Hacktube down, for the moment.

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Qjimbo, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

The emulator hacktube uses has recently run into some trouble. It seems the owner of another website that uses the same emulator is trying to claim copyright over it, and as such get it removed from everywhere else. He has filed a very dubious looking copyright claim to my web hosting, which we are currently trying to solve.

Our web hosting's procedure instructs me to remove the files for 14 business days until this issue as resolved. I may work on an "offline hacktube" where all the hacks can be downloaded in one pack, bundled with an emulator, just to tie us over until then.

If anyone wishes to port an emulator to java for us, it would be very much appreciated!

UPDATE: We are in the process of getting an applet version of the emulator "jEnesis" coded up, and it should be ready by next week. It features more "normal" controls (A S D = A B C), better sound emulation, and better performance.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2009
  2. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Aw, gay.

3. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Gay. Mind you, I ain't heard from the French twat since the second e-mail. Though, I do find it strange that he's claiming sole copyright when he was part of the trio behind the emulator. Do the others not have any claim to the emulator, or a say in how it's used? Christ, it became vapourware when the decided to cease developing it four years ago. How he can claim copyright when the program infringes on the copyrights and intellectual property rights of several other companies - Motorola, Yamaha, Zilog and of course, Sega - is beyond me. I doubt he has a licencing agreement/contract with any of them.

You could give Jenesis a whirl, though I don't know how it handles, as I've never used it, or any Java based emulator.

4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

He filed for copyright of the product in 2007. Here's a copy of his certificate proving copyright, supposedly, and what got my hosting so up in arms about it:

http://sonicresearch.org/potatomulti.jpg

The applet was available for use on websites in 2005, you can even confirm that our applet is from October by checking the dates of the files inside the jar. Therefore, anyone who obtained permission to use PotatoMulti on their website, could have gotten the copyright for it. There is no proof he was the sole creator of the work, and it was widely distributed prior to the filing of this copyright.

I'm just hoping that my hosting sees sense and tells this trouble maker to go elsewhere, allowing me to put the emulator back online.

P.S. Just saw him viewing this topic, with the IP 78.192.6.18 (geo-ip's to paris) at 2:55am (before I made this post), just an fyi, this is now blocked from the entire server.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
  5. OrdosAlpha

There's a reason why no other emulator author(s) have filed for copyright - the original copyright holders of the hardware that the software emulates would come down on them like a tonne of bricks. Love how the certificate doesn't specify that it's a program that emulates the Sega Mega Drive.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
  6. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Well this is annoying. If only there were some alternative methods into using hacktube.

At least some stuff could be revamped once it's back online.

7. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance Well-Known Member Member

This is somewhat off-topic, but how does he own the rights to use an image of Mr. Potato Head with his emulator? Every time it would load, it would show a picture of Hasbro's product. So wouldn't this be considered illegal unless he specifically earned permission from the toy company to use the image?

8. OrdosAlpha

That's a valid point. Permission must be attained, and I highly doubt that it was attained.

9. Tongara

Tongara Well-Known Member Exiled

Sounds like a fuck. This is why no one likes the french.

10. voice

voice Well-Known Member Member

Perhaps someone could shoot a email to Sega? Seems reasonable to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.