Help running S1Megamix 4.0b on actual hardware

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Jareth247, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jareth247

Jareth247 Well-Known Member Member

I'm using ImgBurn on the image (which is an iso), and every time I've burned the disc (at different speeds: 1x, 2x and 4x), the same thing happens.

It boots up, it loads up the disclaimer at the beginning (stating its' not an official SEGA product, blah blah blah), and then it gets to the Sonic Retro splash screen, but the colors are muddy and dark (like it's about to load the image) but it just hangs there.

Also, a few other games I've burned at higher speeds have some distorted sounds, like at the Popful Mail title screen and at the beginning of a new match in Eternal Champions.

2. Jareth247

So, should I try a faster speed? A different brand of CD-Rs? Or does S1M not work on actual hardware?

3. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Megamix does work on actual hardware.

4. DJaftershock

DJaftershock TWO-DEE-ECKS-GOLD Member

I've seen a douche reviewer called Spax3 review the CD version of Megamix, and it was ran on actual hardware. No clue what your problem is, try getting a different game and see if that works? If it does, it's probably a faulty iso.

5. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

I suggest trying a different speed, as well as a different CD-R. Out of curiosity what brand are you using now? When I first joined Sonic Retro I downloaded Megamix and burned it to a Maxwell CD-R and it works like a charm. Though I can't remember what speed I used... :

6. Jareth247

I've actually recently replaced the ISO (originally DL'ed from SonicRetro) with one DL'ed from the Team Megamix website (though they're both the same). So it's not that.

I've tried as fast as 8x, and I'm using Memorex, the same brand as my other burned Sega CD games, though it's got a different design so they probably changed something (though they probably only changed the design and not anything important).

I just don't wanna burn it at too high of a speed, out of fear of what it may do to the Sega CD, which is used.

But then again, I'm also using a different computer (my old one's dead) and possibly a different burning program. I think I also burned my others at a higher speed.

7. MrSpade

MrSpade It's meant to be Mr_Spad3 but y'know... Member

As far as I'm aware, the Sega CD only reads at 1X or something low. To be safe I'd say burn the disk at 1X and also try a different brand of CDs.

8. Jareth247

I can only burn images at either 8x or 24x, and I recently burned a different image and it worked fine burned at the same settings. I've also recently managed to get Kega to read CDs (all I had to do was disable "force ASPI") and the burned image worked fine, but that means very little. Does anyone else have issues? Could it be my BIOS?

9. Sonic master

Sonic master Well-Known Member Member

I have heard of the sega cd having issues with certain brands of CD-Rs also I have heard (but not tested) that CD-RWs don't work. I have played sonic megamix on my sega cd without any issues.

10. Jareth247

Each time I used Memorex, and when I burned Dark Wizard recently, I did nothing different (same brand of CDR, same speed, same drive, same software, etc). I wonder if I should dig out my external DVD burner drive.

11. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

12. Jareth247

I already know how to burn images, and used the same brand of CD-Rs as you but at 8x speed.
    What program did you use? Did you use an external drive or the one built into your computer? I'm using the drive built into my laptop.

13. Sonic master

Sonic master Well-Known Member Member

Make sure the game is the same region as your sega cd and if megamix was the right region try another game or burn the proper region if the region was wrong. I use sony CD-Rs and those work good too.

14. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

I also have it burned on a Sony CD-R (at x4 speed), and it works like a charm. Used ImgBurn to do the burning.

15. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

For me I was able to burn it on a Imation CD-R at 4x speed using DVD Decrypter as my burning program and worked fine for me.

16. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

I already know how to burn images, and used the same brand of CD-Rs as you but at 8x speed.

What program did you use? Did you use an external drive or the one built into your computer? I'm using the drive built into my laptop.

I used Nero Burning ROM and the drive built into my old laptop, I went to Costco and bought 100 for £5 or something ridiculous like that, so just keep trying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.