Art/ palette problem when using SonMapEd?

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Hwd405, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hwd405

Hwd405 Newcomer In Limbo

Recenty, I have been trying to hack a Sonic 2 disassembly. I've ran in to numerous problems, rage quit a few times and downloaded around 10 programs to try to aid my needs. However, I am still having problems. I don't know how to edit art yet, but that is not what is concerning me.

No, what is concerning me, however, is the fact that every time I load level art in SonMapEd, the palette is all wrong.

'Have you remembered to load the level palette as well?', I hear you not ask. Yes, I've tried that, but the colours just get crazier.

I also tried to edit the palette, and upon loading the ROM, I noticed that the level was covered in a thick black sheet, disabling my ability to easily traverse the level.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, or perhaps point me in the direction of a tutorial?

2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

It depends what picture/art you're trying to import into the game. First things first, make sure the game format is on Sonic 2 (settings > Game format > S2).

If you're making custom art and need a custom palette for it, go to "Settings > Image importing > Auto Generate Optimize palette" (there are other options here to that are self-explanatory incase you need to use these in the future).

Then go to "File > Load from image > Import sprite sheet" and pick your sprite sheet. It will import the art and make it's own palette for you, the best it can get it ayway.

I hope this helps.

3. Hwd405

Hwd405 Newcomer In Limbo

Thanks a tonne! I'll try it!

4. Hwd405

Hwd405 Newcomer In Limbo

Okay, after experimenting with EVERYTHING(ish) in my hack, I've only got as far as to be able to change level names and layouts. I'm still having trouble with art, but that's because I just realised that I don't know what a sprite sheet is. Well, that's a lie. Everyone knows what a sprite sheet is, I just don't know if there is supposed to be a specific layout of the tiles on the sheet. Also, I seem to get really strange results from changing art. Every tile in a level would be like the tiles I import from the sprite sheet, and everything else would have a really strange palette.

[​IMG]

5. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Hang on, what have you done here? imported level art and this was the result? seems like a vram issue here.

6. Hwd405

Hwd405 Newcomer In Limbo

I'm not really sure what I did. I'm thinking it's something to do with the mappings, because I usually import from sprite sheet, then save over the old file (and yes, I do keep backups). I know that I'm not doing the full process of exporting art. Can anyone tell me what you have to do after exporting from the sprite sheet? Also, just so everyone knows, I have no idea how the mappings thing on SonMapEd works.

7. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member Member

You're probably better off using either soned2 or sonlvl to edit level art.

8. Hwd405

Hwd405 Newcomer In Limbo

I do use SonEd2, but I can't figure out how to edit art using it. I have no idea how to use sonlvl, can anyone give me a little tutorial? I can't find one anywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.