General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

Blazefirelp, your engine is awesome, I also like how do you design the levels too. Nice replica... but there's an effect in the Sonic monitor? I see in your video that sonic can't break that, or I'm wrong?

SpirituInsanum: Your title card art is awesome too, but I'm not completely sure if you can add that to a real ROM... so good luck trying to add that :p

EDIT: Blazefirelp, is the BG a moving 3D body or something like this?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
  2. Blazefirelp

Blazefirelp Spiritualistic Spriter....Wait what? Member

You are correct, Sonic or any other character cannot break it. This is due to the fact I haven't programmed all of the monitors in yet. Their is still actually quite a lot to do before a demo is in the horizon. The 3D effect you see is only an illusion. The background is mapped and their is a filter which I have applied to give the illusion of a 3D scrolling background. This was only something I was messing with and was actually not meant to be shown due to it being something that you won't see in screenshots or any demos.

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Interesting design!

You could (if done correctly) use a map plane.

If you always make sure that the screen's starting position is in a multiple of 8 (on both X and Y), you could wait for it to draw the level tiles to the map plane (both FG and BG), and then simply write new (title card) map tiles over the FG's design, and then (in essence) redraw the level tiles back over the title card map tiles when the title card is finished.

I know that may seem like a bit of hassle, but in reality it should be quite logically simple.

Well I have faith in you regardless, it looks like you have a good sense of style =)

4. MicroChirp

MicroChirp Wow, I was so stupid a few years ago... Member

@ SpirituInsanum: Nice work, even as a mock-up it looks very good.

5. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r HighKnights Member

Seeing a lot of good ideas and concepts in this topic. Hope to see them get beyond the conceptual stage. =P

6. Giga

Giga Newcomer Member

I Agree

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
  7. GalliumGrant

GalliumGrant Void. Member

SpirituInsanium, that title card gooks great! Good luck with it.

8. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r HighKnights Member

Working on Marble Zone. We all know it contains ruins right?

I'm trying to imagine what it would've been like when it was all brand new.

Here's what I have so far:

[​IMG]

9. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Looks generally cool, but these purple stones look weird. They remind me of a virtual sci-fi future, don't ask me why. :X

10. MicroChirp

Well, it seems it's just the beginning, who knows what will be made later...

11. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

They say old temples were colorful (and most of the time they show them with crappy colors to prove they know what they're talking about).

Anyway, that's an original idea, we've had ruins and ruined environments of all kinds, but very few functional or recent temples. ^^

Btw, here's the in-game version of my title card:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the black stripes were flickering, so I removed one and cut the other. Well, it's still a decent title card compared to the one I had before ^^'

edit: stupid tinypic removed my previous pic? Last time I use it, I have to find another image host... >_<

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
  12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

So wait, that one is actually in game? Awesome stuff man, I'm impressed =D

13. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

Of course it's in game, I wouldn't post a mockup twice ^^'

Too bad for the black stripes, I liked them, but trying to push the limits is part of the fun.

For now, the red waves are moving down and the grey "stairs" down/left. The title and black corner come from the right, stop and leave the screen on the left, left/left for the red stripe, and the "act" part disappears in its corner.

I have some per pixel details to tweak (title and act number placements), but it's probably the final version otherwise.

14. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Sorry to rain on your perade, but unfortanatly I don't like the look of it =X. Kudos for getting it in, i've had tile issues when making a bigger titlecard bar, but you know your asm and you've modified a way around that which I couldn't do so well done. I just don't like the look if it though, but in my opinion only.

15. Animemaster

Apologies for my double late post:

[​IMG]

You know you love it.... enough fooling around, I was just happy with the result. I am gonna try and tidy up the emblem.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011
  16. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

That's a very ugly Sonic head, I will say that.

17. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

Looks pretty nice so far Animemaster. =)

But, like I told you in MSN. Sonic's pallete needs a bit or work. Also, the emblem needs work too. As well as the BG.

But yeah, nice job. Just fix those few things and your title screen should look fine. =)

Oh, I noticed that you re-sized Sonic and changed the art a bit. This is probably why Sam thinks it looks "ugly." (Or not. =P)

Come to think of it. Sonic's hair does look a bit strange.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I assume you changed it because you told me something about VRAM problems or something like that, if I remember correctly. I hope you could find another way to fix this. =)

EDIT: Also "CD EDITION" need to be more in the center. Thought I'd point that out. =)

EDIT2:

You should Photobucket or something like that. I have pictures in there since 2009 and there still up. =P

Also, nice title card. It looks really cool. I'm glad you were able to pull it off. Nice job!

You should really make a GIF of it. I would really like to see it in action. =)

18. Blazefirelp

Blazefirelp Spiritualistic Spriter....Wait what? Member

And maybe a less filtered screenshot, Is it me or does it look blurry? Also, Sonic looks squished on his Width. Also, why not use the Sonic CD font and add "Edition" underneath. Like so:

[​IMG]

19. MicroChirp

Yes, that looks pretty good and I like that font.

20. Animemaster

Thanks for the suggestion, but i'm not interested. The reason why sonic seems 'sqaushed' as you put it, is thats what he was like on the sprite sheet I got. I guess who ever ripped it shrinked or somewhat. Unless I can somehow extract it from the actual sonic CD rom, then well you know the anwser.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.