Random hack/Mini project thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by DanielHall, May 24, 2010.

1. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Not bad, but like RHS, I just played through the whole GHZ, and I got bored afterwards :p

2. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

Same 'ere. Hell, I played only GHZ1, then got bored of it because I'd already seen stuff like it before =P

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  3. ValleyBell

ValleyBell Well-Known Member Member

It works fine, except Labyrinth Zone's music crashes the game.

This is a known bug. Unlike about all hacks today, I didn't use a disassembly and did everything with a hex editor.

The Ristar song is a bit larger than the Green Hill music, so I overwrote parts of the Labyrinth music. It's a proof-of-concept hack, so I didn't care about that.

4. DevEd

DevEd A lol who occasionally doge nothing Member

This is a quick hack I made that implements the "S" monitor - with a sound effect AND music! The monitor can be placed in GHZ in place of the static monitor. The only thing that doesn't work is the powerup has no time limit.

Download

5. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

I forgot what the debug code is.

6. DevEd

DevEd A lol who occasionally doge nothing Member

Enter C, C, Up, Down, Left, Right on the title screen, then hold A and press Start.

(Or you could try C, Up, C, Down, C, Left, C, Right if it suits you.)

7. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

I was bored, so don't kill me. :p

Also very hidden easter eggs...

s1hp_sp1.rar

Attached Files:

8. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I'm not sure if the ring count is supposed to do THAT o_O

Also, why did it reset itself once I cleared GHZ1?

9. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

Mwahahaha, it was supposed to mindfuck you. :p

Because the other levels weren't neccessary. I always remove unneccessary stuff from public releases of my hacks like unneeded levels and debug/etc

10. fdswerty

fdswerty Well-Known Member Member

Just got bored tonight, so I've made some efforts to put up Jman's sound driver in Sonic 1. I succeed, but I didn't finish it yet, but i'm not gonna work in it anymore, so yeah. Also, I added S3K Kick (buggy) and the Snare, plus its PSG's as a test. Also don't be scared if the LZ song sounds weird, it's due to s3k psg's.

Download

11. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

Underwater Marble Zone

This is a quick, two-act mini hack that features the first two acts of Marble Zone, only underwater, and with plenty more Caterkillers around! Break open the Goggles monitors for more air (got the idea from Electroball's LZ hack). They are one-time use monitors, so use wisely! I found them to be kind of difficult myself, but both acts can be completed. 

Known Bugs:

-Broken 'splash' graphics

-Invincibility music doesn't come back when you break a Goggles monitor after the drowning countdown music

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2013
  12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I like caterkillers.

All hail the great caterkiller...

Curious question though, what inspired you to make this?

13. TheInvisibleSun

I was experimenting with implementing water in other levels, and trying out different ways of changing the water level, and supplying air (originally, I had rings supply air, but it was a bit buggy). Then Josh's Geek Critique video mentioned a challenge to make a hack featuring water and caterkillers, so I decided to give it a shot.

14. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Lava underwater... seems legit =P

And GHZ and SYZ are too hard underwater lol

15. TheInvisibleSun

Yeah, its nigh-impossible to get around the loop in GHZ1 underwater. For MZ2, I did have to add a block to one section because the jump was impossible to make underwater.

16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

If you've seen my sig, you'll know what I've been up to recently. So I looked into it as a sort of POC (Proof of concept), and this is how it turned out:

ROM

I took the liberty of giving him double the walking/running frames, and x4 the rotational angles, it doesn't seem to do so well with Marble Zone due to the sharp change in the hills, but whatever, 1 out of 6 ain't bad.

17. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

That looks absolutely GORGEOUS. The animations are actually fluent enough now to seem as though they were meant to be like that since the beginning. I just played this and immediately got out a normal ROM after it, just so I could do the comparision. I got used to this improved style set so quickly I almost felt something was wrong with the untouched Sonic 1 when I looked at the quirky animations of Sonic there.

Really nice job, MJ! Now I'd only wish to see this being put into use for an actual hack. :V

18. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Hmmm... I like and dislike. The walking/running/rolling animations are good. But when Sonic starts to tilt, it doesn't look good. He looks... crap way of putting it but, pixelated? He just doesn't look right. Nice job either way though.

19. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Well, the situation is this, there are roughly 384 sprites to clean up, but the time required to do that could add up to hours (possibly days), given that there are many Sonic fan game engines out there that perform an algorithmetic rotation on the characters, I feel that pixel deform leftovers are perceived acceptable by a high percentage of the community, thus making my time better spent on other animations and possibly the hack/game itself.

I am willing to sacrifice something most find meaningless to get something better done, I'm sorry if I've disappointed, but if you'd like to donate some of your own person time to fix all 384 (or more) sprites while I do other things, then by all means, get in contact with me, and we'll work something out!

20. TimpZ

TimpZ Well-Known Member Member

I like it a lot, thought I think you went a bit overkill with it. For example there's a couple objects that are angled, but sonic doesn't change his angle. Then you go on what you perceive as flat ground and sonic is bobbing all over the place. It looks really nice when you go fast through loops but other than that I think 2x angles are fine. The added animation frames are really nice, but you only percieve them when running straight, otherwise the rapid angle changes and pixelation ruins the effect.

One thing I found weird though was that you removed the speedcap for some odd reason. Maybe it wasn't a clean rom or you wanted to test out higher velocities, but I just wanted to point it out.