Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

Oh. Well, there goes my idea for having the Egg Carrier flying in the distance during Sonic's mach speed section. Maybe I'll make a custom background that includes it. It won't be able to move very freely but it'll have to do. Thanks, D.A. Garden!

2. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

the link to the hastebin containing specter's code is there. here it is again in case you missed it (although now that i think of it, i probably should've made the link more obvious).

also, i think i found the problem. i forgot to change the level/object/ring layout includes to the proper names. it was still loading emerald hill's layouts and such, even though i intended for them to not be, hence why i was getting that garbled mess of whatever.

edit: nope, tried fixing that and a few other things and i'm still not getting what i need.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  3. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

Well, I'm once again trying the "add a new zone to sonic 1"

• I did the conversion (I think I have everything right), & followed the tutorial, & somehow other zoned were also effected.
      • GHZ (as you can see) is corrupt, & I didn't mess with anything having to do with GHZ.
      • LZ upon death, very few tiles become blank with lines
      • SBZ 2 & FINAL crashes completely
      • HPZ though says ALPHA BETA ZONE, can't really go nowhere, after 3 seconds, the art becomes corrupt (assuming it's becoming GHZ art) in debug mode you can tell I try to place Sonic somewhere else. The crash I'm assuming is cause I tried to place a capsule somewhere

What was it did I do, & how can I fix HPZ to work right?
        Also, what are the correct coordinates for Sonic's start position in HPZ?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  4. ProjectFM

Whenever I convert zones between games, first, I add the unchanged zone files to the hack. Then I make a copy of the hack's SonED2 file of the zone that's being edited (it doesn't matter which act) and I open it and the SonED2 file of the zone in the disassembly the zone originally came from. I then change the compression and format numbers of the hack's file to the ones of the other SonED2 file and then open up the level in the hack in SonED2. The level should show up normally. Then, without closing SonED2, I replace the changed file with the copy and then save in SonED2. The zone will now by in Sonic 128's format. This requires the collision arrays and angle map from the game the zone came from to be added and switched to when the zone is being played. Also, to fix your zone problems, just readd the zone files from an unmodified version of the disassembly. If you changed them, you'll have to rechange them but it doesn't look like you haven't changed them.

5. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

I just use Main Memory's Level Convert and convert it to both Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 (Yes even if it's a level from Sonic 2 because it puts all the needed files into one folder.). Then I recompress the Sonic 2 files into S1's compression formats and use the object layout from the S1 conversion.

6. KingSerperior

KingSerperior Newcomer Trialist

At the present moment, I'm having trouble getting the Sonic 2 Clone Driver v2 to function correctly. Although the ROM did compile, I'm not getting any kind of sound from it at all in spite of following the installation instructions thoroughly.

Has anyone here successfully installed it?

7. <Deleted User>

<Deleted User> :D Trialist

This is quite a stupid question, but how do i make a ROM hack? I know, i suck at this... :p

8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

What game would you like to hack? Grab a disassembly of whatever game you wish to hack, look up tutorials and make sure to get various different tools. If you want to hack levels, grab Mainmemory's SonLVL tool. Grab SonicMapED so you can edit various sprites. I also suggest you learn more about how the Genesis works and get familiar with 68k ASM by checking out MJ's guide.

9. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

There are like million resources available, and a million equivalent questions like that. Don't be afraid, Google it!

HackGame, Pacca and Crimson Neo like this.
  10. ProjectFM

2 Questions:
    1. I have Sonic 3K's driver in Sonic 1 and it worked fine until recently. Now, weird sounds play whenever the music stops or fades out. Reinstalling the driver including the original sound files doesn't fix anything.
    2. How do I reverse the direction of Obj37 so it comes out the right side of Sonic? The code for calculating the direction is a bit complicated to understand and most changes I make result in the rings getting bunched together.

11. <Deleted User>

I have no idea what you are talking about. What is ASM?

12. <Deleted User>

Can i use HxD or a similar program?

13. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

ASM is short for Assembly. Sonic (and other MegaDrive games) uses 68000 assembly as its main programming language. I recommend you take a look at the disassemblies of classic Sonic games on Sonic Retro.

If you're looking to learn 68000 assembly. MarkeyJester made a guide for it targetted towards beginners.

If assembly editing isn't your cup of tea, there are other ways to make an enjoyable hack. There is a level editor called SonLVL, which is used for disassemblies. There are also other tools like SonMapED, which can be used to edit sprites (keep in mind, you won't be able to edit the graphics directly on there, just how the graphics are arranged to form sprites).

Hex editing is not really recommended for beginners, because it's pretty easy to mess something up if you're not careful.

Also, when starting out, start off slow. Get used to things like level editing and sprite editing first, and then you can move on to learn how to tackle more difficult tasks.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    Pacca, Unused Account and Crimson Neo like this.
  14. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

No, it's not as simple as that. The Sonic games are coded in Motorola 68000 Assembly, an old development language not used as much as before. In order to 'hack' these games, you can approach it one of 2 ways:

1) Edit a ROM image of a Sonic game directly. This isn't recommended anymore, as it has restrictions on what can and cannot be accomplished in this way. Members used to use tools like ESEII and SonED to modify the ROM contents, such as level layouts, palettes, and other various small things. However, this had limitations and restricted the type of modifications available without modifying the code of the game directly. This could be acquired via the use of hex editing, but was time consuming, and cumbersome. This is where disassemblies came into play:

2) Edit a disassembly of a Sonic game ROM image, and then compile this together to make a Sonic ROM hack. There are various disassemblies available, and I'm not going to go into the details, but this allows you to edit almost anything within the game by editing the existing assembly code, or writing new code. There are also level editors available for disassemblies, such as SonED2, and SonLVL.

However, I must ask, what are you looking to do for this ROM hack? This usually affects the path you take, and what you can ultimately accomplish.

Pacca and Devon like this.
  15. Pokepunch

Pokepunch That guy who posts on occasion Member

How does Sonic 2 change the music back to normal after Super Sonic runs out? I've not been able to locate where this happens, can somebody point me in the right direction?

16. Painto

Painto Arthurus Paintus Erinaceus Member

I think it does it by setting invincibility_time(a0) to #1 in Sonic_RevertToNormal: (later it's used in Obj01_ChkInvin:.)

Pokepunch likes this.
  17. Unused Account

Unused Account Well-Known Member Member

How could I disable the jump? I've done it... sort of. It's glitchy, and pressing jump while against a wall will send me to the back of the level.

18. ProjectFM

Do you want to get rid of the jump code or do you want to check if an address is set to a certain number. If you're remove the jump code, just delete Sonic_Jump, Sonic_JumpHeight, and Sonic JumpAngle and every branch to them. If your checking for an address, add a tst or cmp at the beginning of Sonic_Jump and have it branch to the next locret if the address is the way you want it to be.

Also:

Unused Account likes this.
  19. <Deleted User>

My antivirus said SonLVL had a virus.

20. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

You should probably get a better anti-virus then, because SonLVL has nothing of the sort.