General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GT Koopa

GT Koopa Well-Known Member Member

[​IMG]

So like this?

Tried to make it more 3d by extending the side walls like how some games do. The only downside is that it isn't realistic perspectively and I wanted to try to avoid it as much as I could before. The problem before was that the wide floors blended in with each other if they were on a higher ledge.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  2. Guest

@jdpense: not bad with the character swapping there. though you should probably try to make it to where it doesn't keep reloading their animation and position in as if the stage has just started.  

for me, another something that I made a change on a bit:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

It wasn't Electroball that did this, he just quoted it.  It was actually Jdpense that showed the video =P

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Blazer, consider making the water a little more blue, or at least a purplish colour, and I'll follow your work like a dream, because the rest is wonderful to look at.

Very pleasing stuff!

5. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Bored, deciding to show you something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNGR4RkUZHU

Edit: You can comment if you want, throw whatever you have at me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2013
  6. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

The animation seems nice but it needs a bit more fluidity, I think. The last few frames in particular don't seem to work well with me; try closing Shadow's mouth, maybe?

7. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

He is supposed to look like he is telling you to go forward.

8. Professor Neo

Professor Neo Well-Known Member Member

Hello there, my fellow friends here at SSRG. I have taken some time off from Sonic hacking to concentrate on school and other stuff, but now, I am back, working on a personal S1 project. However, this is limited only to special stages. I won't be doing a full hack.

In this screenshot below is a custom set of redrawn and recolored special stage items I made for my project:

[​IMG]

I have spent a full, painstaking week doing this, all down to the last detail.

• The slightly modified S3K-style wall blocks were given a shade of black to make it almost blend into the background
    • The jump, transparent, and up/down blocks retain the same design, but were refurbished.
    • The bumper, custom-drawn, looks somewhat similar to S3K's (Slot Machine stage)
    • The word "GOAL" was replaced with a "!" on the goal blocks, much like the Sonic 4 style
    • The "R" on the re-shaded S3K R block appears a shiny yellow for the sake of saving palette space
    • New-look 1-UP block (Tails and Knuckles added)
    • The glass diamond blocks were redrawn to the similar Sonic 4 style 
    • The Sonic Advance-style rings use six shades of yellow
    • The emeralds were custom-drawn by me (The cyan emerald is shown because my project source has seven special stages/emeralds in it)
    If anyone wants to use this redrawn art in their hack, just be sure to ask my permission before using and credit me. I may have to make the specified palette for this set, though. So be sure to ask for the palette file too. The HUD and title card text art (shown in the screenshots below) are not included in the set.

Here are some test shots below: (All shots are from the Knuckles source; I haven't started on Sonic or Tails yet)

[​IMG]

• The HUD (rings/life counter) is applied just for show and my personal desire. (I may go back and fix the "RINGS" and the numbers--looking a little overdefined and miscolored) 
    • This is the Chaotix version of Knuckles I'm using, but it was recolored.
    • The BG will be replaced in the finalized version of my project.

[​IMG]

I gained an extra life earlier in the run because I placed 1-UP blocks in each of the stages. (Just in case if anyone asked)

[​IMG]

This is the 7th special stage of my project. The shading is a bit off because it only uses three shades of cyan. The results screen version of it is perfectly shaded with the full four shades of the color. I did collect all 300 rings in this stage and gained four extra lives (I placed two 1-UP blocks in the stage)

Now, the results screens:

[​IMG]

The "CHAOS EMERALDS" text appearing yellow makes it look appropriate and very rewarding just from getting an emerald.

Notice that the emerald placement is standard, not placed in the middle. The Continue sprite (not shown) will be fixed later

Should you fail, however...

[​IMG]

... the "SPECIAL STAGE" text appears a neutral gray color.

Get all the emeralds...

[​IMG]

The character's name in the text appears the appropriate color! In this case, "KNUUCKLES" is colored red. And all the emeralds are fully shaded. I may consider realigning the emeralds to the hexagonal S2 formation in the final version.

I am surely confident that this is eye-candy to each of you because art is something I'll be making a living off of. I was inspired by SpiritInsanum's delicate art for his S1 hack to do this. And he does have my permission to use my special stage art for his hack if he wants to because I believe that it just feels rewarding for me to even look at the visual attributes of his hack.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2013
  9. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

I remember you, nice to see you're still working on that hack. I will say that I'm not too keen on the rings, but that could be the colour scheme.

BTW, what happened to your postcount?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2013
  10. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Oh wow! Just wow... That is brilliantly impressive!!

You sir, are a pure genius or a god when it comes to presentation, I mean, the details of every block are phenomenally clean and take wonderful use of the limited colours, you've even reused black and white for the really dark and light areas of each element based on a singular colour, I can clearly say that you know what you're doing and have a clear direction in mind.

What's even more impressive is that you've included the rings and lives counter HUD, that goes further into saying that you know how to program reasonably well, you understand how the engine in this area works, and cover the bugs that may present right away.

I would love to see what you have in store for the background, whether it be a fixed up/improved version or replaced, it's all the same to me, I know you'll do well at it either way.

I'm also impressed with the knuckles sprite you've shown off there, you've recoloured it well I feel.

I would love for you to keep the art for your own hack instead of giving it to SpirituInsanum, I have nothing against him, he's just as brilliant, I would just like to see you go further with this, if not now because of your school, then at least at a later date.

You have officially made a fan out of me, congratulations!

And get lost Dandaman, those rings are wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2013
  11. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Did I land in a parallel universe again? A place where there are actually AWESOME S1 Special Stage graphic edits?

12. Professor Neo

Professor Neo Well-Known Member Member

@ Dandaman955: Not intending to be off-topic, but there was some confusion with my previous account which caused me to make a second account, thus leading me to a temporary Exile for breaking the "No Multiple Accounts" rule. And speaking of the rings, that's the sharpest possible way I could make them, having to use all those shades of yellow.

@ MarkeyJester: During the time I was away from SSRG, I did try working around coding and though it took a while, with a little bit of help, I got the results I wanted. Upon returning to Sonic hacking, I said to myself that I should stick to what best interests me: art and special stages. And yes, I used to have a beef with you and a few others over begging for help, but that was the past--this is now.

@ Selbi: Yes, I have officially returned to special stage graphics editing. And these graphics are way better then before! And I did receive some inspiration from Sonic 4.

What do y'all think of the Chaos Emeralds?

EDIT: Graphics Update

[​IMG]

I felt that the bumper really needed a second look and little more shading, so here is the improved version, which obviously looks much better than the other, from my perspective.

EDIT: Graphics Update #2

[​IMG]

• Slightly toned down the wall block, lessening the white highlight (compare the above shot with the one further above)
    • The jump/transparent/UP/DOWN/R blocks, re-shaded, given a more defining look
    • Sharpened the star on the bumper by adding some darker shades of gray and recoloring the ring light blue instead of yellow
    • Gave the goal blocks a more menacing look making them black with red and blue highlights
    • The 1-UP blocks and rings were slightly re-shaded as well
    Much improved from the previous set, people?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013
  13. DevEd

DevEd A lol who occasionally doge nothing Member

Bump.

Just thought I'd post the new Sega screen for my hack (which I will release when it is presentable):

[​IMG]

14. redhotsonic

It was hardly a bump =P

Anyway, looks sweet, nice shading on the background. I guess this just fades in and out?

15. DevEd

Actually, no. It just pops up from nowhere with absolutely no fade whatsoever right now.

And thanks. This means a lot coming from you.

(Tidbit 1: I had the graphics/tilemap/palette for a while, but when I tried to insert it, it appeared glitched. I only fixed the glitch today.)

(Tidbit 2: I also have an original Sega sound (e.g. not the standard SEEGAAAAA chant or a SMPS rendition of it, an actual original Sega sound created with Audacity.))

(BTW I would have posted this sooner, but I was delayed by A) Apple Software Update (on Windows too!), then B) a Java update, then C) this, then D) an AVG update.)

EDIT:

This is because I'm still using the code from the original Sega screen, minus the palette cycling, which I removed because it made the background go bananas. So, there's fadeout, but no fade in.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
  16. redhotsonic

It would be good if you made a fade in, then it would flow better.

17. DevEd

I'd like to do that, but the thing is I don't know how to work with palette fading.

But at least I know enough ASM to do this (without stealing code!):

[​IMG]

(BTW That's another screenie of my hack)

18. fdswerty

fdswerty Well-Known Member Member

These ending poses are starting to get overused, really, I even have them in my hack:

[​IMG]

=P...

BTW, Is this palette better than the old one?

19. Guest

You have no how right you are on that.

[​IMG]

also, not sure if anybody noticed this already but a bit of a position change I made for this

[​IMG]

20. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

It *is* possible to be original with victory poses, I did this in 2008 and nobody copied it yet:

[​IMG]

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.