Port the MZ boss to GHZ

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by nicogearX, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicogearX

nicogearX Newcomer Member

hello, this is a really simple question but i'm still not very familiar with ASM hacking, i want to add the MZ boss to a certain spot on GHZ without removing the original GHZ boss, which code should i add or change?

2. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

You came to the right place :p . Actually the only reason why I'm able to reply to this is because I'm using my computer at work. Plus what you say isn't eactly that 'simple', well IMO anyways. You were partly right when you found the resize routine for mz, in the youtube pm you sent me. If you haven't figured it yet, thats where the camera's are set, and where the boss gets loaded for each level. So if you look at the other resize routine like ghz, you will see it loads the ghz boss in act 3. And it will show you some numbers. These numbers are the position of the boss.(or location) Cool Tip: Use the numbers in debug mode to choose where you want to position your boss. In short depends on which act this is gonna be, actually what act do you want this to be? Then I can discuss it further. If I'm still using this computer :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2010
  3. nicogearX

uh, i'm trying to find these numbers but i can't....can you copy and paste where the code is and wich it is?

4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

I've split this out since I don't believe it's really a Basic Question.

5. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

Um, what do you mean you can't see it?

Just go to debug mode and look at the HUD... You should see all these numbers and letters... That's what your looking for.

If you didn't know, those "numbers and letters" tell you Sonic's current position (where he is) in the level.

In your case, you want to put the MZ Boss in a certain place right? So go to the place where you want the boss to be at with Sonic. In Debug Mode that is... =P

And look a the "numbers and letters", and write it down or something.

As for actually putting it in your dissem. I know the answer to that, but I'm on my iTouch and I can't look at mine at the moment. Sorry

But note, even if you did this part your still not done... There's a lot of ASM code to change in order to pull this off. And, it's not simple... But meh... It's a start. =P

6. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Don't go into debug. Go into SonED 2 and place your object.

Basically what you'll wanna do is.

Has sonic reached this point? (What you need the coodinates for)

Load MZ's boss art

Load MZ's boss

Has boss been defeated?

If yes, unload MZ art

Load GHZ art

7. nicogearX

8. nicogearX

uh sorry, i meant i can't find the numbers i need to change in ASM, so if you could tell me what are the numbers i must change it would be great. oh and i don't use SonEd 2...

9. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Find the comment that has something like load boss in the resize mz routine, and look carefully in there. I won't tell you becasue the numbers are so close in the routine you shew me, all you have to do is look carefully. Think, numbers.. to do with the boss position... after the boss is loaded in the resize mz routine...=P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010
  10. nicogearX

ok, i'll try, but the numbers that i must change appear like the ones in debug mode?

11. nicogearX

sigh......i can't figure out what to change......there's nothing in common between the resize routine of both bosses........i usually do it like that, comparing, but now i'm totally lost.......

12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Could I just ask, why would you want to port the MZ boss to GHZ?

What's the goal here (Apart from archiving the port)?

It just seems a little wasteful, the only use I can think of is to see if you can do it, but even then, you're asking us for alot of help which tells me you're not used to assembly programming, so that idea moves more towards the drain.

When it comes to porting the actuall boss it's self, firstly:

Dynamic Resizing

The routines for Dynamic Screen Resizing are the same routines which load the boss objects in game. They check the X and/or Y position of the character/screen, or the status of the game, and if the results are true, it'll load the boss object(s) and lock the screen if neccesary.

What you'll need to do is look in the MZ 3 resize routine, and search for the boss object loading part, then practically, copy/paste (althought I don't recommend) to the GHZ 3 section, this takes a bit of thought, and you'll need to do this carefully to make sure the boss loads at the correct position of the act.

VDP Video Ram Fixes

Next, you'll need to fix the VRam issues (making sure you have the correct art loaded in the correct position of VRam, and without tampering with other art which may be vital to the game during the boss), now alot of people seem to have a problem with understanding VDP (let alone altering and working with it), so don't panic if you don't get it right, you'll just have to keep trying and do more research with it until you understand, or give up.

Final Bug Fixes

Now you are bound to end up with general bugs somewhere along the line, again like the VRam fixes, you'll just need to research the bugs until you fully understand how to fix them.

I would suggest for you to maybe try an archive something not so difficult for you, otherwise you'll be tearing your hair out constantly because you don't understand. Try not to aim so high, try to archive something a little smaller and work your way up to something more complexe when you understand more, that's just my suggestion anyway, you don't have to listen to me obviously =P

13. nicogearX

ok, thanks for the tips, also what i want is somewhat complicated to explain, but basically it's like a boss mixup, so i'll try doing that for now and keep studying ASM until i'm ready.

14. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

Imaginative ideas are good, but with assembly programming you really do have to start with extremely simple things first, then slightly less simple things and then the kind of things everyone else has done. Until you're comfortable with Assembly can you really go about creating what you want to achieve here, genuinely anyway. You might be able to find someone to do some of the work but it will be a lot more satisfying should you manage to do it yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.