Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I ported EHZ to Sonic 1 through the ASM68k version of the project 128 disassembly and I found a big problem where if you run or spindash into a wall, Sonic will go through it. This isn't present in Sonic 2. Can anyone offer a solution to this?

2. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

I'll give you hint. You have not ported everything, that's all I'm giving you, because it's kind of common sense to why Sonic would go through a wall.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2015
  3. ProjectFM

The collision is completely fine. I've been working on the level for a while and I'm using Sonic 2's index. The problem only occurs when Sonic is at max speed and facing right.

Edit: I discovered that it's present in other zones.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2015
  4. HackGame

HackGame The ROM Hacker Member

How do I get to the Title Screen after you beat the level?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
  5. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Just change the game mode. There should be a ram address with a similar name, if you clear the address and write 0 to it, it will go back to the sega screen. I don't have a dissassembly in front of me, but that should do it.

6. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

Not a hacking question (since i  know the fix) but...

In sonic 1 disassemblies (unsure of 2-3K) There is musiclist & musiclist2. Has me curious on why there's two, besides the fact of levelmusic & resumemusic. Is there a difference?

7. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

ask Sonic Team. Its worthless to have MusicList2 in Sonic 1; it does absolutely nothing but duplicate MusicList

8. ProjectFM

I think musiclist2 plays SBZ's music in LZ act 4/SBZ act 3.

9. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Actually, LZ4 has several rather sloppy checks in the music loading routine which make it load SBZs music. I should know; in my first hack, RR!, I had to manually change ALL of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2015
  10. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

There is one subtle difference with the first music list containing a 7th zone slot for playing Final Zone's music ID.

Because of how close to the instructions the lists are, it is possible that it was initially setup with relative reading in mind, but as time progressed and code grew, the distance between the lists and their respective loads became too far for a relative load.  An error likely arose with them (at different time periods of course), and the quick fix would have been to load to an address register and read that way.  (This is all speculation of course, but there's no harm in taking potential past revisions into account).

11. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

https://youtu.be/TO12zCA5_dU  This one is a strange one. Making Kram 128 use address music, done everything right (unless somewhere I screwed up) however the DAC is either sped up, or one note looped, Sounds seem to sound like it came from Galata (especially the extra points at the end). I went back & cheched everything

Even checked to see if I made the fix. Everything seems OK unless I overlooked something

Update: If my computer will cooperate, will double, triple check everything.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015
  12. hackman

hackman Newcomer Trialist

I what to know how to port the sonic 2 beta sound driver to sonic 1 or show me a way to port the music I don't know how.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  13. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

You know what, here's a little secret: using SMPS2ASM on S2B music is easy, even though there's not an obvious option for it. S2B's format is largely S2F's. Only difference I've noticed is that the tempo value is S1-style instead of S2. So, run smps2asm.exe on an S2B file in S2 mode, then open up the produced .asm file, and change smpsHeaderStartSong from '2' to '1'. This will make the SMPS2ASM interpreter assume the song came from S1, and adjust the tempo accordingly.

You might be wondering what the hell I'm talking about. Well, I'm not the kind that's into messing with binary music files, I prefer the ASM form, namely SMPS2ASM. It's an abstraction layer that allows ASM-converted music to work in theoretically any SMPS driver, with necessary adjustments to make up for missing DACs, PSGs, and coord. flags, of course.

Now, you're in a bit of a tough spot. S1's driver is, in many ways, the most limited one between it and S3K's driver. What it makes up for with Special SFX support (used by all of one thing in S1), it lags behind with an extremely lacking DAC library. It's also buggy as hell sometimes. Though I doubt this is your intention, porting S2B's entire driver would eliminate some of these problems, but it would cause others, too, because of the now-missing Special SFX support, and the fact that you lose S1's entire music and SFX library.

One option is to just take S2B's music in SMPS2ASM format, and replace any missing drums with ones from S1, allowing it work with plain old S1's sound driver. The other would be to port a driver with everything already in there, for which I recommend my S2 driver, though you do need a very specific disassembly setup in order to use it (GitHub disassembly, AS branch), so maybe it's not the best option. I'm sure there are some binary converters out there that make it so you don't have to worry about all this ASM and driver nonsense, but this is the only way I myself know.

14. ProjectFM

Speaking of Sonic 1's sound driver, I always wondered how "Special SFX," which I assume relates to "playsound_special," is different than normal sound effects.

15. Pokepunch

Pokepunch That guy who posts on occasion Member

How would I make an object move around in a circular motion? Or even an infinity symbol motion? I've observed that it involves angles and the CalcSine routine, but I can't get my head around what exactly is going on.

16. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

A simple way that I always like to use is the frame counter ($FFFFFE04, Timer_frames in S2). Just feed the CalcSine routine that word via d0 and it spits out two neat values (sine and cos for d0 and d1, respectively) that you can freely mess with.

If you want to make the object rotate slower or faster, just manipulate the frame counter's value before you call the routine. If you want to expand or decrease the rotation radius, manipulate the output values.

Simple example:

Code:
            move.w	(Timer_frames).w,d0	; get current frame counter
            add.w	d0,d0			; double the value (doubles the speed)
            jsr	(CalcSine).l		; calc sine based on it
            asr.w	#2,d0			; shrink down the Sine output (shrink down the horizontal radius)
            asr.w	#2,d1			; shrink down the Cos output (shrink down the vertical radius)
            move.w	d0,x_pos(a0)		; save result to new X-pos
            move.w	d1,y_pos(a0)		; save result to new Y-pos

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
  17. AsuharaMoon

AsuharaMoon kakyoin did you lay this egg Member

A silly question. How I can correctly convert Sonic 1's 256x256 Chunks, FGs and BGs to Markey's Two-Eight Disassembly format?

18. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

LevelConverter may be able to help you. Convert from Sonic 1 to Sonic 2 format, and take the layout and chunk files.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
  19. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

IIRC, Special helps queue SFXs.  You know that the driver cannot play 2 SFX in the same frame, right?

Code:
    somelabel:
     blah
     blah
     moveq #$8D,d0
     bsr.w PlaySound
     blah
     blah
     moveq #$9F,d0
     bsr.w PlaySound
     blah

In this code above, it will only play sound ID 9F, because you've over-written 8D.  It can't do 2 SFX in the same frame.  This is where the sepcial comes into play:
    Code:
    somelabel:
     blah
     blah
     moveq #$8D,d0
     bsr.w PlaySound
     blah
     blah
     moveq #$9F,d0
     bsr.w PlaySoundSpecial
     blah
    What will happen now is that it will now play SFX ID 8D, but it will play SFX ID 9F on the very next frame.  Like said, it can't do two on the same frame.  Basically, "Special" will queue it up and will play on the next frame.

20. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

Actually, PlaySound_Special and Special SFX are unrelated. rhs is right about PlaySound_Special, though: S1 does lack proper queueing. Unfortunately I have no idea what the difference between an SFX and a Special SFX actually is. It has a different initialisation subroutine to music and regular SFX, and seems to prioritise itself below SFX but above music. It even has a different coordination flag for stopping, but that seems to be an S1-exclusive modification. Special SFX even has its own track RAM, indicating both SFX and Special SFX can run at the same time, without cancelling each other out, as two regular SFX's would, though only one would be audible.