Hack Testers: WANTED!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by beanDude, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beanDude

beanDude Well-Known Member Member

HEEEEEEEEEEEEYAAAAAA!!!! What's up, fellow Sonic hackers?

Well, for those of you that have been on this site within the last few months, you've probably seen quite a lot of help-related questions coming from me concerning "my hack". Although I've been continually mentioning this hack of Sonic 1, which I began working on around June, I have, in fact, released no screenshots, videos, documentation on the "Showcase" page, or anything else that introduces my hack or gives light to it's existence or development. I've been floating around the "Discussion Q&A" page, while you've probably wondered "What the heck is this guy up to???"

Therefore, I'm looking for a little criticism on what I've done so far!

________________________________________________________________________________

What is the name of my hack, you ask?

The hack's official (as in I, beanDude, have created it), Beta-released name is:

Sonic the Hedgehog: Reversal Revisit

...Although I recently thought of this name, I will more than likely change it before the final release (to something that doesn't suck so much).

Listed below are the Zone names in their proper order of appearance. Before questions are asked, please note that quite a few of the Zones listed are less than three Acts in length, and that this hack contains the same number of levels as the original Sonic the Hedgehog.

ZONE BREAKDOWN

- SHINING SPIRE ZONE

- CITY SPIRE ZONE

- MARBLE TERRACE ZONE

- MARBLE RUIN ZONE

- MARBLE TEMPLE ZONE

- DEEP CANAL ZONE

- PURPLE PALACE ZONE

- GREEN GATE ZONE

- EGG SIDE ZONE

- EGG PLANT ZONE

- EGG BASE ZONE

________________________________________________________________________________

Hopefully everyone here knows that this is a work in progress, with a newbie hacker at the wheel, and that I'm being a brave soul for putting out the first test release of this hack this early. Because I'm doing this for a useful purpose, I'd like to have people testing effectively:

- Look for flaws everywhere. This is a first and unfinished release, so there's plenty of error present.

- Note the flow of gameplay. Does it feel like Sonic and his physics work well with the environment?

- Experiment with each level; try taking every route possible if applicable to the level. Is the level being tested good in design?

Lastly, this information should help: not all the levels have been modified in terms of design. Please be patient until the next installment; however, I would appreciate if those testing played through every level. In the largely unedited levels, small changes have been made in light of future design changes.

Anyways, thanks for your time! If you want to test and say so, I'll get a ROM to you within the next week!

Happy testing!

2. RatedRStarr

RatedRStarr Rated R Superstar Member

I can play the game through out and give you insight about anything.

3. Ollie

Ollie Well-Known Member Member

...Screenshots?

Even if you're not showing it off right now, it's still kinda' necessary.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
  4. iojnekns

iojnekns OBAMA '012!!!!1!!!!!&#33 Member

Putting screenshots up just so that you can whack another notch on your post count without actually having to play his ROM would basically counteract the efforts he's clearly gone to, to keep the details of his hack under wraps. He's gone out of his way so that you don't learn any details until you play the ROM! Would you read the spoilers to a film just before you went to watch the film? Do you read the scene by scene breakdown of your favourite show before watching the latest episode? Do you beg your friends to tell you about your favourite comedians latest set, so that when you actually watch it yourself, despite the impeccable comic timing and clever delivery which your friends so lacked - you already know the outcome of the jokes?!

I really don't get it. If you want to put screenshots up for your own hack, by all means do it. People demanding they be given screenshots is my pet hate. Its not "kinda necessary" at all. Its a personal choice. Hes omitting it for effect. You haven't even downloaded the ROM, yet you took the 2 minutes to write out that post! If he had have had screenshots, you would have been perfectly able to leave a "looks nice well done" comment as though you'd even played it.

5. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance Well-Known Member Member

I DEFINITELY agree with this post. As much as screenshots are welcomed, the problem is that most people simply look at it, determine if they like it, and then visit another site. They may never consider playing the game period. It's kinda like some really awful celebrity reality show about to come on the air and all they do is show ads for it. It's up to you to decide if you want to watch it if it seems appealing to you.

On Topic: I would like to test out your hack, as it does seem a bit refreshing. You are wanting the deepest amount of criticism of problems, which is what I LOVE hearing when people critique my work [whether it be school or work]. It can only improve on your skills to make your hack replayable and more exciting. :p

6. breakthetargets

breakthetargets Well-Known Member Member

Ill like to test the game and Screenshots? BTW nice name for the hack =D

7. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

If you want me to beta test your hack I'd be happy to.

8. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

*caugh*

>_>

<__<

It's my job, but I recommend you to finish all the layout before you let betatesters test them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
  9. SMDBZ

SMDBZ The cake is a lie,the egg too Member

I can test you're hack.

You can Pm me for this.

10. beanDude

beanDude Well-Known Member Member

You know, I feel sort of guilty for requesting hack testers at a point where I was not ready to release the first test version of my hack...

Because of this, I've decided to upload some preview footage to YouTube (better than screenshots ; HINT, HINT!!!) . If anyone wishes to check out the first post of footage, I will include a link in the edited version of this post within the next hour...

Anyways, thanks for your patience! ;)

**EDIT**

Here's the link:

beanDude's First hack Footage !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.