Necro Posting

Discussion in 'Site News' started by OrdosAlpha, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

A month or two bump, OK. But 6+ month necro post is taking the piss. So it's this simple, if you necro post then you're gonna get a 3 day suspension. Do it a second time and it's bye bye.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  2. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Doesn't it also depend on the contents of the post? I mean, if I'm working on a hack and I want to post a big update after several months of inactivity I think it would still be better to bump the old thread to keep all the information gathered in a single thread instead of creating a second one (but it's also true that a moderator can merge those two threads afterwards). What should really be discouraged are the random posts by random newcomers that come out of the blue and add nothing meaningful, such as "I liek thiz hack" or "can I has a betaa?".

At least, this is my point of view.

3. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Nineko, I'm pretty certain this post is directed at those folks you are talking about.... And probably some folks, like myself, who goes off and accidently backseat mod and look like a fucking idiot instead of just pressing the report button.

4. DarkLeach

DarkLeach Well-Known Member Member

Yeah. We really should use the report button. It's a lot easier that way, and a lot less hassle. I didn't even see it at first. Maybe it should be more prominent? XD

5. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

That's the idea of this new rule. If you have a valid point to get an old topic back to the top it's an understood and respected decision. Of course, this also includes bumping an old topic because you have an important announcement or update for it.

Pointless bumps is what goes too far (this includes doing meaningless praise for something, asking questions that have already been answered or should be asked somewhere else, and shit I just can't understand).

6. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

It gets really annoying when huge bumps are being made. It doesn't help when this is being done by new Trialists either considering that a few users have ended up having their Trialist phase revoked. There's no point of you being on here if you won't follow the rules. Enough said.

7. SuperEgg

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?

No, but seriously. Is there a way to like turn off privaleges for are trialist folks to not be able to post in the Submissions forum. Seems that is where most of the problems are.

edit: didn't want to feel like a hypocrite.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  8. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Yeah, it's true. But it's also true that small bumps are also annoying when they adds or suggests absolutely nothing for the improvement of the project or the purpose of the thread itself.

9. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

OPs are free to bump their own project threads, as long as the reason for doing so is relevent - say updating with new screens or a video to show the latest progress. It's the absolutely pointless necro posts that are taking the piss.

10. Zana

Zana In Bun We Trust Exiled

Maybe it's not possible, but can the topics be locked after 2 months, then, ask the mods when the OP wants to update it? that could evade some issues

11. SSGD

SSGD "I can't believe what cool boots you have on!" Member

Would be a hell of a lot of topics to lock after two months, so unless someone is actually willing to search through topics from 2 months back to lock them, I don't think this idea would work.

12. SuperEgg

Can't OP's lock topics when they feel like and unlock. I believe you can do that on Retro, I'm pretty certain you can here.

edit: NVM, you can't. Can that be implemted on here?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
  13. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

In general it is a bad idea to give random people the chance to lock their own topics, as it can easily be abused (e.g. lock a hack topic because people are saying bad things).

14. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

All we really need is a big, red warning message to be displayed when somebody attempts to bump an old topic, something that can't be overseen. Nobody can blame us then for not informing them then.

15. Pokepunch

Pokepunch That guy who posts on occasion Member

I second this epic idea.

16. SSGD

SSGD "I can't believe what cool boots you have on!" Member

So something that autodetects a topic that's two months or more old and puts up a warning message? I believe that could work.

17. DarkLeach

DarkLeach Well-Known Member Member

Yeah, This will work great! At least I hope it will! :) Please put this into action!

18. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

There is a plugin available that would close threads after a certain period of activity, but Ordos would need to get it as only those with licensed IPB accounts can grab the files. Thread creators could use the report button to request their thread to be reopened, and certain forums could be exempt from auto-locking if wanted.

19. Zana

Zana In Bun We Trust Exiled

I second the big red text idea, tho autolock would make sure some Darwin-Award-Worthy users don't bump them anyway

20. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

But, Selbi, how does a big message would prevent people to commit another bump on the same thread or even other one? I don't see a point where this would help preventing large-time bumps. I think that the auto-closing could be the only methods to prevent unfortunate bumps. Exactly like Spanner said in the post above, they can use the Report button for request their topic reopened, this way the administration/moderation/staff/etc will have more control on why the topic being reopened and decide if the motive that the topic's author said is a valid reason for the staff to reopen the topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.