General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

No-one copies the holy cat.

NO-ONE!!!

2. DevEd

DevEd A lol who occasionally doge nothing Member

I feel it is safe to reveal the current title of my hack: Sonic the Hedgehog Edited.

Here, have a video preview. It shows off some of the new moves. (Thanks goes to Selbi for the jumpdash.)

3. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

I like the variations of the jumps, nice work, although this is a bit glitchy for my liking entirely. Jumping through a wall is very goush for something as nice as a "I feel this is worthy enough to be shown." situation. But I digress on this fact. The spindash animation needs work and shouldn't make Sonic look as if he's revving in the ground. Nice job overall.

4. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

[​IMG]

In case anyone wanted to see them, I ported them ages ago and there in the special stages. There are 7, but how do you get the 7th?, that will be revealed either in a teaser video or when its done.(Maybe in the contest) I'm really hoping to make it much more worth the judges while and get it in before the contest's deadline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Metal! don't you wave that finger at me!. Oh and yes, anything out of place or broken I already know of.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2013
  5. Sonic master

Sonic master Well-Known Member Member

Wow very good job Animemaster. The artwork is amazing except the waterfall in the second picture the transition between the wall is too sudden.

6. GT Koopa

GT Koopa Well-Known Member Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ihWSsXa_Q

Because it was such a hit at Retro.

7. Guest

Oh That's fucked up man XD, This was just hilarious. in any case I like this concept here of how you made the orbinaut function. ever considered making this as some sort of a miniboss?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  8. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

At first this was intended to be a joke post somewhere, but I tried programming this into Sonic 1 as POC to test my skills to the best of my ability; surprisingly it went really far into the design process.

Introduction:Have you ever wanted to change the difficulty of Sonic 1 without the aid of menus? Now with the flick of a button, you too can make the badniks stronger, making the game much more daunting than what one would expect.

[​IMG]

By tapping the A button on the controller, Sonic or the playable characters can throw a ring from his collection, if the ring hits a badnik it becomes enraged.

[​IMG]

Once enraged, the badniks are faster, and tougher in terms of how many hits it takes to destroy them. It really depends on how many rings were or used on the badnik; since this is still POC it should be one hit per ring, but Its not 100% accurate work just yet. Of course when it comes to programming, nothing is 100% accurate, just welly developed...

The badnik is only capable of moving at the speed it was increased to once it has absorbed a ring, the reason why I kept it thus far was because it'd make the game a bit too difficult. Especially when all of the badniks except for a couple will have the capability of homing in on the player.

A nicer "Reward for your hard trouble" is given to you when the Badnik is destroyed, the ring or rings that the player gives the badnik are dispersed, ready for the picking again, making collecting those extra rings much more worthy of keeping.

As far as the badniks go, these badniks are in their most stable forms:

Motobug

Caterkiller
    Batbrain
    Jaws
    Buzzbomber

Burrobot is being worked on at the moment, this one is much different than the other badniks for some reason, I think it may be the general speed of the badnik, but ideas will flood my mind soon enough...

At the moment I'm having but two problems with the current code; such as the ring count not subtracting the amount until a badnik actually absorbs said rings, and when restarting a stage from death, the badniks remain enraged (Only the ones who were given the rings), but non rings are dispersed after destroyed.

(On a lighter note, the badniks can collect stationary rings too, making the ride much more enjoyable for those who need that extra jump start.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  9. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

Seems like a really cool idea!

10. Professor Neo

Professor Neo Well-Known Member Member

I've been posting my updates on Retro, but I don't forget to share my work here.

New blocks

[​IMG]

• 10-Ring block - gives the player 10 rings
    • Timer block - adds 30 seconds
    • Checkpoint block (X block) - Acts like a solid jump block, disappears when a certain number of rings are collected
    • Mine - Deducts 10 rings from the player's total, player flashes upon hitting the block
    • Ring 2x Multiplier block - Makes rings worth double its original value; e.g. nabbing a 10-ring icon nets the player 20 rings. This effect lasts for only 15 seconds.
    • Red timer block - Avoid these! They deduct 30 seconds off the timer
    • Gold Star Medal - Collect all of them to earn a Continue (number varies per stage)

BG design update

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is edited from the Knuckles Chaotix bonus stage BG.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  11. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I must see this in action; it looks sweet! Keep up the good work.

12. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Ooh, interesting. Will there be a cycling palette?

13. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

It's good, but my OCD has a problem with the two identical pixels in a row on the two middle axes. Too bad I don't think it can be fixed :(

14. Professor Neo

This is what I'm basing it off of:

[​IMG]

There are 12 different frames of this I took snapshots of (Not gonna post every one of them). I'm gonna redraw each of them like the ones shown in the previous post. I'm not sure if palette cycling is gonna apply to this since each different BG is gonna be based off the emerald color and there's gonna be seven different BGs. I have little experience with ASM and I'll be asking a lot of questions regarding the matter. 

Unfortunately, that can't be fixed. Looking at the VRAM space, the combined dimensions of the tiles would add up to 160x112 pixels, and each 16x16 tile would be used four times, rotated to each of the four possible angles. That's 240 tiles.  Altogether, this makes the BG symmetrical horizontally and vertically. 

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
  15. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

(Mikes POC)

Wow this is great something brand new that we have never seen before, sounds like this will be a fun feature to play around with, Well done MIke!!

(New special stage art)

Its good a little hypnotic. I won't be wowed until I see it in action. Looking forward to that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
  16. Professor Neo

These are all mockups -- just to show what the SS would look like with the BG in place (I may further alter the BG design if it's possible for it have its own palette)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like the original, I want the BG to have its own palette, separate from the main SS palette, with palette cycling since it's gonna be animated.

17. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

Shit, I be trippin' balls. For some reason, I really like that you've gone with black to offset those colors, can't really explain it. Looks really cool.

18. Jareth247

Jareth247 Well-Known Member Member

I just had me a nerdgasm!

19. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I am guessing the BG will not be animated?

20. Professor Neo

Yes, it will be animated. I ripped all 12 frames of the Knuckles Chaotix bonus stage BG. What you saw were WIP mockups. And it's likely palette cycling may be needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.