The LightDash in Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Ashuro, Oct 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

Hi!
    I'm french, sorry for my bad english...

I'm working on a Sonic 1 disassembly. I put into the hack a Spindash, a Jumpdash...
    And finally i want to put a LightDash (and the "Rush" action of Sonic Rush/Unleashed/Generations).

If you have any code (the june 2005 version disassembly), i'll give you $2 (1,50€) Paypal.

Thank You!!

2. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

What? I really read that?

3. Kaz

Kaz Well-Known Member Member

How about you go learn 68000 instead, that's more friendlier than anything!

4. DumbLemon

DumbLemon am back Member

Why would you want to pay for code? As Kazzie said, You should just go learn 68k instead of asking for code. I highly suggest using MarkeyJester's guide.

5. Guest

sorry but things such as this don't just come and go like that, and paying someone to do this would'nt help either. it would just further promote laziness unless otherwise if someone on here is desperate for some money then ok, but as far as I can see, thats not the case. pretty much what kaz said, just learn some asm. it's not hard.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  6. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

Well, as they say...

[​IMG]

Okay, I've had my fun. =P

Now then, Ashuro, the Light Dash is a complicated move which requires a lot of effort and some modifications to the game. I would suggest you start with smaller things such as changing Sonic's speed or making a Motobug move faster or something simple like that. Then, when you're ready, you can start experimenting with larger, more complex chunks of code, including making a badnik behave differently or giving Sonic a cool new move.

Also, don't rely completely on guides. Experimentation is the key to success in this field. Available to learn from are the 68k user manual, Redhotsonic's guide on working with 68k, and some other things I probably missed.

There's also SonED2, SonLVL, SonMapED, and several other tools to help you edit many different aspects of a game...though in the end, the code of the game is the main aspect, and some effort has to be put in regardless.

Happy hacking!

7. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Money definitely doesn't. I remember there was a member a while back who tried to get his stuff done for money, and hardly anyone did it.

8. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Ashuro, I understand your pain. Despite all the millions of things I want to do with my hack, I am often limited by my knowledge of the disassemblies, the game itself, and how both of those things operate and cooperate with each other. However, I didn't get forward by asking for everything I wanted. I worked at it as hard as I could, figured things out based on label names, comments, and the documents and wiki pages I could find that were made by people who were way smarter then me. If I really wanted to add a light speed dash, I'd probably start with the jumpdash code and start making modifications from that, but that's just me. To sum everyone up, do it yourself. If you can't figure it out (and don't be afraid to take your time).

9. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

2 bucks? lol. The time required to make something like this happen, even with the knowledge would be at least half an hour. So unless you're getting paid child slave labour rates...

In all seriousness, just do it yourself. Learn how it works, do it yourself. It's really not THAT impossible.

10. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

I actually remember a certain user who paid me a hefty sum of money for some arbitrary 68k code about three years ago. In total I got about 50€ from him, and he went as far and offered me 500€ for a fully implemented scoreboard (which I never did). Nowadays I feel bad for having done that. What I have coded was not worth any money, let alone 50 bucks.

Don't make money a factor of Sonic hacking. Not only is it in an extremely gray area, it's also incredibly questionable for the overall ethics.

EDIT: Correction, it was actually (exactly) 91.87€. God damn, I feel like a dick now.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
  11. Devon

Devon A̸ ̴S̴ ̵C̵ ̷E̶ ̸N̸ ̴D̶ ̵E̶ ̸D̶ Member

No, you're not paying me for any sort of code. And yeah, you get the point.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
  12. Ashuro

Ok ok...

Thank you, but...

SonED2 and SonMapEd are very useful, and this is not the problem, i've put some animations in my hack, the Selbi's Jumpdash code, the spindash...

I just want to learn about ASM codes, but it's too hard to understand. 

I've a last question:

How can i put a sound into an "Run animation"?

I want to make a "Sonic Boom", when Sonic goes to his max speed, the animation perform the sonic boom like an fighter plane, and i want the "BOOM" sound, but when i try to put it, the game freeze or the sound can be audible all the time, and don't be played just when the boom's animation is perform.

this is the code i've try to put:
    -----------

loc_13A9C:

lea (SonAni_4thRun).l,a1

cmpi.w #$F00,d2 ; is Sonic at super speed?

bcc.s loc_13AB4 ; if yes, branch

lea (SonAni_Boom).l,a1

move.b #$CB,d0 ; set boom sound

jsr (PlaySound_Special).l ; play boom sound

cmpi.w #$EAA,d2 ; use Boom animation

lea (SonAni_3rdRun).l,a1

cmpi.w #$900,d2 ; use 3rdRun animation

lea (SonAni_Run).l,a1 ; use running animation

cmpi.w #$500,d2 ; is Sonic at running speed?

lea (SonAni_Walk).l,a1 ; use walking animation

---------------
    I know how about this code sucks...

help me just for that.

13. ThomasThePencil

Here's a quick little fix for ya. Replace that code with the following:

loc_13A9C:
    lea (SonAni_4thRun).l,a1
    cmpi.w #$F00,d2 ; is Sonic at super speed?
    lea (SonAni_Boom).l,a1
    cmpi.w #$EAA,d2 ; use Boom animation
    bcc.s loc_13A9E ; if yes, branch ; <--- changed to point to our new label
    lea (SonAni_3rdRun).l,a1
    cmpi.w #$900,d2 ; use 3rdRun animation
    lea (SonAni_Run).l,a1 ; use running animation
    cmpi.w #$500,d2 ; is Sonic at running speed?
    lea (SonAni_Walk).l,a1 ; use walking animation
    bra.w loc_13AB4 ; branch ; <--- added to make sure the routine doesn't go straight to our new block of code

loc_13A9E: ; <---
    move.b #$CB,d0 ; set boom sound ; <--- these two were moved
    jsr (PlaySound_Special).l ; play boom sound ; <--- to below our new label
    That should work. The problem was that it always set the sound, yet you only wanted it to play when the Boom animation was playing, so I added an extra label and changed/added a couple lines as marked.

14. Ashuro

THANK

YOU

VERY

MUCH!

That work!!

But when the "boom sound" is playing, the "boom animation" change to the "stop animation"...

I've try to fix the problem but nothing was fixed.

What about that?

15. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Learn how the game works. Seriously. I really wish people would just stop 'giving' code away like this. It teaches absolutely nothing and enables the worse kind of lazy behaviour.

16. Ashuro

I'm not lazy, i want to learn seriously, but the 68k tutorial is too hard...

17. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Like I said previously, take your time. Learn to understand it slowly, by examining guides, reading up on things, and asking more basic questions, like "What does thisline of code do?". Here's a very basic, easy to follow guide made by Redhotsonic (link). That guide got me started, as for a time i was in a similar rut, too.

18. ThomasThePencil

Tacking onto what Pacguy said, it's also good to try experimenting. Don't be afraid to mess around with the code, because if you don't...well, at the end of the day, you don't really learn anything. Like I said previously, start with basic things like changing Sonic's speed or making him jump higher. Examine the routines and figure out the general major points. I'd explain more, but I just got home from school and I really don't have the energy to explain in further detail.

Now then, that aside:

...you know, in all fairness, I'm being generous by even giving a fix in the first place, let alone explaining what it does. I could just say, "No, go figure it out on your own, and don't bother trying to ask for help, because fuck trying to be helpful, or god forbid actually teaching something" and have that be the end of it, but I don't do that because doing so would make me come off as a dick, which is anything but what I'm going for. First impressions are important.

Also, if marking what has been changed and giving a simple explanation of what importance it has is still considered giving away code, then why haven't you shot down the idea of guides? Because that's fundamentally the same exact thing as what I did: "giving away" code. I marked which lines I changed/added and gave them extra comments to explain what I did in a few words/phrases. Now, I probably could've gone into more detail, and that's a fair point, but I've seen people just give away code without breaking it down in an educational matter, something which I do think should be frowned upon, as it ultimately teaches nothing and, as you said, does promote laziness. If one wants to give away code for the benefit of another, s/he should break the code down into smaller parts and explain in brief what each part does, otherwise it's just as bad as not even giving advice, let alone a fix, at all.

All that said, I'm gonna shut up here so I don't end up going off on a ten-page tangent about this.

This is all just my two cents, so everything I said in the above post is moreso my personal take on the subject at hand and may or may not reflect someone else's opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
  19. The Ninja

The Ninja Newcomer In Limbo

Recommend that you don't put light dash when you have spin dash

20. Ashuro

I'll don't put the Light Dash...

Now i just want to end my "boom" animation.

Thank you all so much for your helps, i'm gonna learn and fix it alone.

The last problem is the animation when the "boom" sound is running, Sonic goes to his "wait" animation. I want to make Sonic running to "boom" animation and not "wait" animation.

In my case, this way is very hard to do. 

I'm pretty sure that this is a BIG little thing i have to change, but this is a GIANT PROBLEM for me.

Thank you all very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.