General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimpZ

TimpZ Well-Known Member Member

Are you saying you did it without making a safety copy first?

Whenever I work on anything at all, I always make a backup copy. Even if it's something small. My general process whenever picking it up is:

Make a backup

work on it

put down changes in a changelog

next time I work on it I do the same thing, but if I test it successfully and there's no major changes to the code I delete the old backup in favour of the new one. I do however save backups in between "major" changes, such as if I import art, import some new objects, add an ability etc. This way, if I find a bug later on I can track down in what version it ocurred and thus track down the faulty code fairly easily.

2. Solar

Solar What? Member

A few days of struggling, and here.
    Green Park Zone 
    [​IMG]
    Waiting for critics :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  3. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

this is awesome, you have a great talent keep it!

4. TimpZ

I love how you make complex patterns out of few tiles. The only thing I'm missing is a bit of that extra detail, you know, shrubbery, things in the walls and how you'll handle something like a loop or slope as I myself find designing a slope after being happy with wall/ground patterns really hard.

Btw did you make the bush background yourself? I don't recognise it immediately but it looks great (albeit the colours blend a bit too much with the green in the foreground)!

5. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

The bush is a part of the original SYZ.

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I looks wonderful, there is nothing more to it. Even with SYZ's original background, the colours you've chosen are nice to look at.

7. Samario

Samario Newcomer Trialist

this is the right topic this time, right?

[​IMG]

(n.b. this is an ingame screenshot, the previous was a mockup)

8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

[​IMG]

How do we feel about this?

9. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

That's brilliant. Such a simple idea, yet nobody thought about it (afaik), and it can be extremely useful.

10. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

I assume you'll make use of the open space next to the palette window? If not,something like RGB sliders there would save the extra step of double-clicking the color to change it like in MSPaint. Other than that, looks like a tool I would love to have had months ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
  11. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

A separate project I've been working on.

[​IMG]

12. Jareth247

Jareth247 Well-Known Member Member

Still feels inorganic. Like her art style clashes with her surroundings.

Deets? I love Sonic and love Decap Attack so I just gotta know more.

13. Moryo

Moryo Video Games. Member

You honestly really shouldn't jam final fantasy sprites in sonic. You even made the sprite look somehow worse. Sorry if I'm being mean or harsh, but it looks like you need to work on your spriting a bit because final fantasy has an open world overhead view so unless you make major edits it will look wrong. For example in your picture it looks as though the camera wants to be up higher looking down on her instead of her stance being more in the middle of the screen on the screen. There is also the issue of her standing straight instead of on the side or even better to fit sonic's style she should be facing kind of in between the side and center to show mostly one side of the face and a tiny bit of the other side and maybe the other arm. Finally there is the issue that many others have pointed out. The final fantasy style does not fit with Sonic the Hedgehog so you may need to find a sprite of sonic and heavily heavily edit it to both still look like her and also make it fit in with sonic. Note that final fantasy went for a realistic skinny style while sonic is very bright, cartoony and bulky.

14. TimpZ

MJ - I personally just use ms paint for 90% of my sprite edits seeing as how I never really learnt photoshop properly. But if you made a dedicated art program, with palette functionality similar to SonED (where you can edit the palette and the colours that used that palette shift accordingly), where you can make several grids (pixels, 8*8, 16*16, 32*32) and also export files that are easily importable into SonMapED, SonLVL or SonED, I would love you forever! (EDIT: Oh and a function to import/export V/CRAM bin files!)

StoneBanana - I like the sprite, it has a nice cartoon feel and alright shadowing. But it clashes with the rest of the art.

Samario - The palette of the Genesis uses 512 colours. The palette of the SNES uses 65536 colours. When you import a sprite from SNES to the Genesis, you're almost guaranteed to loose a lot of the colours, and that's what it looks like happened here. You get big blobs of colours that don't fit the sprite at all. You need to take the original sprite and recolour it yourself in order to make it look good. Also like Moryo said, I doubt you could make the sprite look nice in Green Hill. I'm not saying you shouldn't if that's what you want but it certainly doesn't fit and unless you really intend to run around with that sprite in Green Hill, why show a picture of it in there? Just show the sprite or show it in a new background where you intend it to fit in.

15. nineko

[​IMG]

If some people could shove 8 random characters (not counting Mario and Luigi since they're the only two which belong there for real) into Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, there's nothing wrong with him experimenting with something from Final Fantasy. I'm not saying that I like it, and I'm not saying that it's going to work. In fact, I don't like it and I can't see how it can possibly work. But still, it's all good practice, and for one it's definitely better than what I can do.

Also whoever took that screenshot of Mushroom Kingdom Fusion should be shot because it's a JPG but it's the first one I found.

16. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

Here's the thing Ninko, all those characters retain there move sets and iconic traits. Samario has shown nothing beyond a basic sprite swap. We don't know if there will be anything past that. If he showed more, we may be able to be more accepting it this change. But when we see nothing but a sprite change (and a non - fitting one at that) we get very skeptical.

17. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Actually, mine main argument against this is that having a FF character in a Sonic game doesn't make sense. You could site MKF as an example against my argument, but in all actuality, it supports it. Why? All the characters in there are from games that are known to be platformers. So, even though they are in different games areas, the levels these mix mash of characters play in work, as they all have similar ideology.

With Samario, I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing this, at the same token however, it doesn't really work stylistically and ideologically. Putting an RPG character into a platformers is like putting beef in a Hindu man's sandwich. It doesn't work, nor make sense. Even though you may inevitably fix her sprites and make it look nice, there will always be that tinge of "da fuck am I looking at?"

18. TimpZ

SuperEgg, you don't know what he has in mind with this. Is he doing it simply for practise purposes? Is he going to implement RPG elements? Is he going to completely revamp the game to become a FF clone only using the S2 engine as a base for displaying sprites and whatnot?

Based on his previous posts he is making some form of platformer, but it's in it's infant stages and all he have really done is imported the sprites of a FF character, successfully at that. He posted a picture of it probably asking for input on how it looks and not if it made sense or not. Tell him the colours are wrong, the sprite is messy, the aspect looks weird in a pure 2D environment or whatever, but I don't think sensibility have any relevance.

19. nineko

I actually agree with all of you. As I said, I disagree with his idea as well. What I'm saying is, he's a rare example of a newcomer who actually does something, a sprite swap might seem simple to experienced hackers but it's not something anyone can do (especially because he's drawing his own sprites, another skill which isn't that common), so it's very good to see someone experimenting with it. I don't care if he replaces Sonic with the L-block from Tetris, or Robotnik with the dog from Duck Hunt, as long as he gains knowledge it's still something good, there will always be time to put that new knowledge and those new skills to good use. And hey, "[character] in Sonic 1" hacks might also be hilarious, MainMemory's Chip McCallahan in Sonic the Hedgehog is a prime example of that.

20. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

I love the negativity in the Sonic scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.