General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

[​IMG]

Title Screen that I've been working on with MarkeyJester. There's more to this but I'll be showing it off once something else is in the game.

2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Looks good, but can't help but feel that Sonic should be a bit bigger. Only a liitle, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  3. N30member

N30member non-pro user btw Member

IMO, Tails and Knuckles don't fit the screen. Also, white color behind Sonic doesn't fit too. But well done anyway.

P.S. btw, did someone recognize a Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer?

4. Solar

Solar What? Member

Nya :3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

That, is impressive. I do enjoy seeing your work.

6. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

I swear those rock textures don't look like retro graphics; they just look like a decent texture you'd see in an FPS or another 3D game. That is really, really impressive! The more I look at those pictures, the less bad things I see! Keep it up!

7. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

Looks much megaman X3. But that is awesome well done art.

8. Guest

@Spanner: Nice Looking title screen there, But I can't seem to help but to say that something about knuckles on there looks a bit off to me. It's like as if the sprite for him looks to pixelated aside from the rest. for the most part, it still looks good though.

@solar: liking how that stage art looks. reminds me of storm eagle's stage from megaman x along with one of the area's from megaman zx. is the bg custom animated by any chance?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  9. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

Thanks you all. And no, it's not a part of Painto Edition 2. Is just a mini-hack of Sonic 1, but with GHZ on fire. Anyway, take the video. Music is placeholder, but in the final version (which I'm going to release seeing as people want it) will use LuigiXHero's SMPS of "GHZ Bad Future" (I forgot who made this remix though :<), but I'm waiting when he finishes converting it.

Still trying to work out the bugs. Richter is loaded, Art, Map, DPLC & Anim, but him being alongside Sonic, Richter is somewhat overlaping Sonic.

now it's less crash prone

10. Roxurface

Roxurface Well-Known Member Member

Dude, we used almost the exact same music for our hacks. You LZ replacement I used for SY, and our SL, SB, and Boss music are exactly the same.  Like you, I too am using it as placeholders for music of my choice.  If only I could figure out in the slightest bit how to make SMPS music :p I can't even figure out how to port midi's to save my life.

11. Sonic master

Sonic master Well-Known Member Member

I have been doing some more work on Retro Graphics Toolkit recently. I have decided to add support for Lua scripting allowing more much greater flexibility in what Retro Graphics Toolkit can do.
    [​IMG]
    This image may look a bit boring as it is just a simple mandelbrot however the interesting aspect of this was that it was generated by simply running a Lua script and then reducing the truecolor image to a palette (what you see here). Even better the program to do it was only 73 lines including mandelbrot code and I could make it even shorter see https://github.com/ComputerNerd/Retro-Graphics-Toolkit/blob/master/luaExamples/mandelbrotToTilemap.lua
    I think this will make Retro Graphics Toolkit more flexible for example one big advantage being making custom file formats very easy to use.

12. DumbLemon

DumbLemon am back Member

Dude, we used almost the exact same music for our hacks. You LZ replacement I used for SY, and our SL, SB, and Boss music are exactly the same.  Like you, I too am using it as placeholders for music of my choice.  If only I could figure out in the slightest bit how to make SMPS music :p I can't even figure out how to port midi's to save my life.

Coincidentally I learnt how to port midi to SMPS right after I posted the video.  Here is a early version VGM of a midi to SMPS port I made. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zmfldbjzz25hjt/Valley.vgm?dl=0. It is a bit loud (When it is in S1, Not when it is a VGM.) and the instruments are going to be changed a bit but it's a start at least. Not sure what I am going to use this SMPS for though.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  13. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Dude, we used almost the exact same music for our hacks. You LZ replacement I used for SY, and our SL, SB, and Boss music are exactly the same. Like you, I too am using it as placeholders for music of my choice. If only I could figure out in the slightest bit how to make SMPS music :p I can't even figure out how to port midi's to save my life.
    This is something that has been bothering me for a while with various hacks, so i'm going to come right out and ask, what is the obsession with "placeholders"? If it was a fresh game from the ground up then fine, placeholders make sense to give the game music while you work on the proper tracks. In the case of Sonic hacks, the game already has music, so why do you need to change it if you're just going to change it again later? It just seems redundant.

Same applies to art. Why make an effort of putting in art you ultimately have no intention of using? That wasted time would be better spend working on the creation of the appropriate art instead. A hack is a work in progress, does it matter if the zone has a blank background for example? Over the years I've seen people ask for opinions on art, only to later say it was a placeholder. Why even ask for opinions or even show it off at all if the finished article will be nothing like what you show off?

So yeah, if anyone can explain this fascination with placeholders I'd be very interested in hearing it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  14. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

I can only echo your words. Back when I made my noob-tastic Game Maker game, all objects used their collision masks for art, and for music, I just used a recording of static for Hello World purposes. Those were eventually replaced with finalised parts. But even with my main hack that's happened: my first zone used MTZ's theme for the longest time, and when it came to being replaced, it was replaced with the intended music.

Why are such placeholders used? Do the authors just slack off and do the easiest thing to make their hack different from stock? Seriously, not to be insulting, but the only reason I can think of is laziness.

15. Roxurface

Roxurface Well-Known Member Member

My excuse is that I was originally going to stick with using the SoniNeko pack, until I realized it was noob-y and overused and that I would use my own music.  From there it's exactly as you point out, why go through the trouble of changing it?  Except the tracks have already been changed once. 

On the topic of art, I totally agree with you.  Leave art unedited unless you are going to, you know, edit it.

16. DumbLemon

DumbLemon am back Member

My reason is similar to Roxurface's. I originally thought SMPS was the hardest thing in the world so I did not bother with it and used SoniNeko pack. Now that I know how to mid 2 SMPS they are placeholders or at least old stuff that has not been changed. Same about the art. What is the point of inserting art you don't want to use? It wastes time.

EDIT: Grammar fixes. 

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2014
  17. AkumaYin

AkumaYin Well-Known Member Exiled

Roxurface,

There are several guides here about porting MIDI files, so I'd recommend checking out the Tutorials subforum; there are a few good things there (nineko's guide in particular).

I can even give you a few tips via PM if you like.

===============

Well, looks like I'm not likely to get away with posting here without showing some of my own work. =P

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is just a little bit of sprite work I've been doing in this hack I'm working on. No, I didn't steal anything from Sonic Thrash, I got the sprites from the Mod.Gen archive. I plan to implement Mighty as a second playable character using a similar sheet from the same place.

(SLZ because GHZ is messy at the moment.)

18. Stardust

Stardust [screams in cat] Member

Damn it Xeta, you stole my idea lol , but seriously, awesome work bro.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2014
  19. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

I can show this now since everything is done. I asked MarkeyJester if he could make a title screen, provided a mockup and after some changes and additions the end result was this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ham_QS0WIac

Also this will have a completely custom soundtrack as listening to the same old tracks over and over again have become tiring. Here's the title screen.

20. AkumaYin

AkumaYin Well-Known Member Exiled

@Hedgefox: I'm not the first one to implement Mighty (looks at Sonic Gaiden, Sonic AGX...). Actually, I've had this idea for a long time now (ever since early on this year?), but it was slightly different, and recently I've re-imagined the hack. Nevertheless, I'm glad you like the sprite work I've been doing.

@Spanner: AWESOME title screen, though Knuckles does look somewhat pixelated. Looking forward to seeing how your hack turns out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.