General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theocas

theocas #! Member

That hack was a piece of shit. There's far more that can be done with Mode 1 than just CD-DA, and the init code used in that was terribly unstable and would break over petty crap. Nothing impressive at all, and looking back, there's nothing but regrets in releasing that mess when so much more could be done with it.
    Yeah, it's a bit harsh, but I think theocas and I have more than a bit of say over what we think of that failure of a PoC we wrote. And yes, I have no qualms with damning that hack whenever it comes up.

To justify that viewpoint that my colleague voiced above, (and shares with me, that's for sure) a little bit of background information on that hack might be in order.
    We figured out about Mode 1 in November of 2011, and worked on hacking up some homebrew software to serve as a testbed for our ideas. Eventually, we had a somewhat functional initialisation code that worked well enough in most of our tests, so we decided to turn that into a PoC that people could actually play with the Mode 1 idea a bit. It was mid-December 2011 at this point. Mind you, the entire hack was pulled off in about a (sleepless, I might add) weekend, so clearly it was littered with bugs, and the initialisation code was horribly broken as well. It took us a few months to get the initialisation code somewhat more stable, but it was still a huge blob of inefficient crap that didn't want to work right every 1/10 times. Or 9/10 if it hated you. At that point, we had moved on to writing our own Mega Drive software and documenting the hardware, and that really opened our eyes as to how much more was possible to do with the hardware we had at our disposal.

That hack really was a "hack" in every single sense of the word, and then some. Didn't really work right half the time and some ensuing events led to us going our own ways, usually keeping away from the community most of the time.

tl;dr: we're perfectionists that hate releasing unfinished work, and also love to invalidate our previous achievements when we figure out something better.

On that note, Y'all might want to keep an eye out…

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2013
  2. fdswerty

fdswerty Well-Known Member Member

WIP MZ art:

[​IMG]

Moar suggestions?

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Kinda reminds me of Dark Fortress Zone, but it's OK.

4. Guest

Thought that I should show this off since zippcast is dead and now have to be forced to use youtube again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItHU_OFb3BU

(Not final yet)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  5. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Where do I recognise that music from?

As for the video, you're layout aren't bad at all, although I do realise some bits from Marble. I'm not too keen on the background, I think it's the palette that's slightly off-putting. Foreground art is quite nice.

6. Guest

Yeah I still have some parts of the level art to edit still, and the background is only a temporary one I'm using until i can think of how I am going to design the bottom area and possibly the top area with the sand. also to your question about the music, it's from the 1st level of Loopz. Credit to Crash for the SMPS version.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  7. fdswerty

This is where it comes from.

Anyways....

Anyways, I like your art on MZ, Blazer, even though as RHS said, there's still some art bits from the original MZ. The BG kinda needs some work, it looks a bit dead but I like it :) I also personally dislike your music choice, I find it unfitting. But hey, it's not bad. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Wrong link

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2013
  8. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I meant I recognised some level layouts from MZ, not art edits. Although there is art from MZ still so both correct.

9. fdswerty

It's been a while since I've showed off something from my S3K hack. Anyways, screenshots down here:

[​IMG]

Angel Island. Gave the zone a sunset palette so it'd be kind of fitting with my music choice.

[​IMG]

Hydro City, finished with art and palette. Actually, I don't like the original game Hydro City art, so I've edited it to make it suit with the palette I gave to the level.

10. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I like the new mixture of green and blue in the background there, it looks like there's a light from below shining up, the overall palette of colours gives a very ruin/jungle feel. I'm also happy to see moderately decent foreground edits.

Well done!

11. Gardeguey

Gardeguey Well-Known Member Member

Well, i'm still here:

[​IMG]

I might give the source to some pro user if wants this to be reality, i got tired of continuing on this.

Note: It might look like a silly paint copy-paste, but it's not, ok?

inb4 hate comments

12. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

Split screen?

13. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

The second flower is missing a tile D:

14. SteelTitanium

SteelTitanium Newcomer Member

Looks like it, at first I thought it was a photoshop edit. But after a while I noticed its Splitscreen.

15. SpriterIceman

SpriterIceman Who still uses Iaza Member

You have no idea how much I love multiplayer oriented hacks and would love to see this happen in some form rather than go to waste. It looks amazing, never thought about splitscreen without the S2 squish effect. I imagine it'd be less "cramped" if it was dynamic splitscreen as well (became one when both players are close, split when they separated from eachother), but its not like I can even fathom all the technical know-how that goes behind all of this already. :V

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013
  16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

If it's done how I think it's done, then there's no way I'm touching it, sprites would cause too much hassle... Good concept nevertheless, well done.

17. Gardeguey

Gardeguey Well-Known Member Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIdYdYfXLyU

anyway, here's a vid.

...and the glitches everywhere...

EDIT: updated

- The background of 2p is missing because of ScrollBlock3 still reading 1p's level address

- Some problems reading sonic's actions (the code still reads the original Sonic object, but for some reason it reads the 2p sonic object instead)

- LAG

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
  18. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

Man, this is totally awesome! I had a similar concept in mind for Sonic 1, but never came to actually implementing it. Nice to see someone else trying this thing. It looks really impressive and smooth so far (and don't be too concerned about bugs as you showing it to us, we all know bugs are hard to avoid on these stages of development, so that's fine and it doesn't depreciate the impressive work, you've already done).

I especially love the fact you didn't copy Sonic 2 implementation in this concept, making something original and better looking. Keep up the awesome work!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013
  19. Guest

[​IMG]

(W.I.P.) also don't mind mind the hud and the s3 sprite as this was in my testing source.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  20. ProRunner

ProRunner Newcomer Member

I like the foreground, do you plan on showing more of the background. Anyway great work so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.