for Sonic and vice versa for Tails, but when I'm playing them alone the 2nd controller doesn't work. I'm guessing it's because the code doesn't load the 2nd controller into RAM when in 1p mode but I can't find that particular bit in the code.

I'm using Hg, any pointers on where to look?

18. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

In one of the SVN variants, this was a problem, with title cards. It was due to how they renamed or moved a palette file or something like that. It's either that (but they fixed that a long time ago), or, it's because one of his palette colours is edited. It's either the clear block or the black block. I remember one of them can't be edited or the game freaks out.

19. MASTERestlib

MASTERestlib Well-Known Member Member

How does one make new sound effects for sonic 1 disasm with xm3something? Are they like music files that you make a midi/xm then convert it but use it in the sound effect directory?

20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

[​IMG]

If there are any tools out there to handle SFX, then I'm unaware of them. Though if you are desperate, that should give you a head start at least.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015