And now... I present to you... Sonic The Hedgehog Psycho RFG Edition

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Psycho RFG, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psycho RFG

Psycho RFG Well-Known Member Member

Hi!

Too many time since my last video, so now it's time to show how the project is going in a new one. Here you can see a lot of the new implemented features, a story before the title screen, the new "morphenomenal" special move, and toons of other cool features. Levels are still WIP but still solid and well done, but the important here is to show the features and the solidicity of my creation, everything full working and done carefully!

So... here it is:

Enjoy... the Power!

2. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

While I find the idea intreguing, especially if it's expanded on beyond a single screen-clear move, I have to ask where you got a number of those things shown:

That SEGA music/sound: I remember when I made that, specifically for S1EE/Sonic Megamix. I do not remember releasing it, and was shocked to hear it at the very beginning here. Where'd you get it/who'd you get it from?

That SONIC text on the title screen: Again, it is Sonic Megamix's (old) title screen SONIC text. While it's no longer used in Sonic Megamix, it would've been nice to either acknowledge or ask. :p

That Super Peel-Out: And again, is suspiciously like Sonic Megamix's that I coded. Just curious if it was your own by coincidence or if you got it off of someone else.

Apart from those questions, some constructive critisism...

Stock art: Give your game its own theme, instead of using stock springs from elsewhere for every zone, that starpost, etc. Make it unique and individual to your hack.

Sonic's animations: While those Sonic CD spring sprites are overused, and another issue entirely, you might want to add the whole animation instead of just one frame. Same goes for a few other things. There are guides on how to add extra frames and edit animations, it shouldn't be too hard.

The point of the hack: You've given Sonic a power morpher, yet it's just a one-second clear-screen-of-all move. Why not make it synonymous with Super Sonic, but for a far more limited period? It'd certainly be more impressive for the idea, and you can limit it in whatever way you want. I'd use something other than rings, though, for that. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
  3. Pokepunch

Pokepunch That guy who posts on occasion Member

Firstly adding on to Cinossu's point, isnt that crossed-arms frame from Blazers Sonic AGX? Also that Magnetic ring code has been in a lot of hacks recently.

But anyway carring on, your new move is a bit empty needs a bit more life to it: Why not make Sonic a Power Ranger for limited time?

One thing I do like is the SSTH Sonic on the title screen, I was just going to do that.

4. Cinossu

The crossed-arms standing sprite is a simple edit of the standing frame with Super Sonic's crossed arms from his Sonic 2 balancing sprite. It wouldn't be hard to make it yourself.

5. Pokepunch

Pokepunch That guy who posts on occasion Member

Fair enough, but its still not too original.

6. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Power ranger, haha, I like that idea. When he does his power ranger move, you should make the screen flash white.

7. MegaGWolf

MegaGWolf Unofficial Official Hack Showcaser Member

Cinossu I would think the whole single animation thing might be because of the frame rate of the video, if it's a fast animation and he isn't recording at 30 FPS it's going to look like a still image.

The hack looks pretty cool though, I agree that maybe the new power could be more like a temporary Super Sonic mode, "Ranger Mode" maybe, though don't ask me how to do that haha.

Seems to be coming on nicely though, shame you couldn't make the Ranger outfit seem more "Sonic" like giving it spikes or something :(

8. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

It would be a good idea to replace the SEGA sound and the title screen. That's all I'll say on the matter.

9. Cinossu

Mayhaps, considering shields in the video, but when you think the animation itself is 5 frames long, flicker would show at least one other frame. It seems more like an individual frame replacement to me.

10. Psycho RFG

It's not as simple as you say, it destroys monitors and badniks and even undestructible object like badnik balls, orbinaut balls, bombs, and even hit the bosses. MarkeyJester help me to do this code and then I completed it to make it perfect.

This song is not used in MegaMix only. The one who gives me this and toons of his songs don't want to be credited so I think is not appropiate to name him here.

First of all, I not played too much MegaMix, but after reading that I have seen the logo and it's not the same... Here is the proof, left one, Megamix letter, at the right, mine:

I have to say it is similar, but it's not copied or edited from that, I did full job of this. It's only a edit to make the logo looks gold... nothing more.

It's NOT your own, don't worry and it's not from Megamix, how can I use it? How can I extract the code from the hack? :S I don't understand that kind of accusations :S

I created this code with the help of vladikcomper and I edited it a little and used the spin dust as in the spin dash... I have cheked again, and it's not like on MegaMix :S

I like using different art for each act, I think tha't is good and gives the game more visual variety.

About Sonic animatioins, obviusly I know how to do it... since I added a lot of new ones but I like that Sonic 1 style and don't want to saturate the game with too many animations.

And about the move, as I said before is more than that and don't work with rings, you have one Power move for act, but my idea is starting with one and make a new Ranger monitor that gives you another aditional move. It's only for a little help, as is said in the story, the Power is too weak in the Sonic world to keep it morphed too much time, but who knows...

What???? What are you talking about? It's the standing pose edited to look like Super Sonic standing pose and make Sonic looks more powerful. Again, I don't know what that Sonic AGX is, but this standing pose is in my web screenshots since about 1 year. So if it looks like mine, maybe he copied me... :S

It has a white flash when the move destroys everything (maybe is not noticeable sometimes in the video for the framerate, but I cheked and you can see it clearly in the Labyrinth Zone part of the video, in the min 3:30.

Haha, good one... but that is the morphosis, you can look different with the suit lol

But anyway, Sonic morphed into a Ranger is looking to the front so... maybe hi have his spikes :p

What? it's only the MegaCD SEGA sound :S

All the shields keep his original Sonic 1 animations and frames number to don't waste VRAM. So the Sonic 1 shield and electrostatic shield (based on Sonic 2 shield) uses 2 frames only.

11. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

I think what they mean about the Sega sound is, its not a direct port from the SonicCD Segascreen. This one was made for use in a megadrive game rather than Sega CD. And because this was not meant to be publicly released I see, they think that you might of stole it from Sonic Megamix or another hack that it has been used.

Though you stated that someone gave you the sound, but you won't state the name. Is this because he's actually not apart of the Sonic Hacking community at all?(Not a user on Retro, SSRG etc) because this is starting to sound like this guy stole it, released publicly and with out permission. You thought it wasn't stolen or whatever and so he gave it to you. Again this is my assumption on what has been said here, if I and others are wrong, your going to have to state who this person is, I think that will clear some things up.

12. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I forgot about the frame rate of the video. Fair enough =P

13. Psycho RFG

That guy was on the hacking scene time ago and he has a few hacks done and yes, it's someone "important" or at least, it was time ago. I will talk with him first.

Yeah, but anyway, the flash is perfectly noticeable in the video, take a look :p

14. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I donno about the SEGA logo sound, but I will say for the record, I did in fact help him to produce a destroy objects routine, and he has made his own modifications and shown me (which are genuine at best).

Just... putting it out there that this might not be the case of "stolen" content but rather slightly "unoriginal" content instead.

15. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

If you're not going to tell us who gave you it then you should just remove it. Cinossu made the SEGA sound and he wasn't the one who gave permission to use a song that only appeared in two hacks.

16. Psycho RFG

OK, no problem. As I said, I will talk with him and if this is a misunderstanding and that song shouldn't be there in the ones he gave me I will remove it. It finally it's Cinossu's song and he don't want that I use it, it will be removed, I respect the work of others.

17. Psycho RFG

OK, I talked with him and you are right, that one is not from him and I shouldn't use it. It was a mistake that this file was there, in all the music stuff he gave me. I don't think Cinossu will let me use it, or yes? If not, that person gives me his own version of this song so I will use that one. Let me know. Thanks and sorry for any inconvenience for that, it was not my intention to use something without permission.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
  18. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

This is win simply because you used the Alex Kidd theme for Sparkling Zone.

I agree it does look un-animated.

A quick suggestion for the scrap-brain layout is to make it a bit faster at the start so it fits the music.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  19. Kensou

Kensou Well-Known Member Member

I like what I see, it seems it's the most original hack I have seen. Solid history and with sense and a good feature according to that story. Excellent job! If you work harder on it, it will be definitvely one of the bests. I like the random monitors in Scrap Brain Zone and how these monitors are more variated than normal monitors. and talking about that, what is that random monitor that flashes the screen in white and plays the special stage goal sound?

20. Psycho RFG

@Kensou: Thanks.

Well, in fact, there are a lot of different features that can happen with the random monitor. That one you mencioned is the "invert controls" feature and the name says all :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.