General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Alright, I've kept my mouth shut, but I cant anymore, stop putting so much on your plate, not one of these hacks have been worked on enough for you to be moving on to any others, don't bite off more than you can chew. The sky in the palette is the only thing that I like, the green's and orange's you have chosen don't go well together in the foreground, and cause a lot of clashing. You also still have a problem with putting tiles together that match, better than in that first s2 hack you showed, but still needs a lot of work.

edit: Also in regards to object design choices you've made, don't ever put 2 life monitors, next to each other, it makes it easy for the player to horde lives.

Edit2: Also please try to look into the games capabilities, you placed platforms in that one section, like the game doesn't have any limits. You defiantly don't need them to all be idle, you could probably cut down on 10 of those if you used some that move up and down or side to side.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
  2. Stardust

Stardust [screams in cat] Member

Awww... I was hoping for Hydrocity to appear... But Scrap Brain is good enough for me.

3. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
  4. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Is it an issue on my side, or is that image link dead? It doesn't display at all for me, it just shows the file name...

EDIT: Removed the quoted image, due to it being a resource hog.

5. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

There must be an issue on your end, its fine on my end.

6. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Well, maybe not everyone is happy to display a 17-megabytes animated GIF. Aside from the 2× resolution (against which I decided not to argue anymore), that GIF shows abundant amounts of dithering, which is really bad when it comes to GIF compression. I'm not sure which program you used to create it, but please, don't do it again. The 256-colors palette of GIF files is more than enough to store all the colors from a Genesis game, you probably used a program which is particularly bad at computing palettes, or you created a GIF starting from a compressed video; in this case I recommend you to dump the video in a lossless format first.

In the mean time, please, change the image to an external link, because having a 17-megabytes GIF on a forum page can really make things heavy. And there are two of them because of Pacguy's quote (hopefully that one can be removed as well).

7. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

I agree with Nineko. These gifs are so huge and framerate is annoying for me.

8. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

I've changed the animated GIF to an external link, as requested, as I was also having issues loading this page.

ProjectFM, if you want to use animated GIFs to show off your work, please consider others beforehand and compress them appropriately.

9. ProjectFM

Thanks. I didn't know this would be a problem.  I created it by using the JPG recorder in Kega Fusion with the addons that increased the picture quality and used an online converter to convert it to GIF format.

10. nineko

Ugh, that's not what you want to do. Jpeg compression adds artifacts, and the "addons that increase the picture quality" don't play nice with the 256-colors palette of the GIF format. These things, also combined with the double resolution, resulted into a GIF which was both of a lower quality and with a greater file size that it could have been. No big deal, though.

11. ProjectFM

Whoops! I meant AVI.

12. Kaz

Kaz Well-Known Member Member

It's a shame that IP.Board doesn't support embedding WebM files, we have to use external links for that...

13. nineko

It's all a matter of opinions. If it was up to me, I wish external links could be used for everything except static images (and only if there's a low amount of them), I already hate how Youtube videos and Soundcloud things can be embedded as of now. There's no point in a page with 90 videos and 20 megabytes worth of pictures, don't forget that some people are out there with limited internet connections through their phones or something. The magic words "click here, if you want to see what I did" should always apply, in my opinion.

Some people are just playing peacocks trying to make the most resource-intensive pages without even thinking about the people who should matter the most -- the final viewers.

I browse with javascript and plugins disabled at all times, turning them on only whenever I can't avoid that, and the whitelist is extremely short.

Anyway, enough off-topic posts, this topic needs more screenshots. Good screenshots. The 320×224 non-animated kind.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
  14. jubbalub

jubbalub Mania fanboy Member

it's been 3000 years

[​IMG]

15. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

Not moving on the plane except when jumping? Why wasn't this done before?

Is the animation suppose to be that way only on the plane?

16. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

[​IMG]

Some layout edit on my Angel Island act 2(improving layout) and new underwater palette, to much blue?

17. DevEd

DevEd A lol who occasionally doge nothing Member

Yes, there's too much blue there. I would suggest something like this:

[​IMG]

18. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

I think something like this could work:

[​IMG]

19. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

I don't know... the massive difference gives it the same feeling as ARZ, where the level art went from yellow to blue. I find it pretty charming.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
  20. Para_

Para_ A Ghost Member

Great job. Love the Sonic sprite, and it's cool how you made the ground more like dirt... If that was your intention anyways...

Though I'd recommend making the eye's a little smaller, they look kinda stretched out. 

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.