Updated to new version: New sega Genesis Palette Editor

Discussion in 'Utilities' started by Sonic master, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonic master

Sonic master Well-Known Member Member

Please Re download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0l7dfb592m611mz

Change log:

As pointed out by TmEE co.™ on the spriteminds fourm http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1173 the RGB values they are in steps of 36 not 32.

if you are using shadow and highlight mode you can now preview what the palette looks like in that mode

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In order to improve effectiveness and efficiency while editing a palette I have made a new palette editor in c++ using FLTK for gui related stuff the advantage over this program compared to other palette editors is huge you will see an improvement in efficacy and be able to edit palettes faster especially when working with a character palette and a level palette an example of the character/level palette setup is the Sonic series of games for the genesis Sonic's palette is stored in a separate file so that his palette is not saved more than once so it saves memory.If all 64 colors are stored in one file press save all and it will save the all 64 colors to one file and to load all 64 colors press load character palette and my program automatically detects that the palette is in one file Also if you are using the vdp mode called shadow highlight you can preview what the colors will look like just be sure to remember that the palette file does not determine if the vdp is in shadow/highlight mode.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  2. Arctiq

Arctiq OBJECTION! I WILL CROSS EXAMINE THE WITNESS' PET P Member

This looks way nicer than most palette editors! Would it be possible to make a preview window for the palettes?

3. Sonic master

There already is a "preview window" you can see all 64 colors at the same time it is even in the first screen shot.

4. Arctiq

Arctiq OBJECTION! I WILL CROSS EXAMINE THE WITNESS' PET P Member

Nooo, I meant like, a preview of the level using the palettes you changed. So you don't have to keep building the rom each time to see how it looks.

5. Sonic master

This tool is not only for sonic games and do not want to add a bunch of features that would be sonic specific and besides I do not like the level format that sonic uses the 16x16pixel (2x2 tile) blocks are not needed they waste cpu time that could be used for other things and 256x256pixel(32x32) chunks are too big and they encourage repetitive level design. I am starting work on a new sega genesis level engine that will use 64x64pixel(4x4 tile) chunks and will not have many of the problems that the sonic engine is plagued with. I will get more in depth about the new engine once I have done more work on it.

6. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

Overall it is a pretty useful program

7. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Aren't most palettes used in levels editable within level editors?

8. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

SonED2 has that option to be able to do that from what I know. either way I might give this a try sometime.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
  9. Sonic master

Yes but I find it unintuitive to edit palletes with soned2 because it is difficult to save the modified pallete as a different name to do that in soned2 you must first create a copy of the character and level pallete and then edit the project file this program is designed for efficiency for both dis assembly sonic hackers and homebrewers alike.Also in soned2 the boxes with the colors are very small in my program I made sure to make the boxes big so that the colors are easy to see again to increase effectiveness in editing palletes.

10. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

You guys do know SonED2 is not the only level editor out there right? I know of at least two others (one of which nobody uses).

11. Sonic master

Don't worry I am sure alot of people use your program SonLVL and the reason Soned2 is popular is because it came first and even though your program is better I am sure alot of people will still be using HivePal just because it has been out for a while and alot of people know about and when asked about a good pallete editor they will of course respond with the only program they know about HivePal.

12. Mike B Berry

I get an error when I open a level pallet. it says no palettes should be over 94 bytes.

13. Sonic master

I don't understand I can load a level palette perfect. It's OVER 96 bytes that it returns an error NOT 94.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
  14. Mike B Berry

Never mind, I opened level pallet instead of character pallet.

15. Sonic master

Just thought I would let everyone know that I have updated my program and I would highly recommend that everyone download the new version.

16. Mike B Berry

Is the next version going to allow the capability of saving a pallet line with the shadow or light selection? I believe it would be a nice inclusion.

Well I could have a corrupt palette line.

17. Sonic master

The palette file is not how you use shadow highlight here is a quote from genvdp.txt http://cgfm2.emuview.../txt/genvdp.txt
    It is impossible to toggle shadow highlight mode with a palette file to enable shadow highlight mode insert this line of code

Edit: 8C not 0C

Code:

move.w #$8C89,($C00004).l

and to disable shadow highlight do:

Code:

move.w #$8C81,($C00004).l

Now once you have enabled shadow/highlight were you want it you need to edit the priority in a sonic level editor set the tiles you want to be normal brightness to high priority and the ones you want to be shadowed to low priority.

18. Mike B Berry

Alright this is very helpful thank you.

19. Sonic master

Did you test it yet?

It turns out I got the values wrong it is:

move.w #$8C89,($C00004).l

and to disable it do

move.w #$8C81,($C00004).l

not 0C but 8C