Sonic 1 with Pallete Filters

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by vladikcomper, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

Actually, this hack was made for Russian hackers. You know most of them still use ESE II for hacking and they troll forums with their almost pallete hacks. Just look at how awful they are: http://forum.sonic-world.ru/index.php?act=...st&id=38979

Due to I really hated their pallete hacks and decided to make my own pallete hack, using only ASM of course. The main purpose of the hack is to show really good palletes and tell ESE-users that it's time to use disassemblies.

The hack has 11 different pallete filters, which programmed in ASM of course. Filters parse normal pallete in ROM and generate new pallete with different color effects.

Hack also has music changes and features Spin Dash and Jump Dash, because I guess normal Sonic 1 gameplay and soundtrack is boring now.

Hack was made in 2 days.

Download

Note: Texts in hack were made in a hurry, so I feel they're full of grammar and lexical mistakes. I'm sorry if text are unclear for you.

P.S.: don't mind the intro message, that's not for you guys :lickrom:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2010
  2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Ahhahahahaha, oh I like this, at least the palettes actually look decent.

Do you think they'll learn? NooooooOOOOOO!!!?!?!??!!?? =P

3. Hanoch

Hanoch Well-Known Member Member

Blue and red mode please (the 3D glasses)

4. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

I like this and the message it portrays but at the same time I disagree.

There's nothing particularly wrong with using ESEII. A full layout and palette hack is possible and I still use it for certain things (My current S3K layout hack, for example). I think it's not necessarily the tool, but more-so the people using it. I've seen these beginner asm hacks and they are just as bad, so it's not always ESEII's fault. Yeah, you can't do as much without ASM and you are limited in a number of areas, but some people, like myself, prefer the limitations and what can be achieved with them. Just thought I'd put that out there.

To sum it up; ESEII hacks can be good, as can ASM hacks. But I think it's usually at the user's level of use of said tools.

5. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

I have no emulator where I'm acceding internet actually. Could someone post pics?

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Here are a few:

[​IMG]

Edit: Also I agree with D.A.Garden's post, it's all depending on the person as a whole, which includes knowledge, and commitment.

7. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Heh interesting idea, dunno if you'll actually get them to work though lol.

8. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

In the past days I'm feeling more and more like being crushed down with "Why didn't I think of that?"-hacks, which is nothing bad, but it still makes me a little... =P

Anyway, really interesting concept. I most like Monochrome. And just to clear it up, you haven't done any new palette files, but are purly editing the palettes with ASM? That's awesome! Though I'm wondering how you actually did the Monochrome.

9. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

If I had to guess, you did monochrome by what the colour is close to, for example, calculating the mean of Green, Red and Blue (Add together, then divide by the number added), then check it, if it's closer to E, it is set white, if it's closer to 0, it is set black, correct me if I'm wrong =P

10. vladikcomper

I agree with it. I just was a bit incorrect in that message due to it was made up in a hurry =P

There is nothing wrong in using ESE for hacking, but using it as the only tool for Sonic 1 hacking is bad. But lots of russian hackers use only ESE and bother everyone with their "hacks". Sonic 1 hacks without Spin Dash and music changes are boring. That's why I think Sonic 1 hackers should use disassemblies.

No one good hacker does use ESE for making S1 hacks, right? =P

Yeah, I did it exactly like this. :(

Also, did anyone enter Special Stage? There is something interesting.

EDIT: TAGS =O

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2010
  11. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

Nice palette editing (especially monochrome xD :(). But why you not fix the imported songs? I'm only asking...

12. theocas

theocas #! Member

Yeah, the special stage was very interesting. If you do a soft reset after choosing a color, the color will stick and the color menu won't have a selection color. Could you share with me how you did those screens that 'type' themselves? It's a nifty effect. All of the filters are nice, considering they're done on-the-fly. Choosing LIGHTNESS filter will reveal the Japanese credits on the Sonic Hacking Studio Presents screen.

13. Hanoch

Hanoch Well-Known Member Member

I think what he did was, modify the object manager to load all objects at D000 (only when on those screens) to get enough object space, then place the object and use animations to load the line (first sprite is blank, second is with the first word untill the whole line is written) and then check for the frame, if it is on the last frame, load the object again but using a different animation. Repeat untill the verse is written.

14. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

That wouldn't be such a good idea, you are stuck with a sprite limit (not to mention the horizontal sprite masking). It would make sense to use one of the two planes and simply altering the tile maps one by one at your desired request, that way, the sprites wouldn't need to be processed (Objects, etc) and DMA wouldn't be necessary for this specific type of screen.

15. vladikcomper

I just had no time to take care of them =(

The color doesn't stick. It just happens that the selection color is the same as the normal text color when using Red and Monochrome filters due to their algorithms.

I guess it happens due to all the pallete lines were filled with black. Then the first line was filled with Sonic's pallete and filter applied to those colors, but other lines are stayed black when the color from one of those lines was used as a backdrop one. That's why hidden credits got shown.

Yes, I just used a plane to show off my screens.

It works simple: when it comes to type a letter, it alters tile mappings, remembering VRAM position for the next letter and the next row. All the letters are read from a byte array, they are not just simple plane mappings. In this byte array, there are also special bytes to start a new row and to finish typing.

EDIT: GRAMMAR =O

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2010
  16. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Sorry for bringing this back up after almost 2 weeks, but there's something I just couldn't explain myself: What are the algoriythms you used? I had these guesses:

Is that correct?

17. vladikcomper

Yeah, your guesses are generally correct, except for few ones:

LIGHTNESS:

Much increased blue, a little increased green and red.

SUNRISE:

Decreased blue and green.

SUNSET:

Almost the same as sunrise, but even less blue shades.

8 BIT COLORS:

Less color shades, just 4 shades for each color channel. So only 64 colors are possible.

SOFT:

Less color shades again. Yeah, that may seem weird, but this filter works similar to "8-bit colors". The only difference is in the bit mask that was applied to color chanels. In 8-bit filter the mask was %1010, here it's %1100 and that makes colors more rich:

andi.w #%110011001100,d2 ; d2 is the color

SEPIA:

Like you said, except for the blue, it had some value there depending on what green and red are. Though I'm not sure because I've fogoten how my algorithm works =P

18. JustANewbie

JustANewbie Well-Known Member Member

This hack wins!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.