SSSSSS

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Selbi, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

I haven't done anything hacking-related in over one year (the last time being on the same day I released the final version of my old main project, 11th January 2014)). Just to get into the business again and enjoy the unknown, I've decided to crack up a little something on Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which I've never worked with before.

VVVVVV (pronounced as "The letter V six times") is an indie platformer, that, instead of conventional jumping, requires the player to reverse gravity when they're standing on the ground to navigate through the levels. S3K's debug mode has such a feature already implemented, so it was just a matter of changing a few other things to make it feel more like the original game (things like capping gravity, removing HUD, etc).

The game is largely unplayable, as most of the worlds were not intended to have this feature, and S3K is a nightmare to plow through. For that reason, a checkpoint feature was included, which lets you place a hidden checkpoint flag you can manually teleport to at any time. I could probably fix the game to make it properly playable without that, but as the tiny project it is that's all I'm willing to do (and, once again, S3K's disassembly is a jungle).

Play on Death Egg Zone or Flying Battery Zone (or really any stage in a closed space) to get the best experience!

(Quick thanks goes to Varion for sharing a few things to know about S3K.)

[​IMG]

Download SSSSSS

Controls

• C: Reverse gravity (while standing on ground)
    • B: Make a checkpoint to teleport to when you take damage (if none is set, you die)
    • A: Teleport to set checkpoint manually

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
  2. Chaotix

Chaotix Bad at Team Fortress 2 Member

Really nice proof of concept/hack there! Only one problem, the gravity features don't work with Tails, which I accidentally got into.

[​IMG]

Still, VVVVVV is one of my favourite indie games ever (I should play it again sometime), really like this hack!

3. Stardust

Stardust [screams in cat] Member

Holy shit, this is fun. G needs to play this. :p

4. HackGame

HackGame The ROM Hacker Member

Uh.. I completed Angel Island Zone - Act 1?!

EDIT: It may be impossible to beat it, but it's possible to go at the end!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  5. Jareth247

Jareth247 Well-Known Member Member

I figured that if there was a Sonic hack inspired by VVVVVV (whose title reflects the spikes used as a common hazard in the game), then it'd be a precision-based platformer, filled with spikes and badniks with as few rings as possible.

Also unless you plan on redoing the level layouts the gravity swapping mechanic is really just a game breaker in the bulk of the game's levels.

Also, there's a mobile game called Gravity Guy, and it's a endless runner where instead of jumping you switch gravity. Maybe someone should try to make a freerunner-style game in the Sonic engine.

6. Jaypin

Jaypin Leader Of The Sapphire Squad Member

I've Tried this hack out, I think the few things I find interesting in this challenge was:

1. Instead of jumping, you just use reverse gravity.

2. There is a checkpoint feature where you can add anywhere you want.

3. No Hud, so it's like your freeroming the level without game over.

When you said Indie Platformer it reminds me of a game i've played within the past, but i can't remember what it  was called.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.