Animated Cutscenes in Sonic 1?

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by theocas, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theocas

theocas #! Member

How can I do little cutscenes from one Act to another and from one Zone to another? I mean like S3K style cutscenes, like floors breaking and the next act starting. Please help me with this!

2. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

Oh my god, I guess you didn't read my post from your SRAM help topic. *sigh*

*7th help topic by the way... =P

3. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Yeah, I'm getting pretty sick of these help topics as well.

I'd suggest something easier to do--possibly SMW Hacking to get into the mojo--but Sonic Hacking isn't your thing. If you're needing to ask over 9000 questions, the ability should be honed in easier sections.

HackGame likes this.
  4. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Welcome to the club.

HackGame likes this.
  5. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

6. theocas

theocas #! Member

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. And I just ask so many questions because I am just getting started with sonic hacking and I want to do it right from the beginning.

7. Hanoch

Hanoch Well-Known Member Member

Well you shouldn't. Believe me, even when I didn't know a bit of 68k ASM I tried to do some crazy things that didn't work, but I wasn't signed up on sonic retro or ssrg yet to ask questions and when I did have an account here, I didn't ask so many questions at once (though I did it on scaa but I learned not to do that anymore).

I learnt how stuff work from using the ; button, to see what every line does and that is also how I made the peelout code. I worked with cases of "trial and error" simply by changing this number to another, see what it does then commenting. You should really try and do it yourself to learn how to hack and as Carrasco said, try doing simple things one by one and not everything at once.

This topic contains a lot of interesting comments of how to learn asm yourself:

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=19926

8. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

That's the worst thing you can do. Let's compare learning ASM to learning walking:

A baby tries to walk. At first he/she is doing pretty well, but then he/she falls. Repeating this process he/she will learn from his/her mistakes and fall less times and soon not anymore at all. The same thing is for learning ANY other thing, at first you try to do small steps, but fail. If you have enough sake to do it right, you try it again and again, so you get better and better at it.

HackGame likes this.
  9. Dark Lips

Dark Lips Well-Known Member Member

I lol'ed at that... but no seriously? nobody ever does it right from the start, Mistakes are how we learn - I cant remeber the amout of times my curiosity has casused errors in a rom but its all part of the learning procedure :p

10. Guest

not to be mean or anything but I have to agree with most of the members and even OrdosAlpha on how many help topics you made and I see them 24/7. I can understand if you need help on certain things, but just as what carasscoZX0 said and even myself of what I had to go through, not all questions that you ask will be answered all the time for certain things, most of the things you ask you will have to figure out yourself like I did so try to understand.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  11. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Will you be providing t-shirts with every membership?

HackGame likes this.
  12. OrdosAlpha

Yes.

HackGame likes this.
  13. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

How much does it cost for this membership? Do you receive a complimentary free pen with it as well?

14. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

I Lol'd and yet this topic is some how off topic.

15. Hanoch

Hanoch Well-Known Member Member

I could give you a small explanation on how targeting an object works: With AI.

Lets say you want to make sonic walk somewhere, you take the target position (in X) subtract it from sonic's, and that is the range beetween sonic and the target. Now you want to make sonic run there, setting the controller to move wont be enough, because if sonic accidently passes that point he will run in the wrong direction. You would need to check if the range is positive/negative and set the correct controller to move sonic in the right direction.

Y position works this way, 0 is the most top position and when the value goes higher the position lowers.

Now lets say you want to make sonic jump there, you will need to do the same thing with X pos (getting the range) and set the controll to press A/B/C (jump) But what if sonic jumps too early? You would need to check the position where you want your sonic to jump. Lets say the target position is $300 (Y) and $2120 (X)

Sonic is on $330 in Y and $2000 in X. You set the controller to run forward, and because there is a wall in $2100 (X) you would need to set the controller to jump earlier (usually thats what I do when I, the player encounters a wall) So Sonic runs and gets to the desired position, and you set the controller to hold jump ONLY, so the height of the jump is higher, but the speed from running is kept so sonic gets to the target positions and he can shoot lazers or turn super or whatever you'd want him to do, that thing you will need to code yourself.

Another way to make sonic jump over a wall, is to check if sonic's animation is pushing, and if it is, check the orientation and walk to the desired position via setting controllers.

16. OrdosAlpha

Yes. Plus a free mug and balloon for the kids!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2010
  17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Then you're heading the wrong way about it, if you want to do it right, start with more "simpler" tasks. I remember reading up on programming langauges and what the best guides were, most of them were "Teach yourself programming in 24 hours", or "3 days", or something stupid like that, and one site pretty much explains it all:

Teach Yourself Programming In Ten Years

And you know what? It's 100% correct too, learning a programming language is not information one can absorb and understand immediately, and judging by the way that you're asking for help almost 24/7 and The rom you released here 30 minutes ago, it's obvious that you do not understand how the language works and you are having a lot of trouble surpassing the complicated mathematical aspect of assembly, you cannot just rush in here demanding help for a task which is way beyond not only your understanding, but most of the guys here too.

Because it'll get you nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
  18. iojnekns

iojnekns OBAMA '012!!!!1!!!!!&#33 Member

I'll tell you how. You'll have to lean in close though, I'll whisper it so no-one else finds out.

Spend 3 years learning how to program in assembly (computer science courses which cover this might be in the range of £9000), a further year learning how to write assembly code specifically for the megadrive hardware and then a further couple of months learning the ins and outs of the Sonic 1 engine. Once you've learnt that, then yeah, inserting S3K style cutscenes like the professionally trained developers who got paid to actually write the cutscenes in S3K for a living will be a breeze. Actually I'm pretty sure the first thing they did to start their rise to technical proficiency was to write an obnoxious help post on an obscure sonic hacking forum.

Do you have a critical faculty? Do you have any concept of deducing things about the world around you simply from obvious facts?

In case you don't have the ability to unmask that spoiler-tagged text, I'll enlighten you. It's basically me being not very nice, and you should ignore me. Ignorance is bliss in so many ways.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2010
  19. OrdosAlpha

In case you don't have the ability to unmask that spoiler-tagged text, I'll enlighten you. It's basically me being not very nice, and you should ignore me. Ignorance is bliss in so many ways.
    XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.