Random hack/Mini project thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by DanielHall, May 24, 2010.

1. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I'm not going to lie, I like the additional animation frames a lot, they make everything smoother and much more pleasant to see, but I'm not a fan of the additional angles (in fact, I don't like the autorotated sprites in the fan engines, either). Call me oldschool, but I don't think Sonic should ever run in a direction which isn't one of the 8 primary ones.

I, too, noticed you removed the speed cap, and of course I like it. But that's besides the point, I guess.

2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

You darn well know my art skills are terrible, otherwise, I probably would. Love to have the chance to work on a project with you in the future.

I'm not saying what you've done is terrible or lazy. But showing this to me, even though it's a decent effort, makes me think that Sega themselves didn't add so many angles for a reason.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Ah now, you're absolutely right about that, for example, Green Hill Zone's breakable platform has bends but doesn't apply angles, and even so much as Marble Zone, having it's angles change from F8 to 08 directly causes the sprites to suddenly shudden over.

I did however, have the same problem with Pana Der Hejhog, as well as the rough pixelation and etc, but that appeared to buff out nicely due to the new level design which didn't have lumps all over the place, and objects with specific bendy solidity... Which brings me to the point as to why I'm actually doing this (this will also explain the speed cap removable as well).

I plan to build a hack on top of this, you know, new levels, objects and crap. With this in mind, I feel confident that it'll flow out nicely given a few modifications here or there, the speed cap was primarily removes so that I could pick up enough speed down a hill to see the new peelout sprites I've just recently shoved in, as you may be aware, you cannot see the peelout sprites (especially on uphill areas) unless you have greater speed.

I'll tell you what I'll do, once the new levels, functions, etc are in and the hack is in a more advanced state of completion, I'll consider cleaning up the sprites based on whether it looks any better or not by then.

4. Gardeguey

Gardeguey Well-Known Member Member

Attached Files:

5. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I really like this concept. Shame about it's slowness! When we see the objects working, and a sort-off timer for player 2 when player 1 finishes, let us know!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
  6. RocketRobz

RocketRobz Coolest of TWL, and Sonic fan Member

I was expecting the Sonic 2 stretched split screen.

7. KosmoF

KosmoF Masochistic epileptic FEMALE gamer! Member

Um, Selbi, your "rape" hack has had a few videos since you posted the above comment; for example, the following one that I posted on the 12th January 2012...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGWiRO9V_Uc

Also, Popoman100 (from YT) did a full playthrough of "Total Ownage Enoz" to show that it could be passed without needing level select to finish act 2

8. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

Welp, I'm a little late to the party, but I'll give my two cents.... which is the exact same as everyone else's two cents! The sprites look fantastic and add great flow to Sonic. My only gripe is that while Sonic's feet are spinning, he feels slower. Maybe if you speed up the sprite animation faster(?) I barely notice the motion blir, but I assume you're already workong on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013
  9. RocketRobz

There is a bug in S1SMTH:

[​IMG]

Perhaps you should put the bonus score numbers somewhere else, and use DMA transfer for Sonic's art.

10. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

I got bored earlier and decided to mess about with a standard Sonic 3 & Knuckles disassembly. As a result, I give you:

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - No Ring Challenge

[​IMG]

As the screenshot and title suggest, all rings have been removed.

All Ring monitors have been replaced with Eggman monitors.

All Big Rings have been removed.

That's it. Nothing else. I was going to throw this away but I'm sure someone would like to try it out for themselves.

(Only known issue is that the start of Lava Reef Zone Act 1 is buggy but I won't be fixing it. It's passable, though.)

S3K-NRC.rar

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013
  11. RocketRobz

12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

You're a little too late, already fixed, thanks anyway.

Also, Sonic's art for standard Sonic 1 is already DMA transfered.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2013
  13. JeffCharizardFlame

JeffCharizardFlame Escape Reality and Play Video Games Member

Man, I've been gone a long time. :p Summer went by me so fast. Anywho, I'd love to see someone do a game sound driver switch on some sonic games. I have yet another new computer and all my stuff is gone from previous hack ideas, so I am unable to do it myself.

14. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

15. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

That move pretty much breaks Aquatic Ruin!

16. fdswerty

fdswerty Well-Known Member Member

OK, here's a minihack I tried to do in one hour or so:
    Linky.
    Stuff done:

- Some songs ported
    - GHZ 1 & SS 1 layout edited.
    - GHZ boss edited
    - S3K & S2 dacs
    - GHZ palette altered
    - Spindash added

So that's it, I think I've done enough.

17. Bejitto

Bejitto Newcomer Trialist

So, uh, this is my first Sonic 1 asm hack without a guide for me, what I did was I made Sonic practically immortal (only thing that can kill him is being crushing), maybe some people will have some fun with this.

https://filetea.me/default/#t1srathw0yxT5e0HVXs66RnRg

18. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

The real fun part is watching the rings fly across the screen. As a suggestion, remove the invincibility time hen your hit, so that you can just keep getting hit and watching the rings fly.   

19. Slash

Slash Well-Known Member Member

20. TimpZ

TimpZ Well-Known Member Member

So you just commented out the part that adds rings to the ring counter or am I missing something here? Because that seems like such a small 1 line edit that it's not much to share honestly.

EDIT: Honestly I didn't try it but if this is the first time ever editing ASM and you fixed things like the monitors too then I guess I should say nice, and good luck with future edits too.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2013