[Save states] Sonic 3 & Knuckles Title screen/Data select screen in Sonic & Knuckles

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by DevEd, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DevEd

DevEd A lol who occasionally doge nothing Member

Copypasta from Sonic Games Dimension:

Kn0p3XX says these will also work in S1K and S2K as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
  2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Some of the title screen data (such as music, the "& Knuckles" logo, etc) are on the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge, that of which exists in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Knuckles in Sonic 2, and Blue Spheres Challenge. They all get that data from the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge. The Sonic 3 specific data (The rest of the title screen) is already loaded to RAM, VRAM, CRAM, VSRAM, the Z80's RAM space, and any other data that I may have missed. These were all saved away on the savestate, and then reloaded back out into RAM, VRAM, CRA... etc, upon loading it with Knuckles in Sonic 2, and Blue Spheres Challenge. They still function because the program in the ROM is the same, and in the same place (in the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge area).

I congratulate you on your discovery, however, I'm trying to understand the relevance to anything that this has. What point are you trying to make?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
  3. DevEd

Well, it seems MarkeyJester here wants to know my motives, so here we go I guess...

I just did this for fun. I don't plan on doing anything else with this, for several reasons, but the main reason is: I'm still learning how to hack Sonic 1. If I attempted to hack S3K, the results would be disastrous.

That is all.

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Oh, OK, fair enough... On subject, given how similar beta builds are to final builds are (Sonic 2 specifically), I wonder how well you could function different savestates between builds without them effectively breaking too much, or effectively crashing.

5. DevEd

OK, this technically ISN'T a bump, since this was the last thread in Discussion/Q&A that was posted in, but here I go anyway:

If I were to try my savestates on other builds of S3/S3K or S3 Complete, chances are that the game would crash and/or stop working, due to the data being shifted around in other builds and in the final version.

6. RocketRobz

RocketRobz Coolest of TWL, and Sonic fan Member

7. EditChris

EditChris STH:DB - Someday... Member

Wow...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.