Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

Okay thank you, so i'll stay on SonED2 :p

2. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

This is the way to do it. So don't stay with SonED 2. Unless you plan on adding appropriate art into the zone...but int that case you could just add whatever object into the level definitions anyway.

3. jubbalub

jubbalub Mania fanboy Member

There should be an object definition editor included with SonLVL, pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it

Okay, so I added a few custom chunks, five to be exact. Aaaaand now GHZ is all kinds of screwed up. 

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

I couldn't find any help on this nor any tutorials on how to add custom chunks... hep?

4. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

Is it messed up for all acts of the level? I don't know about SonLVL but SonED does not adjust layout for acts you aren't editing when you add or delete chunks.

Or maybe you went over the chunk limit and they are overwriting other data. I'm not familiar with S1 so I could be wrong.

5. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

I doubt that's his trouble, cause when I converted HPZ to Sonic 1, & Loaded HPZ, Sonic 1 Crashed

. I deleted some chunks & the stage loaded, be it GHZ or MZ for some odd reason. Needless to say the layout in SonLVL for HPZ, I need to redo almost EVERYTHING.

EDIT:

I couldn't find any help on this nor any tutorials on how to add custom chunks... hep?
    Seeing that it did load & not crash, it's not it.

Bagumba, how many more chunks have you loaded? I added only 1 Chunk to GHZ & works fine

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
  6. jubbalub

Every act is messed up. It seems certain chunks are replacing certain chunks. I deleted a few mostly unused chunks but that didn't fix it. Also, I added five chunks, is that too many?

7. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

Accoring to this post the chunk limit in S1 is $52.

8. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

I recommend restarting the chunk and layout edits , then adding your new chunks at the end of the list; I always do this, to prevent scrambling the other unedited acts, which might be contributing to your issue. If you want to remove existing unused chunks, overwrite them with your new, chunks, don't delete them. Once you start doing what I suggested, odd issues like this should certainly disappear; from what I've seen, I can only assume you added/removed chunks in one act, saved, then added/removed some more in another, which would effectively scramble the entire zone.

EDIT: I think I've broken the chunk limit before; it shouldn't scramble the layouts up like that, anyway. Plus, I think Sonlvl prevents you from breaking that limit to begin with (not sure about SonEd2, I never use it)

EDIT2: GHZ has loads of free chunks, jsut add them to the end next time.

9. jubbalub

Yep, that worked. Restored the chunks and everything is working fine. Remind me to return the favor for you later!

EDIT: Now the custom chunks simply aren't turning up. Everything else is working fine, but... yeah.

In SonLVL, we have 

[​IMG]
    Ingame, we have [​IMG]

10. Pacca

Hm, the only excuse I can think of for such behavior is that Sonlvl isn't saving properly... Does it look any different in Sonlvl when the level is reloaded? Where are your chunk mappings saved?

11. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

While we're on the topic of GHZ not loading right, for some reason GHZ crashes and becomes a blue screen right when I start it. I ported Emerald Hill Zone's graphics, blocks, chunks, collision, etc. (of course using the Sonic128 disassembly) and it's been working fine for a while.The most recent thing I've done is make GHZ's breakable and unbreakable walls to use art from the level and I believe I've gotten it to work even after I did that.

Also, for some reason MZ shakes up and down like in HTZ and MGZ when I push the block on top of the spike chandelier .

Edit: Never mind for the MZ thing. It's actually a result from Green Snake's tutorial on making Sonic roll when he's on the air.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  12. Pacca

Is it occuring on all 3 acts? If not, try (temporarily) deleting all the objects in said act. If it occurs on all 3, try putting an rts in front of ghzs aniart and level event routines. Also, what was the last cuple of changes you made to the hack before it stopped working?

Please forgive spelling mistakes, mobile is not good for typing...

13. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

It does occur in all three acts. My last changes were deleting the art for the walls and making them use the level art and I added a few songs although none of them are used in GHZ.

14. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

For preventing these 'I did a thing and now the game's broken. What do I do?' situations, try logging your changes.

I've been using TortoiseSVN (probably not the best choice) for my hack, and whenever I find that a change I made some time before has broken something, I can 'rewind' the code to an earlier state, and keep doing so until the game is no longer broken. By doing that, I'll know that the next change is to blame. I can then fix the change or undo it entirely, and the problem's solved.

15. brickrick

brickrick Active Member Member

Greetings. Not sure if this is to fit in the "basic" questions, but maybe I am overlooking something really simple. So, I am porting (trying, it seems) Sonic 3's Sound Driver into a Sonic 2 GitHub disassembly (the most recent, I think, and rev01) following the tutorial found here: http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:port_Sonic_3%27s_Sound_Driver_to_Sonic_2

Now, the log is giving me 3 errors and it is not building the ROM (it is not supposed to because of the errors, I guess... sorry for not grasping the way the builder works). Here is the info from the log:

> > >s2.constants.asm(673): error: symbol undefined
    > > > zMasterPlaylist
    > > > offset := zMasterPlaylist
    > > >s2.constants.asm(752): error: symbol undefined
    > > > SoundIndex
    > > > offset := SoundIndex
    > > >s2.asm(89324): error: symbol undefined
    > > > movewZ80CompSize
    > > > shared word_728C_user,Obj5F_MapUnc_7240,off_3A294,MapRUnc_Sonic,movewZ80CompSize

The 2 errors in the s2.constants asm file... are they due to the ":="? Maybe there is a value missing, but it is literally like that in the tutorial.

Could someone pinpoint me to the fix? (or just explain what might be wrong and I would go from there.) I am really clueless now. ^___^

16. Pacca

All the errors are symbol undefined errors, meaning that certain label names or equates are being referenced that don't exist (aren't defined). Looking at the code snippets, a lot of it seems to involve references to the old S2 driver; try looking over the guide again to ensure you didn't forget to remove a few things here or there.

17. Clownacy

I don't get why that guide exists, especially in its current state.

It doesn't seem to tell you about removing the reference to movewZ80CompSize (which you removed during the 'Upgrading the SoundDriverLoad Routine' section). But, if I'm understanding it right, the guide does direct you to remove all that 'offset', 'ptrsize' and 'idstart' stuff.

18. brickrick

Thanks in advance for the quick reply. Well, I found this a little strange: the tutorial asks to remove a line in "loc_92A+++++", specificallly, a "jsr (sndDriverInput)", but the disassembly has no such label. What I did was searching for a "jsr (sndDriverInput)", which incidentally was the only one left, and removed it. It was a little below "off_97A". I thought of this when I was editing, but still takes me nowhere. Should I restore that line? Or is it something off in the tutorial? (I will make some testing in the meantime.)

Ok, I did left those. I will now remove those lines in the s2.constants asm file and see what gives. Thanks.

EDIT: added Clownacy's reply.

19. Clownacy

'loc_92A+++++' means to go to 'loc_92A' and count five '+' temp labels down from there. The jsr you found was the one the guide wanted you to remove.

20. brickrick

Ah, I am glad I didn't messed up there then! xP (thank you for explaining, now I know what it means.)

After removing what you've told me to, s2.constants shows no errors in the log, thanks! :)

So now I only have to deal with this one:

> > >s2.asm(89324): error: symbol undefined
    > > > movewZ80CompSize
    > > > shared word_728C_user,Obj5F_MapUnc_7240,off_3A294,MapRUnc_Sonic,movewZ80CompSize

I am going to search s2.asm for references to movewZ80CompSize for now and see what I can do.

EDIT: smile was not the one I intended x'D

EDIT2: there is no reference to "movewZ80CompSize" in the ROM besides that line at the very end...