Sonic 2 Nick Arcade/SW level layout problem

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by SuperEgg, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Long story short, I am hacking S2NA. I've got the coding down, but I need help level layout wise. Due to the fact that the level layouts are in some unknown compression format, I have no idea on how to go about editing them, other than editing the values themselves in the asm, which is tedious and not to mention annoying. So SSRG community, how the bloody hell do I get the layouts editable for SonED2 use? I know. In theory, I could simply just edit the asm itself and make it read layout compressions like it does in the final, which I've done btw, but I want to edit it without messing with the asm.

btw, this applies for S2BSW. For some reason, it has the exact same type of format.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2011
  2. M3k

M3k h4x Member

They're decompressed. At least in S2B... and if you said they're in the same format on S2NA, I think that's the same for both.

Now, in order to edit the layout on SonED2, you must open a S2NA ROM in a Hex editor, copy the layout data and save it in a new BIN file. Same with the object placement. Also, extract Sonic's palette and the zone palette. Then you must create a SEP (SonED Project) file and point it to your layouts. Then, you must change your disassembly to point to your extracted files.

It would be easier if someone did a split disasm of S2NA. D:

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, I'm somewhat in a hurry now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2011
  3. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

No. S2NA really uses a different level format (until with possibly the same kind of compressions), the response of this question from Filipino is called Genesisfan64. He have a fixed version that opens with the last version of SonED2. Filipino, I suggest you to ask him for a copy.

4. SuperEgg

Thanks M3K and Eduardo. I mean at this point, I'm porting s2b levels layouts into the game as is, and it seems to be working fine. The only thing is, I still can't edit them, so I guess I'll make some contact with Genesisfan64 later and see if he would be willing to give me an updated version of said disassembly.

5. Gardeguey

Gardeguey Well-Known Member Member

Have fun.

- The animated GFX tiles doesn't work, you have to realign them yourself

- the sound driver is the S2 Clone one

6. SuperEgg

Thank you GenesisFan. I owe you. For your efforts, you get a cookie

[​IMG]

Reason for edit: 1 post left, need to use it for something important.

Hey there lips2k8. In theory, I should've stated this earlier, but I decided to look at the layouts in SonED 2. It works, for the most part. It seems that for some reason, SonED 2 reads it like Sonic 1, so all chunks after 80 do not show up, instead it restarts the numbering system at "0" with a (loop) written in the chunk layout, so it seems it works, but I have to somehow make it usable for SonED 2. So, I will research how to do that, and I will release it.....pretend you did not read that last part.

Another Edit. Seems I have fixed it. Its all good. I have fixed my level layouts on Soned 2.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
  7. Dark Lips

Dark Lips Well-Known Member Member

Hi there - I havent done any programming for a while as I have been recovering from surgery on my head... anyways I have had a look at your dissasembely and was wondering if you could detail the changes you have made and how they work?

8. SuperEgg

Actually, I've just released my own version of this disassembly that has the layouts editable in SonED 2, so I now have no problems with level layout editing. Also, I was going to edit the disassembly code directly to make the files read their Sonic 2 Final version files, which I can still do (and still might do =p), but it seems my original problem was trying to understand what compression the game uses for it's layouts. I tried using uncompressed setting in SonED 2 for the layout, but always came out weird looking, if not just incorrect. But since I restarted with a clean Sonic 2 project file, it now is no longer a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.