New users: Want to post on the forum? Take the Entrance Test!

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Qjimbo, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

After some discussion in the staff forum, we have decided to implement an entrance test in order to filter out out some of our less than desirable members. The test can be completed easily by most people in about 5-10minutes. The other alternative was an introduction post, but we feel this is a better way to let people get straight into posting topics and replies they want.

You're only required to take the test should you wish to post on the forum. Site facilities and registration are accessible without taking it.

The trialist phase has also been disabled for new users, we'll see how that pans out too.

As for Hacktube, that should be back up and running next week some time as I mentioned in the previous news update. It's also worth noting that the Annual hacking contest will be reaching it's deadline soon, so we have a whole new batch of awesome hacks to look forward to there. I intend to make sure the 'tube is up for that!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2009
  2. Tweaker

Tweaker OI! MIRON! Member

An entrance exam with the source of several problems on SWS2B for the longest time--I would personally avoid such a requirement for entry. Regardless, I hope you're prepared for the possible ramifications of such a change... I don't see them being too favorable.

3. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

I think it's a good idea to filter any anoying members etc. However, I'm interested: Can I do this test as well, just for the lulz?

4. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

What kind of questions are in it? I hope it's not a ripoff of S2B's former test, but perhaps it could work, although a lot of people seem to just sign up to add their silly hacks to Hacktube.

5. voice

voice Well-Known Member Member

All methods have the pros and cons, I personally see no problem with having some form of entrance exam especially like SWS2B's given the nature of this site's core focus of development and research (of course I don't fit that demographic, sssh.) Theres no perfect system to keep all the crap out but at the same time just leaving it open will only encourage said crap to keep on coming.

6. Tongara

Tongara Well-Known Member Exiled

Wow, I hate this idea.

7. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

The questions in the test are not challenging. They are questions that pretty much anyone could answer, they're are designed just to catch out people who will either rush through it, or not realise they can use a search engine. A lot of the people we have had have simply been unable to use Google to find the answer to a simple question. It's also relatively short; only 10 questions long.

No, that test was much harder than this one.

Well that will soon be solved with separate validation. There is no reason to get someone to answer questions to use hacktube.

Exactly. It will probably put some people off, but so does being forced to write an introduction topic. We're trying to raise the bar a little, and hopefully it will add a little prestige to the place too. "You got through the test? Well done, welcome to the forum!".

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2009
  8. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Well, the bar certainly needs to be raised with Hacktube. Even know the MD emulator is down, there could be some work that could be made such as adding information for the SMS/GG emulator, Beginners' Hacks crap and the ideas in #ssrg that myself and other people had.

Let's see how this goes.

9. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Took the test and scored 10/10 yay me, the questions aren't too hard, however there are 1 or 2 that even I wouldn't have known about just under a year ago though (and I was practically accepted into the scene by then), but as I've just recently read above:

so they are resonable, seem logical and are just common sense, and I don't really see too much harm in this idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2009
  10. beanDude

beanDude Well-Known Member Member

One small problem that I see is that the implementation of an entrance test makes it possible for an individual to create multiple accounts at a much quicker rate than the formerly used alternative. I really think that the "20-Post" requirement filters out those who are not willing to spend the time to make their posts look and read professional.

11. voice

voice Well-Known Member Member

I don't think it'd be too hard to write it so if someone fucks up on the test it locks them out either indef or for a certain time period, Simon did it on the SWS2B test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.