Sonic 3K Priority manager in S1 help

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Brighty, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brighty

Brighty Newcomer Member

I recently tried porting the S3K Priority manager to S1 and I have some minor problems like for ex. The collapsing platforms in GHZ don't show the collapsing blocks when they collapse. Another example is that the caterkillers don't harm you when you touch them.

2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I don't hack Sonic 1, but my guess for the platforms is that the priority changes when they collapse (does in Sonic 2 anyway), and you've got that priority setting wrong.  As for the Caterpillar  another guess of mine is that priority has over-written another SST (because Priority is obviously a word instead of a byte now) which that over-written SST is affecting the collision to the Caterpillar.

3. Brighty

Brighty Newcomer Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2013
  4. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

I didn't look at your disassembly, but the caterkiller uses the inertia offsets for something (related to the space between parts iirc). I think its possible values are something like 0 and 40.

Anyway, if you move the inertia to $20, the caterkiller's thing that was in $14-$15(a0) is now in $20-$21 and therefore overwrites the collision response with a 0, resulting in the caterkiller being completely harmless.

So for the caterkiller, you have to use a different memory slot for what was supposed to be in "inertia". And still if I remember correctly, the caterkiller doesn't use an animation, so $1C-$1D should be free.

5. Brighty

Brighty Newcomer Member

Alright I see now. The inertia is over-writing the collision SST for the caterkiller just like RHS mentioned. I fixed this and I don't see any more problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.