really simple hacking tool?

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by EmeraldCrafted, Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmeraldCrafted

EmeraldCrafted Newcomer Trialist

I am wanting to make a hack called Sonic's Amnesia, but there's one problem: I can't hack. It will just give me a blank screen when I try. Can anyone make a tool that you can make your own graphics, levels, sprites (or just use the original), controls, and a few things to make it kinda like the Lego Harry Potter Wii minigame builder? That would be great.

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

3. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

SonED2, SonMapEd
    SonED2, SonLVL
    pbrush.exe + RotSprite + SonMapEd
    notepad.exe + knowledge of 68000 ASM
    No.

(before anyone asks: pbrush.exe and notepad.exe are obviously sarcasm)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  4. EmeraldCrafted

EmeraldCrafted Newcomer Trialist

A tool that allows you to do something like making your attacks have different levels of damage on enemies by clicking a tab, pull up the enemy, type in how much damage a enemy can take, and type in how much damage a enemy takes when you attack it with a certain weapon and stuff like that.

5. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    You're an idiot.

6. nineko

Wow, this is the second time I agree with SuperEgg in the past 3½ hours.

7. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    It's cause you love me, you creepy cat man you.

8. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Yeah, um dude figure this out yourself, we don't do other peoples work or ideas for them, and also I never agree with SuperEgg, but this time he cracked me up. Well done dude, haha,

Edit: We could help you a long the way but we will not do the entire thing, if you have questions there is a basic question and answers thread that you can post in. Also Admins and Staff I apologize if this edit to my post was backseat modding, just wanted to make that clear to him.

9. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

Where's the fun in a "do it all for me" program? But seriously, what you're asking for does not exist. There are several tools to help you do the things you asked (level design-SonED or SonLvl, graphics-SonmapED) but you need to have an idea of what you want to do for any tool to be used properly. As for controls and other stuff that require ASM knowledge, that will require you to know ASM. You can't just click twice and bam, what you want to be done will be done. Also:

Let us know when you've created that, because nothing even close to what you're describing exists. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to even make something like that for a variety of reasons. 

10. RocketRobz

RocketRobz Coolest of TWL, and Sonic fan Member

If you wan't sonic to go faster, it's simple. (For Sonic 1) Just change the $600 in below:

Obj01_Main:
            move.w    #$600,($FFFFF760).w ; Sonic's top speed

to a higher number.

11. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

Come on, why is it cool to be a jerk around here now? We're just going to chase away anyone before they have a chance to learn or improve.  

12. Devon

Devon A̸ ̴S̴ ̵C̵ ̷E̶ ̸N̸ ̴D̶ ̵E̶ ̸D̶ Member

There is no such tool. Seriously, why would there be a tool for that? These tools for hacking are meant for editing simple things like graphics, layouts, sound, etc. There is no ASM/Hex generator for attacks and damage or whatever.

If you want all that new attacking and damaging of enemies, then you will need to learn 68000 Assembly, get the proper tools (mostly what nineko listed above, he said that pbrush.exe and notepad.exe are just for sarcasm. I suggest Notepad++ with the 68000 Assembly highlighting and you can use whatever paint program available.) and actually code it yourself. If you would need help, then ask about things you may be confused on about your code here in thee forums, but if they are just small simple questions, ask them in the Basic Answer and Questions thread. Make sure it doesn't say "do my code for me" or anything the seems like it. You can look at some of the guides here and on Sonic Retro, so you can see how things work in assembly. Also, you can check out the links that MarkeyJester listed above.

If you are using hex, then I HIGHLY suggest you quit and get a disassembly and begin from there, it's much easier to understand and edit. If you get the Sonic 1 Hivebrain disassembly (please, if you get this, get the ASM68k version or the AS version, they are faster at assembling than the original does.) or the Sonic 2 Xenowhirl Disassembly, then go here for some ROMs (for Sonic 1, rename the bin file to s1.bin, for Sonic 2, rename the bin file to s2.bin, or else it won't split the rom, as the program detects these file names.)

Also, rika_chou, I have no idea. I also believe that newbies looking for help should get their help. I believe that he didn't know that such a tool didn't exist. Now that we gave him his answer, he may know what he has to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  13. Oerg866

Oerg866 Well-Known Member Member

*shakes head and walks away*

Edit: Clearly some people here have no problem to upvote an idiot telling another idiot that he's an idiot, but their double standards somehow makes them downvote my much less foul post.

Well in that case, if it's OK: You're an idiot. 

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  14. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

You take the rep system too seriously...

Also, I don't see where this thread is going... It certainly isn't a positive one. Couldn't we just trash it and start a fresh?

15. nineko

I don't think this should be trashed, but I agree that this is derailing towards a bad, off-topic direction, so a lock is due. Further, less-generic questions can be addressed in other topics, but I recommend TehDreamcastKid to get his hands dirty before asking something again. Good hacks don't come from magic tools, good hacks come from hard work and patience. Tools can give you a hand, but miracles aren't fun, other than impossible.

16. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Unfortunately after suffering from idiots like ThomasSpeedrunner no wonder people are being like this. People need to do their research and not ask people to do everything for them.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.