Sonic Hacking Video Tutorials

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Animemaster, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

So I've been working hard as I am doing an IT apprenticeship Level 3, and I'm all most finished so I'm starting to get some more free time. I tend to get new hackers asking me simple questions(Some a bit more difficult), and even after several attempts, sometimes they still do not understand how it works. Now I believe in giving people a chance, after all I was new before and didn't know much, doing things all wrong but I learned from my mistakes. So my question to you SSRG, is if I were to do some sonic hacking video guides on YouTube, do you think this would be a good idea? or do you feel it would just cause people to use guides and not learn anything(which is obviously what I do not want).

Of course, I don't attend to do super awsome hard coded guides to give away, just simple guides and my own tricks I've learned. Whether it's ASM, music hacking, or art I'm willing to pass on some of the things I know, and note I'm still learning. I would beleive it wouldn't be a terrible idea, but then it all depends on what guides I come up with, and how bad the disadvantages are. Of course which is important to me, is your views on this. If all systems go, then I will most likely update this page with links to such guides. So guys? whats your opinion on the subject?.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2011
  2. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

I often thought, it'd be a good idea to create more video tutorials in the style of Qjimbo's ones. I'm not fully sure, but I feel like the idea of users being able to create their own video tutorials, showing them to us and we will decide to upload them to the tutorial section, if it's good enough. I really don't know why this idea was never brought up again.

So, I'm totally pro-video-tutorial. Infact, I often felt like I should working on tutorials again (like I did 3 years ago, just worse).

3. Animemaster

Oh absolutely, keeping the tutorials clear and easy to understand, and to break it down in sections too. These are the sought of ideas I had in mind when going about it, because of course people will be listening to my voice so I need to make sure I'm heard and that I'm actually making sense. However I know people prefer no voice in tutorials, though I feel it can help when you actually here it, hence "Qjimbo's tutorials" mentioned by Selbi above.

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Well I say go for it, if you think you're able to make video tutorials that can not only teach but make it easier for people to learn from, then why not!

It's always a good thing to wlecome anything that can help progress our culture/scene from anything of technical or down to plain having fun.

5. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Feel free to make some and I'll put them somewhere on the website. There have been plans to make more video tutorials, but Qjimbo has been busy and away, etc. Nothing wrong with anyone else stepping in to make their own stuff.

6. Animemaster

Marvelous, thank you for the feedback guys. I'll come up with one guide first to see how it pans out.

Edit: I think I'll leave the basic "Setting up a disassembly" as I'm aware that Qjimbo and Selbi have done these guides before.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2011
  7. Animemaster

Bump Time:

Now I've been wanting to start these tutorials to see how it would feel to some people. So before blasting the video with loads of tags, I want the communtiy (thats you guys), to give me some feedback and tell me how it looks, how I sound, am I clear enough etc.

Its only two parts as the dwelving into layout editing took longer than I thought, so I've only got the first part. The second will include testing the rom (Would of done it in this one, but youtube moaned about it being longer than 15 mins), and my 'Do's' and 'Don't's' of layout editing. That will then tie in with MarkeyJester's recent post on layout editing and I will include it in the description if people want to pop over here and take a look.

I was also thinking of doing one extra video. This will be a community video, where you guys will join in by giving me layout tips that may help you and may help others or general good tips you know, and then I will go through them in a video and explained which user said it and explain the different things you can do etc.

So what do you think so far? Thanks for reading.

Edit: Also tell me if the music gets irritating. I thought it might lighten up the tutorial a bit with some Sonic tunes from various Sonic the Hedgehog games.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2012
  8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

The music isn't irritating, in fact, I found it to be quite professional, though you might want to consider speaking up a little (just a little), in general, not bad at all.

9. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Pfft... Where's the naked ladies?

10. SSGD

SSGD "I can't believe what cool boots you have on!" Member

Not a bad job on the Tutorial video Animemaster, very informational on the bare bone basics of level editing for a sonic rom. I liked how you included other useful things to note as well such as keyboard shortcuts when it came to choosing objects along with what each key option actually does. Hopefully this will give the additional aid to those new on the hacking scene.

11. Animemaster

Well thats good to know, and I'll take note to speak up a little bit more thanks.

Ha ha ha, oh Ordos that made me smile =P. Possible... future tutorials..... maybe... not =P.

Thank you, I'm glad is was very informative. I wanted to get my guides across in the easiest way possible, so that more people can understand and not give up on the first hurdle.

Thank you very much for those who have posted so far, your feedback is appreciated. How do people feel about getting involved after the second part? I thought it would be a nice community idea in giving your personal tips. Does anyone like this idea? would anyone be wlling to share their personal layout tips?.

12. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

These guides are actually pretty decent! Looking forward for future episodes.

13. Selbi

I can't really resist the urge to make a promotional video for your (hopefully) soon to be amazing tutorial series. After all, I was involved with these like three years ago as well and they were the reason why a lot of people subscribed to me.

Maybe.

14. Animemaster

Why not? the more the merrier. I will get cracking with the second video, I guess this will be my official topic where I'll post these.

15. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

I was referring to your desktop wallpaper.

16. Animemaster

When you still live with your parents, you have to be careful about what is on your computer, I think I'll leave it at that.

17. TheFurryFox

TheFurryFox http://vyrissthevixen.deviantart.com/ Member

*******.COM. YOU'RE WELCOME.

18. Selbi

Oh look what we got there:

However, I'm gonna move this to the Discussion forum, so anyone can see it. After all, it's a Sonic video.

19. Animemaster

Ha ha nice Selbi =P, simple yet straight to the point, I like it. Also thanks for doing this, its nice to have support, I'll do my best with these tutorials!.

20. Animemaster

Double Post for Update:

http://youtu.be/Uhy58uiiSD0

Part 1 continued, again because of me chatting away to long I have had to split it into yet another video. So that will be my extra tips. If people want to put their suggestions across before I start work on it, then they can do. If not, I'll just upload it anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.