General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimpZ

TimpZ Well-Known Member Member

I thought you got hit the way that was closes to the edge of the object that hurt you, i.e. if you're close to the left side of the object then it hits you left.

Either way I see nothing wrong with this boss other than it being the same boss again, just like last time and the time before that and even the time before that. You just put a hole in the middle and an extra ball. Sure it might be cheap but that hole should be a non-existant threat anyway, you just keep to one side or something.

I also don't see a problem with the lack of a chain. Robotnik got some kind of flashing apparatus on the bottom, I'm guessing that's some form of anti-gravity thing. I think it would be cool if the next boss would expand on that such that Robotnik keeps using the anti-grav-thingymajiggy for new (fresh non-checkered ball) diabolical plans.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2013
  2. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

I'll just drop these here... (ignore the little bits of corrupted object art, I'll get around to sorting that)

[​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

[​IMG]  [​IMG]

3. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Wow this work is way better than the dinky work I showed, so much detail well done.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
  4. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

I felt it had been a while since I'd shown off anything so have a few screens from my hack. It's still alive and it's coming along steadily:

[​IMG]

Knuckles running through his own waterslide path in Hydrocity Zone 2.

[​IMG]

Sonic taking a tricky platforming section over some fallen icicles in Icecap Zone 1.

[​IMG]

Sonic coming out of the rising sand section of Sandopolis Zone 2.

[​IMG]

Tails flying around the pillars and remains of Sky Sanctuary Zone.

5. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

well is my s3k hack do you think ?

comments suggestions? I'd like your feedback :)

edit:ignore avi logger glitch in the end of the video and my fail =(.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Wow, I'm actually somewhat impressed with this.

The layout is very nicely constructed, and feels very unique and different from the original. Your choice of chunks put together in places look well together, and your object placement is clean and functions well with the level. Nothing seems too overely out of place, except maybe the few places where there are far too many rings for my liking, but that's a minor thing and something easily overlooked.

I notice a few objects have had their share of alterations, such as the moving springs. Although minor, you've used them as an obstacle very cleverly. Not too fond of the palette though, but all in all, this is some very good, clean, and functional looking work.

Well done!! Keep it up, I'll be watching...

7. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I have to agree, I kinda like this, while not perfect it's definitely very well done, it's good to have a newcomer who actually knows what he's doing, for a change, nice work! I was really impressed by the moving springs (from 1:14 to 1:25 in the video), and I like the clever reuse of the CNZ tube object.

I also agree that there are way too many rings sometimes; since (from what I understand) the level is meant to be hard, there's a high chance they will be lost anyway, so my personal opinion, which might be right just like it might be wrong, is that there should be fewer rings within the same place, but there should be more places with smaller amounts of rings if you want to balance the difficulty, so the player will always be able to recover. It doesn't make much sense to have 100 rings in spot A and 100 rings in spot B, if Sonic dies between A and B. However this is a very minor suggestion.

I'm somehow scared by how much MarkeyJester and I think the exact same things about your video, I tried hard not to make a replica of his post, I tried to choose words carefully, but I ended up agreeing with him on everything :U

8. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

Dude! This hack has gone from cheap moves up the wazoo, to something that looks like it has legitimate difficulty. Color me impressed! I love all the set pieces, like the spike-platforming section, and the spikes exiting some of your tunnels. The music is the only thing I would change. It works, but not very well in my opinion. Keep it up Kevin! You'll go far at this rate! 

9. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

This is starting look a lot more solid in terms of level design and the amount of cheap shots has been reduced which is a great move towards a more skill-based game, which I'm loving.

The use of the Flying Battery Zone vertical-moving springs is quite a nice idea (one I hadn't thought of, actually) which works rather well in the context they are used in.

You palette choice is also rather nice in my opinion. Palettes are difficult to edit at the best of times but the one you currently have works quite well. It does feel a little bright at times but apart from that it's a nice alternative.

The only 2 things I'll say to try and help you improve are the following.

• There are quite a few too many rings in several spots. This is pretty much following on from what others have said but giving the player a lot of rings to compensate for a higher difficult doesn't work too well. It's obvious that the difficulty is slightly harder and it could work just as well without the additional rings, causing the player to be cautious.
    • The second point is probably something only I would notice but the chunks you've used in places don't fit right when there are others available that do the job. I know chunk 3E and 3F are used as floor to wall connectors among other things. It's probably me being a little OCD about the situation but I'd love to see this grow into a polished project, if you understand.

Please, keep up the good work. I'm eagerly awaiting future developments from this.

EDIT: Quoted due to new page.

10. Crimson Neo

You are right. and because in the past I did not know how to fix it.

so I've decided S3K original files and compare the ID of layouts,and it began to the right. and I am now giving much more attention to this.

and and thank you  much for you comment and I'm trying give my best and improve more,anyway have a nice day :D.

edit:aways

thanks also:

@markeyjester

@nineko

@epicelijahspeed

thank you all for feedback nice day for all guys.

11. fdswerty

fdswerty Well-Known Member Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEs2Vorejs

Coming soon...

12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2013
  13. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

A Developer Logo I presume? In any case looks great as always.

14. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

BTW, if that's meant to say 'purple' in romanised katakana, then it doesn't. Apart from that observation, it looks pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2013
  15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

You are correct.

The correct translation of the English word "Purple" into Japanese is "紫", then to "phonetically" translate the Japanese word "紫" into Latin gives you "Murasaki". That would be the "romanised katakana" you refer to.

However, I chose to perform a "phonetic" translation all the way, from English, to Japanese, to Latin. The word "Purple" becomes "パープル", which then becomes "Pāpuru", because naturally the Japanese language is incapable of pronouncing the word "Purple" 100% accurately.

I prefer the word "Pāpuru" over the word "Murasaki" because of its repetitiveness in latin alphabet design. In capital letters, P and R are similar, so you have (basically) P*P*P*, which is a nice pattern. Then you have the capital letters A and U, where A can be displayed with a curved top (which is acceptable by all of those who write/read in latin), which represents an upside down U with a mark in centre. So now you basically have PUPUPU, which is a nice clean pattern. It sticks in the head more, people are more likely to remember the word PAPURU than they are the word MURASAKI, because its a clean and organised setout.

You honestly didn't think I missed my homework on this, now did you?

16. BlackYoshi

BlackYoshi Active Member Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2013
  17. Crimson Neo

Hello there, I'wanted to show my palettes from my s1 hack speak what yours think.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

... the palette is good? suggestion & feedback are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2013
  18. BlackYoshi

BlackYoshi Active Member Member

great work!! for what hack is that?

19. DevEd

DevEd A lol who occasionally doge nothing Member

@Kelvin: The background in the Labyrinth Zone palette there is too bright. It should not be brighter than the foreground.

@Juan: Last time I checked, his Sonic 1 hack is called Sonic 1 Emerald Land.

20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Now those are some really good palette edits, probably the best I've seen! SYZ's especially, making the background mountain/sky use two different colours instead of one single colour with multiple grades. Very clever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.