New Rule

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Spanner, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Ever looked at this page? You should, especially when there is a new rule in effect.

Remember, you can always change your display name in the User CP. Just don't make a habit of it.

2. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    So basically, I can't call myself Sonicwaylon91 then?

Anyway, what came about for such a rule anyhow Spanner?

3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

It's been a general rule on most Sonic forums for a while (IIRC)

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Really? Wow, I... Never knew. Wouldn't it make sense though to somehow "prevent" anyone registering their username if it contains characters from 0 to 9? By that I mean, instead of inplacing it as a rule, have the register page come of with an error saying "Your name may not use characters from 0 to 9" if someone happens to put those characters inside the name they're attempting to register with. It would save a lot of hassle.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  5. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

Not sure it would be a solution, there are probably "valid" (I didn't write "good") nicknames using number, such as, for example, robot names (the E series in Sonic).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  6. DarkLeach

DarkLeach Well-Known Member Member

Aww, I have to change my name, but what to change it to... :( I use that name everywhere else...

7. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

We could just knock the 7 off the display name and leave your login details the same IIRC, it's been a while since I've done it but I think it's still possible in IPB3.

8. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire Well-Known Member Member

Absolutely correct. As long as the login name remains unedited, DL7 can use his existing login information, while showing up as DarkLeach, or Dark Leach, if you prefer.

9. manicheadgehog

manicheadgehog Newcomer Trialist

Well do i have to change my name been here since sep.2011 and i named myself this

10. DarkLeach

Alright, no worries, I'll change my display name. I understand why this rule is in place. It's so people don't try to have the same username as someone else (And also so people don't get confused right?).

For Example:

Code:

<Username>2

<Username>3

Also I have a question, do I have to change my "Member Title" since I have DarkLeach7 in it?

EDIT:

I tried Dark Leach and it wouldn't let me, so I just knocked off the 7. I'm just DarkLeach here.

[/CODE]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
  11. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

The rule was brought back because of registrations, but if you have a better name to use, please do so.

We had this rule before, it was dropped when we were using Qjimbo's rule set.

12. manicheadgehog

manicheadgehog Newcomer Trialist

soooo....do change it?

13. DarkLeach

Yes, we have to change it. It wouldn't be fair to the newcomers, or the other members saying: "It's not Fair!, how come he's exempt?" So yeah... you have to change it, it's a new RULE. :p

14. Tongara

Tongara Well-Known Member Exiled

Guess Oerg is fucked then, huh?

15. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Is there any particular reason why numbers are forbidden? I can't wrap my head around it.

16. Guest

Yeah I am a bit curious about this myself. how come numbers arent allowed? though im not saying i want to have some in mine if i change my name again but just wondering. I don't see what the problem is having some but thats just me.

17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Actually, you know what? I too am curious, it seems we have a few respectable members who have numbers in their name, hell, some of them I would love to see hanging around these parts like E-122-Psi for example...

18. Tongara

Tongara Well-Known Member Exiled

Mutiny at it's best.

19. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

I think if the name is somewhat original and has a requirement for numbers such as that one, it should be exempt from the rule. However, if the persons name was something that lacked imagination, like if mine was Stephen18374536 for example, as if it was a random suggestion thrown at me by a generator, then that is the kind of thing which should be forbidden. After all, I wouldn't want to be remembering stupid numbers after a name just to track a person down on the forums or to reply to a comment they might make if 2 people have a similar name.

20. DarkLeach

Most people refer to me as "Dark", "Leach", or "DarkLeach". Nobody ever throws the "7" in there. When I first made this name (back in 2009) it wasn't because "DarkLeach[insert Number Here]" was taken, I just like the number 7. :p Nevertheless nobody refers to me with the 7, but I still know it's me when I get referred to without it. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.