Sonic the Hedgehog-Chaos Control (Demo release)

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by TheFieldWarrior, Oct 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheFieldWarrior

TheFieldWarrior Warrior of the Fields Member

Hello everyone, here is a demo of my first ASM hack ever: "Sonic the Hedgehog-Chaos Control". This demo only contains Grassy Plains Zone.

The Story:

Dr Eggman has been traveling around Sonic's world for months collecting the Chaos Emeralds without the blue blur even knowing, one month after collecting the final emerald he travels to the Paradise Island where he plans to use Chaos Control to turn it into a barren wasteland and create a factory on top of it to channel the emerald's power into his Doomsday Machine and spread chaos energy across the world. With all 7 emeralds in hand Eggman performs Chaos Control, he manages to cause some areas of the island to become barren wastelands like he had planed however due to his inexperience of using the emerald's power he causes 6 of the 7 emeralds to disappear into parallel dimensions while the 7th ends up being teleported into the hands of Sonic.

After grasping this emerald Sonic begins to use it's power to not only gain the ability to sense Chaos energy but he also gains his modern move set back. After gaining these powers Sonic sets off to the Paradise Island to stop Eggman once again.

Features of the hack:

New level layouts
    Small sprite edits (basically adding small details to Sonic's sprite set)
    Unused Animations restored
    New level chunks
    Dynamic palletes
    Different music for each act (except act 4, that's something to fix later)
    "New" moves

I know this hack will not wow anybody especially considering the fact that I made this hack with Vladikcomper's S1 Hacking Studio but after seeing so many bad S1HS hacks on YouTube I pushed myself to not only make decent level designs but to also make changes in the disassembly to gain some ASM knowledge and produce a good quality hack. 

Screenshots:

6-Another Grassy Plains Act 1.png 7-Another Grassy Plains Act 2.png 8-Another Grassy Plains Act 3.png 9-Another Grassy Plains Act 4.png

Sonic's moves:

Spin Dash: Hold down and press any jump button to rev up, release down to blast away

Homing Attack/Air Dash: Press B after jumping, if you hit an enemy/monitor with a homing attack you can press B again to air dash (or any of the other double jump buttons)

Double Jump: Press C after jumping

Uncurled Air Dash (AKA Chaos Burst): Press A after jumping, this air dash goes slightly faster than the curled version

Credits:

PsychoSk8r for his guide on adding Dynamic Palletes
    Robot Echidna for his guide on adding a 4th act in each zone
    Quickman for his guide on restoring the "Press Start Button" text
    MarkeyJester and ProjectFM for their guides on improving the Fade in/Fade out Subroutines
    jman2050 for his guide on porting the REV01 Background effects
    Selbi for his guide on adding a Jump Dash (which was slightly modified to create Chaos Burst)
    MainMemory for his level editor SonLVL
    Vladikcomper for his S1 Hacking Studio pack
    Nineko for that one Outrun song from the SoniNeko Music Pack (and that's the only song I am going to use from this music pack)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lky67d7jm35jk9b/Sonic_Chaos_Control-Grassy_Plains_Zone_Demo.zip

I look forward to your opinions on this hack.

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2015
  2. AbyssalLeopard

AbyssalLeopard Well-Known Member Member

I tried this little thing out. I've got to say that both the palettes (even though they're not perfect) and the layouts themselves are not bad. Not bad at all. I didn't see any irritating pitfalls, nor any dick move or mismatching chunks.

Though, what is this thing about the double jump and the homing attack? Your hack has only got this just for the hell of it. There is no route you can only reach using X move, not to mention that those moves mentioned before are overused.

However, I gotta say that I'm impressed so far. Your hack is going really well. I'm looking forward to another demo soon!

3. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

I thought I'd try this out, so here's some critique:

1. In the very beginning of act 1, if you spindash backwards into the rock with the spring, you die.
    2. The first act flowed very nicely, and had some very nice use of certain chunks in unique ways. I'm impressed. There are some minor issues where chunks don't quite look right together, you might want to scrutinize the layout and fix them.
    3. Act 2s music is nice, but way too loud
    4. Act 3 was fun and nice. Just look out for mismatched chunks and a few flow stoppers, like random rocks.
    Overall, this was really nice. I had trouble finding issues in it. The hacking scene needs more layout minded people like you. I'd suggest getting your hands on a disassembly and a copy of Sonlvl and getting to work. Most of the features in your hack can be easily added in by a guide, or a slight modification of one. I look forward to future work from you.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2015
  4. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

Finally something new to play. I will check it out and will maybe do a record of it. :)

5. TheFieldWarrior

thanks for your feedback AbyssalLeopard, I'll be getting to work on Ancient Castle Zone soon. I am looking forward to your recording SonicBurst, hope you have fun. Now in regards to Pacguy's critique:

​1. I didn't even notice that, thanks for pointing that dude, that spring is supposed to be behind the rock but something weird was going on when I was editing the levels, it must be due to the art change.

2. Thank you, the one problem I noticed with other level layout hacks (and my own in the past) was that there was a lack of flow in the first zone, those particular chunks you might be referring to are my custom chunks (such as the one at the end of act 1 with the unused totem poles), I'll admit they were made for the sake of extending the chunk list but I will fix them up in the future.

3. That Outrun song is pretty loud, it came straight from the SoniNeko Music Pack. I need to find out how to lower the volume.

4. Act 3's level design (along with the previous acts) were based off a Green Hill Zone hack I made months ago, I didn't want those layouts to go to waste so I remade them for this hack. As for the rocks I put them there because I had a feeling players would feel like they were just holding right to win, I'll try and place those rocks in more appropriate places.

Thanks for your critique. Level design is my main focus when it comes to Sonic hacking, hacks like Sonic 1 the Blue Blur, Westside Island and Sonic 1 Alt are what inspired me to create well thought out levels. I am actually using SonLVL for this project, I really like the features it has which makes creating levels more convenient as opposed to ESEII. 

6. Jaypin

Jaypin Leader Of The Sapphire Squad Member

Is it a glitch, when completing the third act of Grassy Plains that after it goes to the Fourth Act it says "Act 3" and the Same Music comes on again, Compared to the First two acts?

7. TheFieldWarrior

@‌Jaypin: it's not really a glitch, since I used Vladikcomper's S1 Hacking Studio he programed the title card code a little differently so that I can edit the zone names easily in the hacking studio, because of this if the level isn't Scrap Brain Act 3 (AKA Labyrinth Zone Act 4) then it just plays act 3's music and loads act 3's title card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.