General Screenshot/Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by redhotsonic, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on your mod Royameadow! I rarely see Sonic Adventure 2 Battle mods, so it's cool to see someone hacking that game. :) I love the HUD changes the most out of all the changes you've made so far.

2. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

Many thanks, Ravenfreak, I truly am glad that you enjoy what you are viewing from this. :)

I intend to at least have the First Demo ready in time for Sonic Adventure II's Fifteenth Anniversary Special on June 019, with the Revision 00 build becoming available at Sonic Hacking Contest XIV, I might get more than I am anticipating for the First Demo ready before that time comes.
    Royan Vacation '16 is being worked on in conjunction with Volumes 03 to 05 of MIAA Women's Hockey 2015, so I will be going back and forth between the two projects as the months go by to get both of them ready in time for October (MIAA 2015 takes a lot of time due to the labourous roster editing that I have to do, editing artwork is my forte in it), but guaranteed though, everything will be ready for everybody come Sonic Hacking Contest XIV & Sega Homebrew Competition II, truly will be a memorable experience for all in the upcoming months. :)

Ravenfreak likes this.
  3. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

My hack is passing through a re-structuration process, since it received a bad feedback in 2013.
    Ignore the 16:9 video stretch aspect.

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

That's some wonderful news to hear about a re-structure, in my opinion, the team needs a good kick in the teeth as the quality so far has been really poor.

Having said that, I don't know why you showed a video of the title screen, it looks 95% unchanged from the 2013 hacking contest version =$

EMK-20218 likes this.
  5. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

I have been working with this alongside with Nightmare Edition. This is Sonic 1 CaveQuest Edit who does change the music only atm. Let me know what you think.

6. EMK-20218

Oh, man. It would be hard to believe, but I agree to this you said. This hack has been lacking a lot in terms of quality, especially in the level art and in the layout design departments. I was really doing some shitty stuff since then, and it wasn't to least that the project received a very negative feedback in Hacking Contest 2013. But I'm studying different techniques in order to improve the stuff at all (including sound effects, coding and music) in the hack. I hope to provide better stuff soon. That's why I'm reworking the hack practically from the scratch, and I'm correcting a very big load of bugs and stuff. Still, I've restored almost all of the Sonic 1's original art in order to make the new ones to be better than the ones from 2013. As for the title screen, only the background is the same. The code base is the same, but it was fixed and the purpose of the video was to show the screens at all but specially the new logo and the ring from it in which I edited its art to make it less dithered and better, instead of being ugly as it was before.

I'm working really hard. I hope I don't to disappoint the public in the future.

7. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

It's been a long time I edit something in my WIP Sonic 3: LordXernom Edition hack (real life major problems and S1: Return To Homeland). So it's Carnival Night Zone early WIP Video featuring tiles edit, palette change and small level layout edit. I hope this one doesn't sucks. :D

8. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

Not bad actually! Although, I don't think the art style fits with Carnival Night (unless if you are planning changel level's theme at all).

9. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

Thank you NeoFusionBox! Yes, I'm planning change level theme in future... Into sunset Eggman base! :D

10. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

Speaking of S3&K hacks, I think I could put my thing here:

At momment it's a "sneak peek".

11. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

It's not looking too bad at the moment. The layout seems put together well and I'm interested in playing it myself, so that's a positive.
    The palette isn't too bad either, although I'd be interested to see the variants in Act 2 based on this one.

I'd also recommend you look at how the original layout uses the various Object 2F subtypes in this level (Non-animated grass art and log connectors) as, at the moment, you have several floor sections where the art is cut off and require them.

12. EMK-20218

I like it. It looks interesting. Have you shown some different places to explore, what is really good. The object placement seems OK to me. This sunset style color was really unexpected. But a thing which still bothers me are the mountains of the background. Some tiles/blocks seems to be misplaced, though this is just too little for me to consider this stuff as really bad. Keep up improving, dude. You're going the proper way right now!

LordXernom likes this.
  13. EMK-20218

And sorry for double post, but there's another thing revealed. I present you, my save/data select menu.

Credits goes to GenesisFan64 for the code, art and music used during the first development state of the screen.

NiphFM and Unused Account like this.
  14. Unused Account

Unused Account Well-Known Member Member

Nice. I feel like the characters should be animating in some way, like using their running animations. Or idle animations. Or maybe just 'end of act' poses if you have them in your hack... whichever.

15. D.A. Garden

The text on that menu screen is a little too difficult to read. White/Blue on a background that contains almost similar white/blue shades for half of it is causing clashing issues.

I like RadeinSlash's idea, too: either the animated waiting pose or something similar would be a good idea.

The 'Don't Save' option at the bottom; is that a No Save file? (The name is a bit weird) If so, I'd recommend moving it to the top, like S3K (You could even have it above the save files when you enter, so Save File 1 is selected, but going up goes to the 'No Save' file. Having it all the way down at the bottom seems a little counter-intuitive.

There's also quite a bit of flickering going, which is a little jarring. I thought it was YouTube, but after watching carefully, it appears to be the game itself.

16. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

Since Sonic 1: South Island was scrapped cause a data lost, i am now on the way to creating a reboot, calling "Sonic 1: Project Burst". Here is the first special stage beta!

HackGame likes this.
  17. ArcaniaCQ

Ok after watching that video I have complains that may be personal preference but I did not see any Goal/Traps in this. Also What is up with the crystal uses? Do no one even check how the original game did?. Sonic 4 was also terrible in that way but the addition of a time limit made it atleast bareable. Here is an example of why that bother me. http://sonicresearch.org/community/...ced-special-stage-experience.3973/#post-57327

Unused Account likes this.
  18. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

That's why it says "Beta".

19. ArcaniaCQ

Beta or not. I don't like how it is atm. Some stuff you could touch up on is that you add a large room for where the Emerald is and where you can actually fail the special stage. Maybe calm down with the crystal placement and look how the original made an enstablished rule.

20. D.A. Garden

SonicBurst, if that's the case, then why did you even bother to share it? You are obviously looking for feedback, hence you shared this video with us. Yet, when someone gives you feedback, you're response is:
    Really? You think that's an appropriate response?

I watched the video myself. The special stage has issues, right from the start. Using bumpers like that (together, in a row) can allow you to get stuck in them (You even got stuck yourself because of this). Your use of crystal blocks is questionable, like CaveQuest said. All of the walls are using the same blue block with no palette pattern anywhere. Giving the player the chance to get 2 1-UPs together in a single place allows for easy life farming, making lives a bit pointless. There's also too many blocks on some lines, so the graphics start to flicker and disappear.

I don't think this was ready to show off, personally. It's not at a level that looks complete and it could have benefited from some more changes here and there to make it something great.