General Screenshot/Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by redhotsonic, Jul 2, 2015.

1. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

I don't think this is in a state to show off just yet. The palette needs a little work, and the preliminary layout you have has many questionable segments, such as a lack of Green Hill Zone walls, objects that appear to be floating or used incorrectly, and even a few unfair moves right at the start. At the moment, there's a lack of interest from myself in this potential project.

EDIT: Added quote due to new page.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    LordXernom likes this.
  2. Unused Account

Unused Account Well-Known Member Member

That title screen music legitimately sounds like farts.

...how old am I again?

pixelcat, Niko and Chaotix like this.
  3. AbyssalLeopard

AbyssalLeopard Well-Known Member Member

I wonder how nobody has commented on this yet. Warrior, I would basically say that what you have done there is good so far, but I have noticed little details like the cut palmtrees in the beginning of the level (I know it's a prototype, but I'm just saying). The palette and layout seem to be following a great direction in general, though - great work. Oh, and I forgot to mention, it would be a nice idea to add paths that could be more easily accessible by using the jumpdash. I mean, now that you have got this ability, why not make it useful?

4. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

Thank you for the feedback D.A. Garden. It's very helpful - I'll do my best to fix issues in my hack. RaideinSlash, title screen is suppose to sound like farts to show a dark and fucked up feeling - that's why I called my hack Sonic In Wasteland (or maybe I'm wrong with music choice, if I'm wrong I'll change this). :)

5. Chaotix

Chaotix Bad at Team Fortress 2 Member

The title screen music, as @RaideinSlash stated, sounds like farts. I would change it to something more dark in tone rather than dark in notes.

Also, there doesn't appear to be many walls here, which is needed considering your first level needs to make a good impression. Falling down just because there wasn't a wall where there was supposed to doesn't exactly want the player to carry on, do they?

That is looking very promising so far. Keep it up!

LordXernom likes this.
  6. TheFieldWarrior

TheFieldWarrior Warrior of the Fields Member

Thank you AbyssalLeopard, I am glad you like what I have so far, the reason why that particular plamtree is sort of cut off is because I used an incorrect palmtree chunk, as for making use of the jump dash I have plans on making shortcuts that Sonic can access using it, though these particular shortcuts might require you to do things such as spin dash jumping off of an incline to reach a higher platform.

7. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

Thought about the Blood Factory Act 3 atm. Here is a sneek preview.
    Sonic 1 NE Blood Factory Update001.png

8. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

Funny, that palette reminds a one I did for my hack, Sonic 1: Emerald Land:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, that palette is not good, but is not bad either. Hope the image above server as example.

9. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Awesome, dude. That's a great tune! I loved it.

Wow! It's really better. But as a suggestion, what about if you try to implement to the main text (Sonic Scorched Quest) the same shading/lightening effect the 'Press Start Button' has? It would be nice, though I really like it the way it is. Also, the blue background of the text seems to be in need of the same (current) treatment too.

Ahah! So I wasn't the only one who thought about this.

You're correct about the "Edition" text to be a lot overused by hacks recently. But I found 'Burned Edition' very nice too. Wouldn't at least the "Burned" text have been kept too? Hm... Kinda like... 'Burned Quest'.The originality will not be changed too much this way. ...I think.

10. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

Sonic 1 Nightmare Edition have it's own new Special stage 1 and 2. However there is a catch to the 2nd special stage and it will get worse and worse! from there. Anyway enjoy.

11. Pokepunch

Pokepunch That guy who posts on occasion Member

I decided to spice Super Sonic up a bit for my hack:

12. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    The idea looks workable, but it needs some tweaking to feel "right". Try making the after-image sprites flicker so that they are seemingly transparent. Needs something else, but exactly what escapes me at the moment...

13. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

How about not making the after-images appear until Sonic is at a high speed? They're supposed to give him the illusion of going extremely fast, aren't they?

14. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

Not a bad idea with the after images, though I think it would be better to have it set when he is at his fastest as clownacy already suggested.

15. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I also agree. That's what I did with my S2R hack. IIRC, setting it on at 300velocity or more would look pretty good. As it's Super Sonic, maybe set it to 450v or more.

16. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

Either that, or do something alike to what I did on accident.

(Skip to 2:00 to see what I mean.)

17. Pokepunch

Pokepunch That guy who posts on occasion Member

I've just decided to go back and use the S3K after image method, the KiS2 art conversion code I used required more RAM space than I initially thought. Oh well.

18. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

19. Chaotix

Chaotix Bad at Team Fortress 2 Member

PFFFFFFPT

Oh yay, it's Sonic CD Movie Edition! In all seriousness it better be better than LJN's version lol

20. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I liked what I played when I play-throughed your hack for the contest. So this is something I am definitely looking forward to. Saying that though, if this is meant to be the title screen, then the BTTF logo needs to be lowered a little bit, and Sonic more centered (lowered).