Looking for level designers!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Raionhardt, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Raionhardt

Raionhardt Vanguard Member

Hello folks.

I am looking for skilled level designers with experience that may be interested in working in a high end realistic Sonic Adventure styled game with branched level design, 3d and 2d gameplay sections and exploration sections.

This person need to have the following:
    -Previous experience and show work as maps, level layouts or others.
    -Skills the person may have is work smart and creative with space and platforms, creating challenges and level layouts that may be fun and interesting to cross, knowing that less is more and making use of the least resources to make the most cool paths, even thought the engine have a extended number of resources of gimmicks.
    -Must know how to make use of the classic branched level design that have multiple paths, using the characters skills and resources to balance risk/reward of each.
    -May have the skill to draw top or isometric layouts of exploration areas inside natural environments, indicating where things go. No need for too much detail, exploration areas are simple.

Important personal characteristics are:
    -Must is have open mind to game ideas and not be biased for game style and appearance;
    -Be of good character, ethical, trustful and true;
    -Understand that even with all those professional stuff above, no one boss anyone, this is a fan game done for fun, and the person work as much as they can, but must have dedication, not disapear without explanation and fulfill the compromise of a minimum workload acording to the personal agenda;

A little about the game.
    Sonic Evolution is a game that I develop in Unreal Engine 4, using high end graphics, it runs on my custom framework Hedgehog Development Kit. I didn't announced it officially yet, probably next month will do it. It does offer many resources. The game have 8 levels and 7 special stages. Levels have realistic and high end design and graphics, while special stages have abstract and surreal ideas running on then, each one being different.
    I work with 3d fan games since early 2012, having all that time of experience on Unreal tech. I am also a generalist 3d. The links for my work and the game are the following:
    www.raionhardt.cf

www.sonicevolution.cf
    http://www.youtube.c...haosforcestudio
    www.ricsonic.deviantart.com

This was a little professional, but that is how I do my stuff. Thanks if you read until here. hehehehhehe.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

At first I thought this was going to be a thread asking for someone to make their hack for them. I see I couldn't have been further from the truth. Your portfolio is lovely and professional. I would be personally honoured to work with you. If anyone hasn't gone to his links, I would strongly recommend doing so.

I've done level design starting with simple hacks back in 1999. I consider it my personal specialty. I've also designed levels for Sonic fan games and I've drawn some level concept art. I do indie development of games with my wife (I'm lesbian), and all our projects use UE4. This means I have experience doing 2D and 3D level design and experience working in and with UE4.

An example of my level design can be seen in the fangame "Sonic Gemini" by DM Ashura (of Dance Dance Revolution fame) which was released back in 2009. I did the level design for the second level, Memento Temple. I used to have tons of level designs on paper, but they were lost during a devastating event in my life that I'd rather not explain. At this point, the best I can offer is the ability to play the level I created in Sonic Gemini.

http://clearimagery.net/sonicgemini/downloads/

You can see an unfinished level layout that I did for Desert Palace from Sonic 3 2 player being played on a youtube video recorded by MarkeyJester. The original design that was done on paper was also lost in the same event I mentioned previously. I couldn't find the MarkeyJester video, so I have another one instead!

I do have some conceptual work I did about fifteen years ago on a 3D Hidden Palace Zone. I was actually planning on doing this in Unreal in the not too distant future.

[​IMG]

Old boss design for Sonic Gemini that I don't believe was ever added (project was canceled before then):

[​IMG]

I combed my HDD for the original paper layout of Memento Temple from Sonic Gemini, but it must have been on the HDD that I lost during that devastating event. If it seems that a lot was lost to that single event you would be right. I lost everything I owned including heirlooms I had collected throughout my life. Every single thing. I'd be happy to draw up another level to show something off if you're interested, though.

TL; DR -- I'm interested. I have easily 15 years experience with Sonic level design in particular and also know my way around UE4. At the very least, I'd love to get in touch and share ideas. It seems we share some similar goals!

redhotsonic and Raionhardt like this.
  3. Raionhardt

Simply amazing. Thank you very much for the cumpliment on the site and my work!

I went to look for your work, unfortunatelly the demo of the Memento Zone didn't worked, neither download links worked. But your work is great for what I saw. A friend of mine who know your work on the comunity also said your work is great and that you organized the hacking contest, worked on some hacks and was a frequent user on Retro.

Since you both uses UE4, I can help you too sharing info or assets if you have any need. I am also looking foward to talk! Do you have skype? Mine is ricardopedrojr. Talk to you later!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  4. AdelTheQadi

AdelTheQadi Leader of the anti body pillow movement Member

I'm gonna reply here as a placeholder for myself

I'd be very interested in helping out designing levels for this project of yours, but there is no way I'd be able to contribute full-time dedication until somewhere in May. (I'm VERY busy at the moment with job issues and schooling). I've built sections of 3D stages in first person shooter projects and slower 3rd person platforms. Said stages are deep in my old hard drive somewhere that I'll dig up later on. I've specialized mainly in mechanical/industrial environments (cities, under construction or demolished; military-like forts, bases, outposts, etc), but can definitely build lush and lively natural environments (forests, beaches, plains, etc). Once I'm able to give dedication (if you'd still be designing and plotting right before the summer), I can upload reference works and concepts, etc. I have talked to you before about UE4 and said how my knowledge is still limited, but I do know enough about assembling environments, and I've been working with the material editor and made some that look fairly realistic. I am much better though at modeling out stage parts in an external program that can later be imported. Like I said though, when I'm free, I'll get back to you with level designing references and such (I swear I'm not just all talk :p )

5. Raionhardt

Sorry for not repplied you before, wasnt being frequent on foruns last month.

Yeah, you presented your work before on that topic I did about CG, I know you know your way around. You may have read that I just ask that the person have a minimum compromise. It is not like have to do a lot of stuff full time. There are guys who help me with small things like fix rigging problems, making the renders I can't afford to let my machine do while I'm working on UE4 and painting concept arts, and besides be small stuff, they help me greatly because it fills my weaknesses. Besides that, a new programmer that is working with me on HDK made the light dash, light attack, grinding and momentum physics and other stuff I was having trouble too for not being a pro programmer like him.

I've also have to present Sonic Evolution on a topic, I am just finishing Fang model to present both characters, him, enemies and levels all together. I'm too want to not look like I am all talk, lol!

But when you have time, and if you already have some free time, even if is to talk, tell me so we can discuss stuff, and I can show the progress and all things that are done already on the game.

6. <Deleted User>

<Deleted User> :D Trialist

I could go level designing, i am new to SonED2 and it's going great!

7. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

@MopeDude
    Why don't you try learning about what makes well designed level in a Sonic game and practice before you offer your help to someone looking for professionals?

Crimson Neo and Clownacy like this.
  8. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

2D and 3D level design are two entirely different beasts mate. So no offense, but unless you have some experience with 3D modeling programs, or have some pretty good levels that you've designed over the years, this isn't really the project for you.

ProjectFM likes this.
  9. Raionhardt

Do you have some work to show?

Why don't you try understanding what I meant when I posted this topic?

Also, In which part of my text is implicit that I don't know level design, so that I need to learn? I know and have pratice, and I could do it. Now, if I want to focus on what is my professional skill, that is 3d general fields, what is the matter in I look for the help of a seasoned level designer that would have much more skills to assist me than do it alone?

Have you seen my portfolio, resume, youtube, devianart or my game site? Have you read about the level design I planned on the game site? No offense, but why don't you look for information before posting things based on supositions?

And with both comments, ProjectFM and Misinko got to conclude things based on supositions, without the necessary information. Did any of you have seen any of my level designs or the planning and workflow I am taking to make it? Have any of you seen any kind of progress or work I've done in the past? If you had the work of reading Ayla post and learned about my works, you both would have known what kind of person you are adressing in professional level, and would have not shamed yourselves saying things that doens't fit reality. You are not talking to a child here and not someone of your level of mindset.

10. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Hey, hey, time out here. Raionhardt, Misinko and ProjectFM are not talking about your work at all. They're talking about MopeDude, who while kind enough to offer help, really didn't show any example of his work. Might want to read twice before you lash out, yourself.

Chill, people.

11. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

Hey Ricardo! Just a heads up, but ProjectFM and Misinko were specifically speaking to MopeDude (which is the reason it said "@MopeDude" at the beginning of his post). MopeDude simply does not have the experience that ProjectFM thought you were looking for. He doesn't. He has some experience with SonED and no experience with Unreal Engine.

I'm about recovered from my PC disaster that happened awhile back. I just reinstalled UE4 about four days ago. I'm about ready to think seriously about assisting with some level design stuff. I could put together some greyboxed levels if you're interested.

12. Raionhardt

Well, I returned here to not know where I hide myself, missed big time there guys, very sorry Misinko and ProjectFM, really made a horrible mistake there and I just glad I didn't responded worse to not had made the situation worse to myself, so I ask both that please forgive me on that. I didn't saw the @MopeDude note ProjectFM put. Unfortunatelly, after having the well done project of a friend been bashed around in other forum, and missed that tag, I completelly passed the thing for being sent to me. Seems that I was with hot head today, but it is not an excuse for my mistake, really, I'm very sorry for that.

No problem Ayla, I was even thinking about if you had your problem fixed by now after returned to check this topic. Feel free to do as you think is better. Blocking level design is good for preview, if you need some shapes for the level like ramps or other models while your pc is not fully fixed, tell me and I send by email anything needed.