Sonic The Hedgehog - RG Edition - <Beta 0.5 Release>

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Viva La Luna, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viva La Luna

Viva La Luna A.K.A. crypt0nymous Member

I thought to make a random hack with no story than the original game. It's Sonic RG Edition.

Just a basic Sonic 1 hack just with edited levels, palettes and some of ASM codes.

Final Version is coming at whenever it gets done. While waiting, play this crap.

[​IMG]

Code changes from the original game is the spindash and fixed spike bug. I'm not smugging about these features because I didn't draw the code by myself, Taken from Selbi's Sonic 1 Hacking Tutorial on Youtube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was released two version of this hack.

June Test Release:

Copy-Paste from Youtube Description:

Beta 0.3:

Copy-Paste from Youtube Description again :p:

Special Thanks to:

Esrael G. Neto;

level(ESEII), palette(ESEII), music(ESEII Sound Importer), title card(Title Card editor), level select text editing(ESEII)

Selbi;

Sonic 1 Text Code Generator

Sonic 1 Hacking Tutorial

Hivebrain;

June 2005 Disassembly(ASM68k)

[EDIT:I forget someone on special thanks :p .

Nineko:

Eggman Monitor Guide]

Please share your opinions about this hack.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012
  2. FinkMac

FinkMac Swëdish Chef Member

Walk down the street. You will see a car. Tell the
    Not much in the way of a hack...

3. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Ok, I'll start this with actual criticism.

Your hack is FAR from ready to be released. In fact, Screenshots/Videos is where this belongs, without the release of course. Let me lay down some basics points.

-Your layouts aren't actually as bad as some, but it needs to be definitely fixed. There are quite a few chunks that don't fit, or just float in space for no reason.

-Your palettes aren't really up to snuff. They're not "GOD OH MY" horrible (green snake), but they need some work.

Otherwise, you're actually on a great start. Just don't give a release before any real progress is made.

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

The palettes are strange, the layouts are slightly off in places and there are reminiscence of the original levels in places, the music midifications aren't major, but are OK, not too great.

But for some reason, I actually enjoyed playing your layouts in SYZ, as messy as they may be, they were actually entertaining.

5. Arctiq

Arctiq OBJECTION! I WILL CROSS EXAMINE THE WITNESS' PET P Member

A very interesting first hack. I agree that the palette is a bit weird. It just looks like the normal one, only darkened. I notice in some points that the music is actually faster which is very cool to listen to. And to me, Sonic's spikes look kinda shorter but I'm not sure lol. The thing I didn't like is the long stretch of flat land in first act. I can't explain why, though... Overall, the hack is mediocre to an extent, but it's pretty good for your first hack. And also the thing that kinda peeves me is the floating monitors xD Keep up the good work! And thanks for the invincibility box tease :mad: lol.

And why with the dick move in SYZ zone? xD

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
  6. Captain British

Captain British Newcomer Trialist

This really isn't anywhere near ready for release dude. If anything you should just be posting WIP pictures in Screenshots/Videos so that people can critique what you've made so-far without you needing to show the full extent of your unfinished work. Some of your layouts are pretty fun but, as others have said, they are extremely unfinished with floating chunks and objects all over the place.

Your palettes, at least for GHZ and the title screen which were the extent of my play, are pretty hideous. You need more variance in the colours rather than just making them look flat and dark. Some brighter blues as opposed to dark ones in the scheme would compliment the darker ones very well and make everything pop a bit more. There are plenty of night-time GHZ palette swaps out there that you could look at for reference (but do not directly copy them.) I can see the effect you're going for but it's just not working right now.

I'm not a big fan of what you did to the music either, in most cases it just seems like you sped it up so that you could change it for the sake of changing it. It just sounds bad. You shouldn't make changes just for the sake of changing things.

But don't let this poor release discourage you, you just need to focus less on releasing and more on making a decent hack. Then when you have something that is definitely worth showing, release it. Until then just keep posting your progress in the Screenshots and Videos thread so we can critique it and help you improve c:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2012
  7. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

Simple hacks are a great milestones for beginners. Yes, the palettes are a little atrocious and the art could use a sprucing, but that's nothing SonMapED and SonED2 couldn't handle for both sections.

8. Viva La Luna

Once again, thank you all for your opinions, folks.

What do you mean about this? :p

I was edited the music only in June Test Release, Other than that I didn't sped 'em up, That is a bug when you have speed shoes monitor and finished the act before the end of Speed Shoes Power, Which doesn't resets the tempo in other musics.

Thanks, man. I have just holded the release until whenever it gets done. I'll be working on this hack properly until a time.

Actually I started to make this hack at Late of May. And I released it in 7th June, but it seems totally unfinished. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012
  9. Viva La Luna

This is the latest version.

EDIT: Uploaded a video about this hack.

Improvements:

SCREENSHOTS:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

VIDEO:

Special Thanks for this version:

HCKTROX and SonicMaster:

Splash Screen Code

Esrael;

ESEII Sound Importer 0.01(better version ;))

And the guys I have credited on previous topic.

If I forget someone on credits, please forgive me.

Please share your opinions.

STHRGBeta05.zip

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  10. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    I don't want to sound rude, but why did you create a whole new thread just to tell people about the release date of your hack? Seriously, just post in your old topic about a potential release date and move on, if you have to double post, fine. Plus, why are you trying to give everybody a definitive release date of your hack? To be brutally honest, nobody is rushing you to finish, and there isn't a lot of people quite interested in your hack. Release when you feel it is ready or at least presentable, not just to say "hey look guyz, I made chagez. DOWNLAD NOAW!!!" Don't try to appease people by re-releasing your hack with minimal changes made, you really are wasting your breath, and if you feel it is very necessary, than post it in the topic you already have. If I offended you, I apologize in advance.

11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

You make a very good point, sir, *merged*

I will say though, you've been told about backseat modding before, please stop =)

12. Arctiq

Arctiq OBJECTION! I WILL CROSS EXAMINE THE WITNESS' PET P Member

Hey RG, I wouldn't really set a release date (using the term loosely) until you actually are in the final stages of the hack and you actually KNOW when you are going to be releasing it. I'm gonna tell a story, once there was a modding team who were making a game called "Black Mesa Source." They were actually so confident about their mod that they set the release date to be 2009. Do you know what happened to them? They rushed their mod and there were so many bugs in it and it was so incomplete that they had to push the release date to "Whenever it gets done." I'm not saying that's what you shouldn't do, it's your call, I'm just saying that's what happens when you set a release date so close. Just a word of advice. I'm not trying to be mean or anything.

Just please don't rush your hack. You're hack is very nice and I'm looking forward to it. :) Keep up the good work!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012
  13. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

I like where your hack is going. :) Reminds me of when I started hacking, in fact Dark Hill Zone was what I named GHZ in my very first Sonic hack too. xD Though there are a few bugs that need to be addressed. The tempo of each song you've ported from Sonic 3 is off, and Sonic's starting position is also off in Spring Yard Zone. I've also noticed that Sound ID 83 causes an illegal instruction error... Other than that, take your time with your hack. You don't need to set a date in stone for a release, no one is rushing you. Especially if you're new to hacking. I can't wait to see the final revision though. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.