Sonic 2 Recreation

Discussion in 'Staff Projects' started by redhotsonic, Sep 10, 2011.

?

Should I bother to update Sonic 2 Recreation?

1. Yes, any update would be nice!

92.5%
  2. No, I'm only interested in seeing part 2

7.5%
  3. No, not at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I uploaded the video, then ValleyBell mentioned it. I thought it was the emulator itself, not an option lol.

All videos after this will have that option turned off =P

As for turning it down, I see what ValleyBell says, as music isn't my department, then I will get back to you. Just a warning though, I've been told it's impossible to do the same with the drums, so they will remain unaffected.

2. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Kega Fusion handles good recordings if you use that.

Also, the sound change was first implemented with Sonic Colours, not Generations. Just saying.

3. ValleyBell

ValleyBell Well-Known Member Member

Although I can make the music quieter (and this would be no problem), I can't change the volume of the DAC drums. At least not with the current DAC driver.

And it would sound weird if the music would be quieter and the drums won't.

btw: I didn't intend to copy Sonic Generations (or Colours).

4. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member Member

It's probably easiest to switch to an alternate set of drum samples, I modified the S1 Harder Levels DAC driver to allow switching drum kits mid track in my hack, it's not particularly difficult. I could help you out if you want.

5. ValleyBell

Thanks, but the current drum set has 54 samples (and already spans 8 banks), so it would be nicer if the DAC driver could control the volume by itself.

Maybe I'll try to modify the DAC driver. I know a few games that can control the DAC volume.

6. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

I remember seeing it in Super Mario Galaxy back in 2007.

7. Sonic master

Sonic master Well-Known Member Member

It is very possible to change the volume of dac all you need to do is add or subtract to the byte that is being played right now the dac reads byte by byte so before writing to ym2612 just add or subtract a number or just used a signed byte and add.

8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Personally, if you want my opinion, why not do something REALLY surreal and different, volume changing isn't really something "exciting" (it has been mentioned that a lot of other games have done it before).

Do you know what would impress me? If you wrote your DAC driver to modify the PCM bytes in a way that it "softened" the sound, maybe soften isn't the right word though, what I basically mean is to alter the PCM sample to actually "sound" like it's under water, now THAT would be awesome, it's different, it's surreal, it's unique!

And if you do succeed, I'll personally ensure you a nice orange Pro-User upgrade (courtesy of the "Jester's Fix And Go" Corporation!).

9. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    You mean like a distorted sound, or like a muffled sound?

10. ValleyBell

I'll see what I can do, I already have something in my mind.

11. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

I liked the idea a lot. As far it remember me Sonic Generations. Awesome!

12. RandomInnocentGuy

RandomInnocentGuy Newcomer Exiled

Yeah, me too. Ah, 4 months of retro goodness... I really would like to consider this as Generations 2, but...

nah, i'm just going crazy for handheld (GBA/DS) titles. XP

13. redhotsonic

Um, eh?

14. RandomInnocentGuy

What I mean is that you ported the some of the art from the offical games in the past, that's what.

But to be honest I usually don't like some of the handheld titles, but this seems ok to me.

Except I can't really recall where the great gate's art is from, must be from another game, I guess. :

(sorry to confuse you.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
  15. redhotsonic

Great gate's art was created by StephenUK who kindly let me use this. The art was also used in a fangame IIRC

16. RandomInnocentGuy

Oh yeah... I like lt, by the way. Say, there are ring loops you can pass through them in the air,

did you use a hex edit, or ASM to make it? just sayin'. I mean, their not perfect due to the genesis

quality limitations. Also, I don't really like the HUD. I like the classic genesis HUD better. Not to be mean,

but try to use the best eye candy you can, that has appeal to the eyes. However, if custom stuff is just what

your going for, then don't take my word for it. In other words, I think the graphics in general are really REALLY good,

but not the best, like, say as megamix 5.0. Period.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
  17. redhotsonic

I used this HUD because the icons are a bit different to what you see in other hacks. Also, this is an ASM hack (although some bits are made from a hex editor).

18. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Who said he wanted it to be like Megamix? I hate all these constant assumptions that everyone wants to make a hack like Megamix, but to be honest I've played hacks that I would consider better than Megamix, based on the sheer fact that I find them a lot more enjoyable. Not all of the art in Megamix is brilliant either at the moment, I should know coz the parts I think are lacking are the zones I did the art for in it, with the exception of maybe Misty Maze but even that can be improved. I will agree that in this hack there are a lot of lashing art styles, and I have already told RHS this on many occasions, but that is something that can be tweaked over time until the hack has a consistent art style. Comparing what is pretty much a one man hack with a couple of people helping out in some areas, to a proper team of 8 or more hackers all with a specific role and a specific quality that they can bring to the project is frankly ridiculous.

19. redhotsonic

I don't want it to be like that. It's too over-rated. Now I'm going to get shot for saying that =P

20. FinkMac

FinkMac Swëdish Chef Member

Walk down the street. You will see a car. Tell the
    Looking at your trailer, I realize that you used the Sonic Advance level art, In a similar way as I was planning to use it…

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.