General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

Sorry about that. I haven't played the newest version of BAB. But not having the right animations and palette REALLY bugs me. 

2. Guest

And Yet another update to hit the board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WRzu9wNqY8

Welcome to the Secret Shuttle (Still a W.I.P.)

Along with some Screenies since parts of the video quality is Shit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Joenick: Aside from the s3 sprites as I really could care less which ones you prefer to use, I'd say that the palette is pretty good as it is. I would just say leave it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

Didn't flamewing create a fix for the "ring sound interrupt" that gets really bad in Sky Sanctuary (for Tiddles' Sonic 3 Complete hack)?

Since this fix is for flamewing's driver, I'm not entirely sure how simple doing this will be in Sonic 1. I think its worth thinking about fixing though, as the ring sound is much more intrusive and obnoxious in Sky Sanctuary's bgm.

Other than that, the stage over all gives me a sort of a 'Floating Launch Base Zone' vibe, and the palette makes good use of several different shades of yellow. However, what if you subtly introduced some of that complementary purple that Launch Base Zone utilizes (or maybe orange)? That may create a more interesting color set with a little more variety...

I should also mention that in the video, it looks like it is possible to get stuck in that spot underneath the descending stairs at around 1:09-1:11 (unless there is some kind of secret path there).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
  4. TimpZ

TimpZ Well-Known Member Member

I'm can't say the choice of music is very fitting in my opinion Blazer. SS music is floaty and inherently nostalgic in a way. It fits a zone in the clouds where you revisit old bosses perfectly. Your zone seems more like a yellow construction site or something similar mechanical.

Your monitors look somewhat similar to the ones I posted a while ago in the art thread. Just out of curiosity, did you use them or draw inspiration from them?

Also I saw that you implemented an air dash/homing attack thing. The super peelout was used in an interesting way, to get past one of those fans. That was an example of good level design because you used the moves of the character in a clever and uniqe way. The homing attack was not. Imagine if Ristar couldn't grab onto anything with his hands other than enemies? There wouldn't be much of a point to the move or at least the levels would suffer tremendously. This is the problem with the homing attack I see in your hack. What's the point? Are there any drawbacks?

You also had that extremely long automated section at the end. Play through the stage 100 times, is it still as fun? Can you accidentally die if you happen to hold the wrong direction and one point (or none at all)? Automated sections were never longer than a loop or two in the originals (aside from the tubes in CP I guess but those are unique so it can be excused) and for good reasons. Ever played Sonic Rush or Colours for DS? To an extent, Generations 3DS? Remember those automated sections at the end of like every level? Yea, a big detriment the games.

The art you use for yellow pots in the foreground throw me off, they're too similar to yellow springs.

Other than that, decent I guess? I might come off as a big narcissist or whatever and that's not my intention. I'm looking at this level and I don't see anything in the design that makes me really want to play it. It's a rearranged, slightly cramped clone of SL with new moves, some of which are overpowered and adds nothing to the gameplay. That's my opinion and you're free to disagree, I'm not saying I'm an expert in video game level design, but you wanted critisism and you got it. I hope you found it helpful at least.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
  5. Guest

The Music is only a place holder until I figure out what songs I would want to go with the stage as the other 2 acts for this stage doesn't really fit the stage also.

The Art for the monitors are from knuckles chaotix actually.

as for everything else you stated, It's still very much a W.I.P. for the level layouts and object positioning if anything as this was from one of my older layouts I made awhile back. as for the Pallette, I'm trying to go for that LBZ Vibe. though you art right about the pots.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  6. GT Koopa

GT Koopa Well-Known Member Member

Wanted to take a quick break from Sonic 1 doings, screwing around with Sonic 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I actually like that, reminds me of some sort of a marine.

8. Guest

So after a bit of some free time, I did some more editing with which I am happy on how this is coming out:

[​IMG]

9. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

That looks really nice! I could imagine that with the Balloon Park background.

10. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

11. Guest

literally sonic 2 adventure edition at it's fullest. seriously though, nice how you implemented a emerald radar into sonic 2 with knuckles. will it be set to where the sign post wont show up until all of them are found or do you have something else planned in mind?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  12. Jareth247

Jareth247 Well-Known Member Member

I've been dying to see something like that for ages!!! Will it just be Knuckles or will Rouge be playable, too?

13. MainMemory

This isn't Sonic 2 Adventure 2 Edition.

14. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Oh, so we can expect Big, Amy and E-102 Gamma instead? :V

15. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Guess what I did, not impressive but never done in a hack, at least that I know of.

[​IMG]

Act 1, Collision Chaos

[​IMG]

Act 2, Collision Chaos

Edit: Now that I think about it the screenshots don't really show off too well what I did, its dynamic art if people cant tell, my bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2013
  16. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Not trying to piss on your achievements or anything, but thought I'd point out that dynamic art has been done a fair amount of times and I'm sure there's a guide somewhere for it. Still, if you figured it out yourself then well done. It's nice to see people making the effort to learn how the game engine works themselves.

17. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Its cool StephenUK,, didn't know it has been done in other hacks before, and not sure if there is a guide on this, but I could be wrong on that too, and thanks for the complement. I did figure it out myself along with separating collision between acts, once again not impressive but I'm learning the engine myself so that's a plus.

18. MainMemory

[​IMG]

It actually works now!

19. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Are the emerald locations randomly plopped via a table with positions, or are the emeralds always in the same location every time? Also, fuck you for making that shit work before I could get mine to work =P

20. MainMemory

At the start of the level it searches through the object layout for suitable objects (badniks, lampposts, signpost, and emeralds) and randomly selects three.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.