General Screenshot/Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by redhotsonic, Jul 2, 2015.

1. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

I agree with Natsumi. There are way too many hits on this boss in total. I don't mind a boss having multiple phases, but 50+ seems a bit too much. I think you could actually separate the buzz saw attacks, and the bomb attacks, into 2 separate bosses, actually. They are both refined and polished enough that it could work. (Just my idea, mind.)

Also a few audio notes:

• That buzz saw noise; It works, but it gets repetitive quickly. It's also quite loud and distracting. I think a quieter, less over-powering sound would work better. 
    • The alarm that goes off after you beat a phase; it's playing repeatedly, but too quickly, so it's cutting itself off. I think it's originally the Launch Base Zone alarm sound, which plays at the right speed without cut-off there.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015
  2. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

Well, i leave this here.

Thanks to Mercury for the Special Stage Editor!

3. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

What's the point of these crystals that block the emerald? 

4. Burst

They are 4 crystals. A pink, a yellow, a green and a blue. You must hit the Blue Crystal four times so they will disappear. The green crystal only needs 3 hits, the yellow needs only 2 hits, and the pink only one hit. They are existing to block some paths, so you must destroy them first in order to get to the end of the Special Stage.

5. ArcaniaCQ

There is no challenge in that. As seen that you are not really in danger when in that area. Also I would have the special stage longer. And that you do actually have more danger in it. 

6. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

I don't know, you gotta ease the player in somehow. I've personally seen enough hacks that start with marathon special stages to appreciate a simple, short one.

7. Burst

Alright. I will make the Special Stage longer and a little bit harder. 

8. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

I... was disagreeing with CaveQuest. I like how the special stage already is.

9. Burst

Ok. Then i will change nothing on the first special stage :) 

10. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

My main concern is the abundance of bumpers and walls of diamond blocks which do nothing but annoy. As you can see, some things are flickering onscreen because they're all over the place. Perhaps slightly increase the size and tone down on the glass blocks? 

11. ArcaniaCQ

What I mean is that the wall of crystals is just annoying and If it was an original Sonic 1 Special Stage I would get pissed at how annoying it is. I have seen worse but it's in the later stages where it is meant to be hard.

12. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

The special stage is quite bad. All the bumpers about, all the unnecessary glass blocks, etc. What you want to do, is add danger to the situation. Less glass blocks, more goal blocks, which may be easy to avoid, but are there in case you mess up. Look how the original stages are, then try to work something similar to it, but unique.

13. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Diamond blocks are only a good design choice when they're used in a hazardous environment. If the player has to quickly get rid of them or otherwise they'll fall into a goal block, they actually have a purpose. If all they do is to waste time, they are just annoying and, well, waste time. Recursive explanations for the win.

Speaking of which, relevant.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2015
  14. Raionhardt

Raionhardt Vanguard Member

After finished the bulk of Sonic Jam World Remix for Sage, I retook work on HDK and the Sonic Evolution game. Here is the game start screen, fully functional and animated.

[​IMG]

15. Burst

Oh my god, this is awesome!

16. Unused Account

Unused Account Well-Known Member Member

I admit, that looks pretty amazing. One nitpick with it is the 'Press Start Button' text doesn't really stand out that much, but that's just a nitpick.

17. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

That title screen is a little too busy for my taste, and for numerous reasons. The 'Press Start Button' text needs something to make it more visible, as it appears to be behind a filter and has no shading/shadow on it either. The background is nice, but the text of 'Evolution' being on white on white also makes things a bit difficult to see. I like the text effect, but feel it's lost a little at the moment. Finally, the 'Sonic' text is way too over-stylised for my liking. The background inside the letters is a nice touch, but the filters on the outline, and the lighting used, make it look a little flat. I think this is one of those scenarios where less is more. 

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2015
  18. Raionhardt

Raionhardt Vanguard Member

Yeah, this  title screen can be better doing what you guys said. Actually I just going to leave it for this Sage but with a better press start with an outline and a better selection of colors and then change it because I won't have time to make what I was thinking for the final background that is a video with the backgrounds of the special stages rolling on one after the other, if that looks weird I will need to think in another thing for the background.

For the logo, on Sonic, DA Garden is right again, it can have less detail. Originally I wanted something like this and I think I going to remodel a little like this:

[​IMG]

If I could have rendered with reflections on 3Ds Max, I probably would already have this effect, but it didn't wanted to make reflections probably for being perpendicular to the camera, so I did on Photoshop, got sidetracked and made that exageration on details. LOL.

19. Devon

Devon I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Member

After several weeks of studying the MegaCD and looking and experimenting with the ASIC, I finally got it to work, and I've done a basic (and shoddy) rotation:

[​IMG]

The reason it may look a bit weird is because I limited the size of the image buffer and I repeated a some entries in the trace table to fill some space.

Later, I will experiment more with larger images and perhaps less shoddy values for the trace table.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2015
  20. Devon

Devon I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Member

I have been attempting to create a trace table generator, and it's almost complete. It still has some problems with it, but it can do rotation (although, not perfect, and sometimes the scaling gets weird).

This is what I have so far: